Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage press recommendation?

Boolit Bub

Vintage press recommendation?

Hi all,

I'm keeping my eyes out for a quality vintage (in this case, probably post-WWII, pre-1990's) single stage reloading press. I know the RCBS A-2 press has a great reputation. What other presses would you recommend from this time period? I'm doing mainly pistol reloading, but want something stout enough to handle deer-caliber rifle rounds also. Leaning mainly toward Redding and RCBS, but open to other suggestions.

Which are your favorites?

Boolit Buddy

Take a look at a Pacific Super Deluxe. It is a stout press.
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

It doesn't take super strong press to reload pistol and rifle ammo. The big brusers really shine when doing case forming and bullet swaging operations. If you are not doing case forming and bullet swaging, there no sense in having an A-2 or similar press. Any cast iron press from Lyman, Pacific, Herters, CH, RCBS and Redding will do the job you want.

I have an RCBS A2 and several 1950's Pacific C presses. When it comes to reloading rifle and pistol ammo, the Pacifics will do just as good a job as the A2.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I would also consider the old Bonanza Coax press. While still made it dates back many years and was considered one of the best or premier press for many many years. For pistol rounds one of the lyman truline jrs would be fun to use.

Banned

I have two A2s and a Big Max
    Those fit the bill

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasalotta Really Big Presses. Younger son hasa Dillon Progressive.
    Told him when he starts to reload .300RUM, let Dad to the case prep.
    (Have my OWN Dillon -sofar for Fun Guns.)

Want Son to save wear 'n tear on HIS Dillon - and get proper headspace.
    THEN reload Dad's prepped cases on HIS Dillon.

Boolit Bub
    Gonra, sounds like you have a good plan going!

Since I may reload .300 win mag and 45-70 later on, I'm leaning toward finding a larger "O" or "H" style press. And I appreciate a well-made piece of equipment.

Banned
    You won't go wrong with any of the RCBS A series presses, they have the power to full length resize anything you can fit in them. That said, my favorite is the 1967 Rockchucker. It will do everything the bigger A's will do on a more user friendly frame. RCBS had the market cornered with it's patent until the mid 1970's for the swing arm, variable power linkage design, the only design with real power. Everyone else was stuck using the older (4 to 1) Pacific style linkage.

Bonanza is great, look for an early one painted Herter's brown.

Another fun press is the Forester Automatic Turret press, if you can find one.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Hollywood Senior

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	229004
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    For bench candy get a Hollywood Universal 12 station turret, or a Pacific super Mag press.

The super mag has three rams a compound linkage that is attached at the top of the press.

Boolit Grand Master

Any single stage will work for reloading. The big presses shine for case forming. But even then the old ones w/ simple linkages fail in comparison to modern compound linkage presses. I have an A2 and honestly don’t see a need for it. The Lee Classic Cast press I have will handle anything I throw at it. I personally find the ergonomics on a lot of presses to be bad. There are lots of old presses that command stupid amounts of money because they’re old. They aren’t going to load more accurate ammo than a modern press. I have no problem paying for the best tool available regardless of cost. The old presses aren’t the best tools available.

Banned
    My favorite is a Redding #7 c frame and I have Hollywoods, A2's Pacifics and others

Boolit Master
    I had a little trouble a few years ago resizing some 300 Winchester once fired military brass , until a reloading buddy gifted me a older Pacific 007 single stage press . Now I can pretty much (smash ) anything I want to brass wise .

There are a lot of good presses out there from those decades. It really comes down to cost, what your willing to spend. A good A series RCBS is probably going to be one of your more reasonably priced presses. A Hollywood or bonanza will be more expensive. And there will be some closer to the RC and others up there with the other 2.

Boolit Master
    My favorite early press is the Lyman AA. Excellent access to the shellholder and the primer punch sits right in the front and doesn't move.

Boolit Master
    Started reloading rifle and pistol in the late 60's with my buddy's Lyman Spartan C press and later got one of my own. Think I paid about $20 new. Used it for over 20 years and got a Lee Challenger for my son and then used that for rifle until he moved and took it and replaced it with an RCBS RC. About 10 years later got a Lyman T mag cheap off a member here and now use that for 45ACP (only pistol I load for now).

Boolit Bub
    RCBS Rockchucker hard to beat and can be easily converted to progressive with their Piggyback unit

I love my Herter's Model Super 3. Very strong and plenty of leverage.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using a Bair Grizzley and a Bair Brown Bear as regular use presses, as well as a Hollywood Jr.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I started out on a Pacific Super press, still use it. For full length sizing, the compound linkage RCBS Rockchucker sure makes light work of it. Came across a Lyman Spar T turrent that I set up for pistol, very convenient. Whenever I come across old reloading stuff at gun shows or garage sales, I grab them. Never paid more than 40 bucks, most a lot less. Went to a shooting range with a friend last week, they had a table of free stuff. Picked up an old dirty & filthy Bair press and a 450 sizer, can't believe they sat there all day until I grabbed them. They did look pretty sorry tho. Spent a couple of hours cleaning them up, both nice serviceable units now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast