Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm losing steam trying to develop accurate cast 9mm.

^^^^ I forgot to mention this in my Response^^^^^ You need a baseline to compare you reloads to.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    How does it shoot with factory ammo and handloaded jacketed bullets? You have to start with a baseline and sometimes that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    ^^^^ I forgot to mention this in my Response^^^^^ You need a baseline to compare you reloads to.

Randy

I am hearing/reading an echo....

Imagine that...

Post#41:

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Marek313,

I think it is best to use the most stable position & rest you can, to test accuracy and verify where the firearm is shooting with a "baseline" ammunition before you try to work on any changes & then do the changes, "one change at a time", without doing any other changes, to get the best most accurate results of what is happening .

G'Luck with your testing & experiments. See ya around...
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-20-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    Thats another thing I wanted to check again because a while back I loaded some Lee 358-158-RF
    This bullet works very well for me in 9mm (357 size) with case full of slow powder (3N37) @ 950fps. Just expand the case deep enough. Sized 356 it is easier to load and still shoots clean (Hi-Tek) but the accuracy is not there. 357 is very accurate,like a good J-load.

I use those in a Tanfoglio pistol and a suppressed B&T carbine.

Boolit Master
    I started casting for the 45 acp with soft pure + tin and it worked wonderfully , but when I started on the 9mm it was very aggravating but worked out after reading the sticky mentioned above I switched to a 50/50 alloy and got the brass to stop sizing down the boolits during loading with a 38 Smith and Wesson expander . I tried some plain base checks but at the loads I load they were unnecessary after working out my other problems . The little 9 is a lot of fun when you get it all sorted out .

Boolit Buddy
    Back to the basics it is and as many of you pointed out with 9mm its mostly sizing and swaging down issues
    Rechecking everything I found out that my bullets are getting sized down to .355 after seating and before FCD. I'm pretty sure I checked this before multiple times and I didnt have this problem. I might have used little bit harder alloy back then so maybe thats what helped it keep its size bit right now its definitely a problem. I just ordered NOE exp plugs in .357 and .358 so hopefully one of those will work and stop swaging my bullets.

Boolit Master
    I found I was smashing them down wile seating the cast boolits after I went through the trouble of getting them lubed and sized at .357 , after I fixed that it was smooth sailing .

I'm shooting a CZ75, Saeco 928 sized & lubed .358", mixed cases, 3.5 grains of Promo, loaded on a Dillon. These shoot very well but I've never took the time to put them on paper though I've run a couple thousand through the gun. Maybe it's not as good as I thought? Think I'll shoot it on paper this summer. The gun is in Nebraska at present.

Let me correct myself. I have put a few on paper when I started with the CZ.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hp?238677-Cz75

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    Back to the basics it is and as many of you pointed out with 9mm its mostly sizing and swaging down issues
    Rechecking everything I found out that my bullets are getting sized down to .355 after seating and before FCD. I'm pretty sure I checked this before multiple times and I didnt have this problem. I might have used little bit harder alloy back then so maybe thats what helped it keep its size bit right now its definitely a problem. I just ordered NOE exp plugs in .357 and .358 so hopefully one of those will work and stop swaging my bullets.
    Stop using the LFCD, that might be 50% of your problem.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^^^^^ agreed. The Lee taper crimp die does a much better job without running the risk of swaging your boolits down after you went through all that trouble to size and seat them properly

Notice that he said before using the FCD. He isn't blaming that die at this point.

Boolit Buddy

I've never found a cartridge harder to load for accuracy than the 9mm. Not saying it can't be done. But I've shot $2,000 Wilson Combat ar9s, $2,000 1911s and lots of polymer pistols and they were all a pain when it came to making them shoot well. Of course accuracy is a subjective thing. For me I'll take sub 2" groups at 20 yards from a bench. But I really hope for sub 1.5" at 20 yards. Now I've managed to find loads that bring most of my 9mm pistols under 2" at 20. But it was work. As somebody mentioned chambers and bores are all over the place when it comes to 9mm. I've owned 1911s that will shoot and chamber 358-158-RF OTOH never found an M&P that you could come close to chambering that bullet in. Another issue I seem to have with 9mm is consistency. I've shot more sub 1" 20 yard groups with my Dan Wesson Valkyrie than any open sighted pistol I've owned. The problem is, invariably, the next group will be 2-3 inches. Drives me crazy! I've been hoping MiHec will have another run of gas checked 147 grain HP moulds soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234