WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Giraud tri way cuter 308

Boolit Mold

Giraud tri way cuter 308

New here. Question for you expert reloaders......

Started using the tri way cuter by Giraud. Having issues with it.

When it comes to cutting, this thing is fast and efficient. However, my problem is with the chamfer/deburring.

The cutter was initially set up by Giraud himself, with a sample brass provided. It was just the right amount of chamfer. However, as I started to use it more, i am having an issue with uneven chamfering on the brass. Some would be chamfered too deep.

Some said it’s my FL die. Which I went it and bought a Redding competition die. Problem still there. I then resetted the cutter, and still the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the case a twist while its still pushed down in the giruad shell holder at the end after it has finished the chamf and deburr and it will clean it right up.

Push down trim brass

then twist
    Last edited by Gunners Mate; 10-15-2018 at 02:22 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Give the case a twist while its still pushed down in the giruad shell holder at the end after it has finished the chamf and deburr and it will clean it right up.

Push down trim brass

then twist
    Hey thanks for the response. But, it is quite extreme in terms of unevenness

Boolit Master

The full twist will even out the chamfer but you will likely have a sharp or knife edge case mouth.

The twisting of the case does even the chamfer though.

Boolit Buddy
    All of the brass will need to be sized the same. If the shoulder of the brass is not in the same spot on each case you’ll likely see inconsistent trim lengths and that can give inconsistent chamfers too.

Boolit Mold

Giraud tri way cuter 308

Hmm ok. I’ll have to give this thing another shot.

Now, how much does uneven chamfer really affect accuracy up to 500 yards? I use Winchester brass, 175gr TMK, 44gr of 4064, Fed match primer, and seated to 2.924. Shooting it out of my Steur SSG04A1, I get just about .260 MOA at 100 yards. I’m obsessed with punching small holes.

Last edited by Pistold; 10-15-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Notice the Allen screws on the fly cutter (shaft/head) holding the cutting tool...
    Sometimes these need adjustments.

If the champfer is larger on the outside, the cutter needs to be moved outward slightly.
    If the champfer is larger inside, the cutter needs moved inward a little.

This is a 'Trim-It II', but all fly cutters work about the same.

If the trim is oval, the case necks are oval or the roller bearing is over compressed.

If the trim is greater on just one side of the neck, the case isn't in line with shaft of cutter.
    The centerline of case must be in direct line with the shaft of the fly cutter, or you will get side loading.
    (I cut down a case body gauge and use it as a guide instead of just the loose neck guide that comes with fly cutter timmers, all but about 1/2" of the case is guided).

---------

Keep in mind, as die necks wear (and are clean) the neck will get larger.
    As brass builds up in a die (dirty) the case neck will get smaller.
    The fly cutter orbit around centerline will have to be adjusted.

------

As for what the case neck does,
    It (more or less) holds the bullet in the centerline of the bore, not a whole lot else.

Neck tension (adjusted by inside neck size) has a little to do with consistency, but within reason it's not a huge deal either.
    Annealing will do more for you than neck length or trimming, sizing is the ball/rod size that expands the neck after it's reduced by the die body.

How did the trim and twist work out