Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Cigarette Paper

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Cigarette Paper

I’m getting ready to load BP for the first time in 45-70. I tried paper patching a few times with smokeless using tracing paper. It seemed to work fine. I measured and cut without a template. It took a bit of time and I think if I made a template and patched a lot at a time it would be more efficient and faster. Applying the paper wasn’t that easy, because my fingers are not as nimble as they one were.

I saw a video of someone reloading 45-70 and patching with cigarette papers. He must have been dry patching, because he seated the boolits right after rolling the paper around them. It seemed fast and easy.

I’m not looking for the ultimate accuracy now. Starting with BP, I just want to keep things as simple as possible. Could using cigarette papers be a good way to start?

Thanks

They would be an expensive pain in the butt to use, but you may be able to get it to work. I'd just use real patching paper.

From this weekend. 9# onionskin paper, super easy to do. Shoots like a champ too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    From this weekend. 9# onionskin paper, super easy to do. Shoots like a champ too.

Nice pic! What cartridge?

40-65.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How many grains are those beautiful boolits?

Where do I buy that paper?

They are about 400 grains. That is some old onionskin paper, I found it at a thrift store. But you can often find it on eBay, and Buffalo Arms sells it also. If you have a specialty paper store near you they might be able to get some.

Boolit Grand Master

I modified a rolling cutter cutting board for cutting patches. added a rail stop and made a plexiglass angle plate. I cut 5 sheets at a time. First cut the strips to width by running paper up to stop. I may cut a few groups of 5 sheets in one setting. I then use double faced tape to place the angle guide on the cutting boards surface. this is alighned from the rail edge. Set the stops length for the length of the patches and cut to parallelagram and length. It can be done easily sitting in a easy chair while watching tv, and a bunch of patches can be cut fast. I have been using the Seth Cole 55w drafting paper in the roll. I just cut 5 pieces and paper glue two edges together like binding on a book. The blade type cutters work but may slide or pull paper when cutting it. the rolling cutter does much better for me. A lot finger roll the patches on free hand, I use a patch board to roll bullets. It alighns patch and bullet for me.

Cigarette papers may not be quite wide enough or long enough for good patches on a 45 cal bullet. Also handling each individual paper is going to be a pain cutting it. Ideally you want 2 wraps with the angled ends .030 - .045 short from meeting each other. This allows for the small radius where the second layer of paper is ran over the first edge. On 45 cal Im using around a 40* end angle, This seems to but the ends meeting well and at a 180* around bullet.

Onion skin, Seth Cole 8 or 9lb depending on bullet dia, some tracing papers will all do very well. And the bigger sheets are easier to handle and work with. When testing try to recover patches they tell a lot how the paper load is working. The outer layer will be fine confetti the inner and base will show engraving press marks and the base impression from wads pushing on it. Ideally the patch unwraps comes off at the muzzle or very close to it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Nice pic! What cartridge?
    the bottom of thoses bullets look they have a step up on them

Banned

cigarette rolling paper will be expensive and might be too small of size. lots of good patching paper abounds. i use fidelity 9# or 10# onion paper from papermill.

Boolit Master
    They are from a two diameter mold that I designed expressly for the Browning BPCR and Accurate made it. Catalog #41-400GP. Nobade has been "trying" it out. Seems to have very good potential.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    They are from a two diameter mold that I designed expressly for the Browning BPCR and Accurate made it. Catalog #41-400GP. Nobade has been "trying" it out. Seems to have very good potential.
    Yep, I might even give it back some day. Gotta remember to order one of my own! I just hope he hits the numbers on that one as well as he did on this one. It's perfect.

Looking at those two diameter bullets the way they are loaded you must have an awful long freebore or an undersized bore riding nose to get them seated and close the breach.
    What is your patched base and bore riding section diameter of those bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Looking at those two diameter bullets the way they are loaded you must have an awful long freebore or an undersized bore riding nose to get them seated and close the breach.
    What is your patched base and bore riding section diameter of those bullets?
    Nose is .399 and base is .410 and yes, the Browning 40-65 chamber has a very long freebore. Designed to get the bullet out to make some decent powder capacity. I think Texasmac has a drawing of it on his web site.