Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Touch hole liner

Boolit Master

Touch hole liner

I was reading the thread about Touch Hole Woes and have a question. The breach plug was notched where the flash hole entered the breach. I have built several cap locks and always set my own plugs and got a good fit. The only flint I have built I set the liner just ahead of the plug to save the fit of the plug. Does cutting the plug give any problems with fouling getting into the threads ?

While I am at it another question. About 25 years ago I was given a 1 inch .50 cal. Dixie barrel that was 42 in. long. Someone had made a trashy looking wall hanger and made a mess at both ends. They bored through at the muzzle and threaded the hole for a screw. A hole was bored about six in. from the breach about 1/8 in. deep. At 7 in. there were 2 slots cut for dovetails that were 1/16 deep, one on top and one on bottom. Obviously the thing wasn't fired and I have 33 in. of new barrel. Where can I have this barrel cut off and rethreaded for a new plug or would it cost more than it is worth ?

I am going to the Southeastern Primitive Rendezvous in Yadkinville N.C. next Sunday. I have been interested in muzzle loaders and all the history for over 40 years but have never been to one, should be interesting.

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Why not cut it yourself and thread it to whatever pitch plug you have?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I was reading the thread about Touch Hole Woes and have a question. The breach plug was notched where the flash hole entered the breach. I have built several cap locks and always set my own plugs and got a good fit. The only flint I have built I set the liner just ahead of the plug to save the fit of the plug. Does cutting the plug give any problems with fouling getting into the threads ?

as long as a good anti-seize grease is used on anything screwed into the barrel, all is just fine. i use 'nikal hi-temp grease' and have taken off breech plugs and liners installed with that goop after years of use, no problem and none of the threads were compromised by bp residue.

While I am at it another question. About 25 years ago I was given a 1 inch .50 cal. Dixie barrel that was 42 in. long. Someone had made a trashy looking wall hanger and made a mess at both ends. They bored through at the muzzle and threaded the hole for a screw. A hole was bored about six in. from the breach about 1/8 in. deep. At 7 in. there were 2 slots cut for dovetails that were 1/16 deep, one on top and one on bottom. Obviously the thing wasn't fired and I have 33 in. of new barrel. Where can I have this barrel cut off and rethreaded for a new plug or would it cost more than it is worth ?

bobby hoyt in PA is my barrel smith, he's worked on a LOT of my muzzleloaders and bpcr rifles, give him a jingle - 716.642.6696 - he's the man!

I am going to the Southeastern Primitive Rendezvous in Yadkinville N.C. next Sunday. I have been interested in muzzle loaders and all the history for over 40 years but have never been to one, should be interesting.

Dave