MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need to bring ice?

Boolit Buddy
    Six in one hand and a half dozen in the other. . .either way I think you'll be fine. I would definitely pull the guts though! Good luck.

Snowed Sunday about 6 inches in Denver, this weekend projected 65 deg on Sunday. I always take ice if it more then 30 min from house or butcher. I like to get the meat cooling as soon as possible.

Was in Burns on Sunday and it took us 4.5 hrs to make a 3 hr drive, The tunnel was a 80 min nightmare (Silverthorn to Georgetown).

Boolit Master
    Quarter and deboned in the field with a doe you are going to be packing out maybe 50 pounds. Put it in the cooler in the truck with frozen milk jugs, stop at the gas station before you get home throw a couple bags of ice on the meat. Leave it a couple days drain the blood water replace with more ice. I don't drag and I don't gut anymore.

I killed an elk on Monday and had it broke apart in game bags in just under an hour.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Quarter and deboned in the field with a doe you are going to be packing out maybe 50 pounds. Put it in the cooler in the truck with frozen milk jugs, stop at the gas station before you get home throw a couple bags of ice on the meat. Leave it a couple days drain the blood water replace with more ice. I don't drag and I don't gut anymore.

I killed an elk on Monday and had it broke apart in game bags in just under an hour.
    How do you remove the tenderloins?

Boolit Master
    Here’s a couple short videos of how I access the tenderloins, I also took the heart and liver out of this deer through this hole.

#1 t-handle saw to cut the two floating ribs and backbone.....if you get the saw deep and pull it like your yanking a chainsaw started you can get both ribs in one stroke on a deer or antelope. 50% of the time I can get elk with one yank.

https://youtu.be/Zhf_xy5dvtY

#2 knife used to cut connective tissue and top of abdominal wall.

https://youtu.be/xV9-Y_i6g5s

3 to 4 minutes total to extract them on a deer and antelope maybe 5 to 8 minutes on an elk.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 10-19-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    If you skin her in the field it will not be a problem, otherwise ice in the body cavity. The quicker the hide comes off, the quicker the meat can cool, quicker cooling, better meat.
    This ^^^^^.
    In warm weather - Gut,skin, and hang it head down to drain the blood out as soon as possible.

Brian Hammond and some Mule deer we harvested in our youth. -15 C so we didn't skin so the blood would drain before the meat froze.

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2762.jpg  
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

I ended up shooting the doe just after sunset, so between a rapidly dropping air temp and the two milk jugs of ice I stuffed in the cavity, I think she cooled down quick. Was home and skinning about 3 hours after I pulled the trigger.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    An hour isn't alot of time especially if your gut her out after killed
    I would probably not worry about it IF you get to butchering it as soon as you
    arrive home should be fine
    Agreed.. If you work in the restaurant industry, you know you have a magical 4 hours from safe to not safe food.

An hour I would not sweat over at all.. not even 2 hours.. at 3, I'd want to have some frozen milk jugs.. in the cavity.. and / or ice over the skinned carcass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12