MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Your best .45-70 handload for hogs?

Boolit Buddy

Your best .45-70 handload for hogs?

Given the incredibly wide range of .45-70 load levels and bullet choices that can be done, and that almost all will do the job on hogs, I am just wondering what the handloaders have found as your BEST .45-70 hog load?

Wondering what specific bullet you chose and what load level have proved ideal.

And some examples from the field on the really big hogs would be interesting to know!

Boolit Grand Master

A NOE 400gr GCFP with a stiff dose of Varget. Pass through on any animal I’ve shot with that load.

There was a time I would have said this.
    Shot with a 2x scout scope on a 16" Marlin.

But I was less than impressed with the 300gr JHP's performance on deer, so I switched to a different load/powder and 400gr FP's. I'd share that load, though not as accurate, but I don't have a photo.
    Former cylindersmith.

My best is Hornady 300gr JHP / 50.0gr IMR-3031/ approx 1600fps. My rifle is a early Marlin 1895
    and I have shot clover leafs off bench with scope. It kills deer dead. In fact every bullet I have used
    both Jacket & cast are more than enough for deer, black bear and hawgs. Do what you want but the
    specialty bullets that are now being sold are nothing but hype to make money. In original 45/70s I
    shoot the Ideal Gould Express HP 322gr cast/ 20.5gr H-2400/ approx. 1300fps. Have shoot deer with
    Rem RBs and Trapdoors with this load with no complaints. I'm not saying the specialty bullets won't
    do the job. They will, but they aren't necessary on this class of game. Most don't realize that in states like Ohio, the big game was shot to extinction with small caliber Muzzel loading rifles. Also
    every season there are thousands of hunters taking same game with 357s, 44mgs and 45 Colt in
    handguns, let alone carbines & rifles. The main thing is to come up with a bullet & load that is accurate in your particular rifle. Nothing makes up for a poor shot.

Other than a 12 ga, the biggest caliber I've killed a hog with is the .45 ACP. With a rifle, the biggest I've used is the 30-30. Pretty much any 45-70 load will kill any size pig stone dead. Aim for bones if you don't want to follow a blood trail as it runs away from a heart/lung hit. Head shots are best- if you can shoot in the millisecond it stops head movement! Good hunting!

Boolit Grand Master
    415gr cast (old group buy - 460420), 40 gr 3031. my friends call it the "matrix" load. -- switches off the life force.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Good to know with the .45-70 a guy virtually never does not have enough gun.