Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder Coating and Black Powder ?

Boolit Master

Powder Coating and Black Powder ?

I have been working up some deer hunting loads using a 400 gr cast bullet , that I am casting out of 10 parts pure lead and 1 part WW
    As I am hoping to get some expanding , when shot out of the 45/70 Marlin

A friend looked at the powder coated bullets and liked the look
    So he ask if he could use powder coated bullets in his 45/70 Trap Door using Black powder ?
    LOL IMO a hint he would like some FREE bullets to try

I don't care , he can just help smelt next time

But I got the wondering , will black powder and the powder coating make a mess in his barrel ?

If it will , he will just have to help cast in a week or 2

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I'd try it. I'd still use a black powder lube on them if it were me. I understand that part of the lube's job with black powder is to keep the fouling soft.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    It's worth a try. Report back to us- it's a good little experiment! Other than potentially a little more (or less) barrel cleaning than usual, I don't think he has much to lose.

Boolit Master

There's a thread on this topic running in 'Coatings and Alternatives' but no real consensus has been reached because no one has come forward with results of empirical testing. I shoot quite a bit of BP and agree with previous poster...without lube to soften it, powder fouling will most likely become a issue within just a few rounds.

I've got some PC'd 300-grainers I shoot over smokeless in my .38-55. Will load a half-dozen or so over FFFg and see how they work next time I'm at the range.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Keeping the fouling soft (hydrated) and keeping the lead from actually contacting the barrel steel are both functions of black powder lubes. I have no experience with powder coated cast bullets in rifle length barrels but a grease cookie or greased wad beneath the bullet works well when used with paper patched bullets, so should work with powder coated bullets as well. Another way to deal with black powder fouling is to shoot a duplex load. The higher burning temperature of the small nitro charge ashes the unburned charcoal and sulfur. As long as the coating keeps the lead from smearing off onto the bore a duplex load should not require lube.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    I tried it, not real good, then I put a card stock a grease cookie and a card over the charge under the boolit did better. Havent got back to it as having trouble shooting rifles due to some health problems.
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    As to OP’s question. I would just load them like he normally would for a BP 45/70 load. I don’t believe he will see any difference from a normal non pc cast bullet. I have shot pure lead pc’d R.E.A.L bullets I cast in my inline with and without a wad. I was having trouble with bullet consistency so I changed to using my 44 cast bullets with a sabot, but I had no issues as far as function or cleaning that was any different than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would definitely use a grease cookie with BP.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

While the powder coat will reduce or eliminate leading, it will do little to help with the fouling from BP. With Paper patched bullets and no grease cookies the bore is usually wiped between shots with a damp patch of some elixair to control fouling. Or a grease cookie is added to help keep fouling soft. Here even a lot use a blow tube to get additional moisture into the bore.

A lot of bullets barely carry enough lube for the long barrels of the single shots with out the reduction of the powder coating for BP loads. But with the Marlins shorter barrel lubing the groves with spg after coating may be just the trick. Reducing the lube grooves .002-.003 all around ( sides and bottom) with the PC may be to much reduction for the long barrels but the Marlins 20-24" should be okay yet

Boolit Master

Well I will him he needs to help cast in a few days
    And before the bullets get size & lube
    I think it would be a good idea to slug his barrel

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed, Trapdoors tend to run big. Do you know if his was lined?

His issue will be fouling control - if he shoots enough BPCR he is very aware of the issue and may have already practiced several of the above techniques to manage it. If not he will have a learning curve to climb.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I've got some PC'd 300-grainers I shoot over smokeless in my .38-55. Will load a half-dozen or so over FFFg and see how they work next time I'm at the range.
    Shot a half-dozen 'bare' at 100 yds...PC'd with no additional lube...running a damp patch through barrel between shots. Group was maybe a 1/2" larger than I get with smokeless. Fired next six without swabbing between shots; after first two, group opened up to 6"-7" with noticeable increase of perceived recoil on last two shots...took 3 or 4 patches dampened with Windex to get rid of the hardened fouling after the last round. Final group was shot with PC'd boolits pan-lubed before loading and swabbed after every other shot...>2" group with no fouling issues; pretty much the same as I get shooting (uncoated) pan-lubed 30/1.

To me, it looks like PC/BP is more trouble than it's worth. If I've got to lube (or use a grease cookie) to obtain the same results from a PC'd boolit as I get from my pan-lubed 'as-cast', why bother?

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"