RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .44 Mag Muzzle Leading...With Powder Coated Bullets

Boolit Buddy

.44 Mag Muzzle Leading...With Powder Coated Bullets

I recently bought myself a brand new S&W Model 29 "Classic" revolver, the gun shoots very well...when I don't flinch like a ninny, but with maximum loads it leads at the last inch of the barrel. I'm using the Lee 240gr SWC TL mold, and a max charge of 2400, and a commercial Canadian clear powder coat. In my Model 27 "Classic", with conventional groove, cast 158 bullets, I get no leading at all, even with max loads. I understand that the powder coating acts as a lube, and a heat shield, and that leading at the muzzle is a sign of not having enough lube on the bullets. How can I correct this? The bullets as cast are .429-430, after two coats of powder they are all .431-.432. Having asked, I don't intend to continue firing maximum charges in this thing, I've read that best accuracy is around the 18-19gr mark, and for general shooting I think I'll load closer to .44 Special velocities.

Boolit Master
    A max load using a PCed bullet is likely the culprit. PCing is not as hard as copper jacketing,, and it's possible you are burning or stripping off the coating by the time it gets near the muzzle. And when a cast bullet is coated with PC,, it get annealed by the baking. Back off a bit & it'll likely go away.

What do your cylinder throats measure? The bullets should be a snug slip fit into them with just finger pressure.
    Try a thin coat of BLL on top of you PC. Or ever a bit of LLA
    You may be surprised.....
    Last edited by waco; 10-15-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Some shooters have reported very tight throats on some of the newer S&Ws. Your .432" boolits may only be .428-429" after they squeeze through the throats.

Boolit Buddy
    The throats measure .429-.4295, the lead is still too hard after baking to be dented with my thumbnail. No leading at all with 8grs of Universal.

Boolit Master
    Is it leading or is it a light gray wash? What do you call leading? How does it affect accuracy? These are the real questions.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief. That is all.

When my bullets measure .429, both of my 44's leave a lot of lead in the barrel. 'The throats measure .429-.4295' There's your problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Leading-just a light grey coating/smearing on the inside of the bore, mostly on the lands, a little in the groves. Some guys on another forum suggested that my powder wasn't properly cured, I'll test that out with the next batch. I don't think fit is the issue, no leading at the cone, just at the muzzle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntingsgr8 View Post
    Leading-just a light grey coating/smearing on the inside of the bore, mostly on the lands, a little in the groves. Some guys on another forum suggested that my powder wasn't properly cured, I'll test that out with the next batch. I don't think fit is the issue, no leading at the cone, just at the muzzle.
    Does it level off and not get any worse? Does it actually affect accuracy in actual shooting and not just guessing?
    In my opinion too many people panic over something that isnt really a problem. What would you be getting with plain lubed and cast bullets? Even with jacketed you will get at least a tad of copper wash.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.