Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 5mm

Boolit Bub

5mm

Anybody have a Remington 5mm mag that still shoots it? What are they worth and what is ammo worth? I have one with about 10 boxes of ammo that I was toying with the idea of selling it. Is there any market for them now? Thanks

The ammo is worth more than the rifle. I've seen it selling for $75 a box at gun shows to people that love the accuracy and performance of the Remington 591/592 bolt guns and are desperate for ammo. No one wants the rifles without the ammo. I've seen them sit in racks unsold for $100. A ranch foreman I know still carries one and has killed untold coyotes and a few pigs with his but he does NOT target shoot with it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

5mm

I bought one for squirrels planning to convert to 5mm Craig (centerfire). Even bought a mould for it (before I got Rifle). Never bought the ammo Águila put out a few years ago. Mine’s a 591, lip fed. Would have preferred tube fed 592.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Around 15 years ago I bought 6 bricks at a local auction. It blew every ones minds there when bid it to $350 bucks and I won.

Sold them by the box on GB for over $125 each single box. I owned a shop then and knew they would sell well made a truly great profit on that buy. I did not bid on the rifle that was with them.

Banned
    wish someone would make the ammo again as it was a heck of a good round, now a days I use the HMR

The 5mm (and now the 17 HMR) stomp the .22 Magnum in accuracy IME.

Boolit Master

With that many rifles out there, is there any common conversion that can be made, like 22 lr or 22 mag.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

5mm

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    With that many rifles out there, is there any common conversion that can be made, like 22 lr or 22 mag.
    Check out http://jamescalhoon.com. He has info on converting them to centerfire. See price list - drawings. He also sells removed .22 hornet barrels.
    Also check out http://5mmforums.com/forums/. There was a Steve Schraeder in California doing a centerfire conversion. Bet his info is within the forum somewhere. He used hornet brass turned down. The Craig was with proprietary made brass turned from bar stock if memory serves. Dies/ brass were Not interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 10-21-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - Aguila made some ammo. Check this out:

Aguila Ammunition 5mm Remington Magnum 30 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Boolit Mold
    I have 6) 5mm's.....3) 591's & 3) 592's. Don't ask me why other then they all came cheap and some had ammo then I lucked until many many bricks dirt cheap. The last gun I bought came with the original bolt & a center fire conversion bolt that I will never use. May have to sell it??

I have a 591 that I've had since I bought it new. I don't think I shot it between oiling it up in the early 80s and the year Aguila dropped all that new ammo around '06/'07. It was always OK, but I should have gotten a tube fed model.
    Not sure I'd want to convert to the centerfire. I do recall having a hell of a time with the bolt sticking last time I shot it with the Aguila. Might need the heck scrubbed out of it or maybe the Aguila wasn't perfectly to spec? It's a safe queen.

I'd just prefer Aguila makes another run of ammo. Heck they are still making small amounts of .22 win auto for that old 1903! I think I remember the debacle was Aguila was to make the ammo in 2 varieties and Taurus? was to release a couple of new guns for it?

On the positive side, thing always shot like a laser beam compared to 17HMR or 22WMR. Now I have NOT tried that 17 WSM, but I hear folks say it shoots very similar to the 5mm. Anyone tried it out? I expected that one to die out immediately but it seems to be hanging on somewhat. 5mm is deadly on small game having roughly ~twice the energy of 17HMR at all the ranges if I recall right. Haven't looked at that 17wsm.

I see the rifles go pretty cheap lately, but ammos been ~$30/40 a box around here when it comes up at shops and shows. Not seeing any original boxes anymore, just the Aguila now and that seems to be priced similarly if not more. I know a shop an hour anyway has a couple of 500rnd cases but they wanted $50 a box!! $1/round is too rich for my blood. I should have bought a lot more of it when it was out.

With 22LR being $0.04-$0.10 for decent hollow points and 17 WSM, 17 HMR and 22 WMR being in the 13-17 and 15-20 cent range (9mm price ranges) not sure it makes sense to do anything but sell or wait with the 5mm.