Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Things I Do

Boolit Mold

Stupid Things I Do

Just loaded up a box of 45 Colt with 8.0 gr. Unique and 255 gr. Dardas with which I have been having good success. Stupid thing is when I dumped my powder measure I put it in a full bottle of Power Pistol. Probably 3 oz. in measure to a full pound of PP. The burn rate chart lists Unique and Power Pistol at about same burn rate, what should I do, sacrifice a new bottle of PP or use it at lower charge loads. Any thoughts on my mistake would be appreciated.

Bearpaw

If it were me I'd trash it. I know that's a wasted cost but better to lose $30 than your pistol or worse. I may be to cautious but it's what I'd do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Please throw the mixed powder in the trash! The lesson is to never have more than one bottle of powder (the one you are using) anywhere near your loading bench.

Boolit Master

I'd shoot it with light loads. I'd pour out the first 4 ounces to see if I could get to pure Power pistol too though.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Work it up using the load data of the faster of the two powders. Come on kids, let's use a little logic here,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Chalk it up to a brain fart and pour the powder into the flower bed...walk away shaking your head and try to kick yourself in the but a few times.

Either that or....well I ain't going to go there.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Super Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't use it. Iv'e done it before too, so don't feel bad! I always err on the side of caution, I disposed of it when it happened to me. The lesson for me was to just try and make sure the measure is empty before adding a new powder.

Boolit Master

I would not just pour it out but cut the top off and scoop the top or just trash it and be done with it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Surely, you have a stump that needs removing....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The two powders are obviously different. I'd probably scoop out the PP until I got down to the Unique, then inspect it very closely for flakes. I'd chuck the Unique.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Work it up using the load data of the faster of the two powders. Come on kids, let's use a little logic here,,,,,,
    +1, agree 100+% with Hamish........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The issue here is the two powders have very different densities. If you use it, you will need to weigh each charge in a scale to have any idea what you are throwing.
    I like the idea of skimming off the top.
    The next best solution would be to mix them thoroughly and work up a load with the blended powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    +1, agree 100+% with Hamish........
    "Either that or....well I ain't going to go there." . . .

I thought to myself, depending on accuracy of what the OP said about the volume of contaminated powder...that this would be a good resolve if I blended the two together as best I could. Nothing to fear here in this instance...BUT...we would be setting a president here where Newbs might think that this resolve would work across the board.
    They may have contaminated a fast pistol powder with a slow magnum pistol or rifle powder...if they ignorantly use this logic, how would that work out for them?

I think this is why we have had long standing rules, general rules that would protect the Newbs from what an experienced loader might attempt to do.
    You have to keep in mind all the readers here that blindly follow along...'Monkey see, Monkey do'...they hardly ever post or comment but think that CB's information is the gospel. And it ain't!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

"The solution to pollution is dilution."

Mix it with a few more pounds of pistol powder!
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I would not just pour it out but cut the top off and scoop the top or just trash it and be done with it
    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    "The solution to pollution is dilution."

Mix it with a few more pounds of pistol powder!
    Salvage as much as you can of Unique, then mix the rest of the Power Pistol back in with more Power Pistol and call it good!

THat's ~20%of almost the same powder. I'd use it vs tossing but maybe scoup what you can of the unique into a separate container - mark as such, try to dilute both. The measuring is the big problem. In a large rifle case, no real difference.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Learning experience...I've done it. I tossed the powder into the yard.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

While burn rates may be the same or very close that's only part of the equation here. Smokless powders are chemical in nature make up , coatings and retardants. How these different chemicals will interact with each other in the new blended powder mix is the question I have.

I would destroy it and count it up to experience or learning

Boolit Master

I’m with Larry start very cautiously and work your way up, if you get **** results just toss it out into the flower bed. If you mix alcohol with gasoline it’s not going to create a bomb just like to pistol powder of similar nature won’t. You will just have a different burn rate, pressure, etc.

I would use a vacuum, not anything electric, not disturbing any powder that is below and take out more than you poured in. That is only if the container has not been moved around at all..... then throw it out, maybe pour it down a ground dwelling yellow jacket(hornet) nest. If you try pouring it out it seems that some of the last powder put in will be in the last powder you pour out. Now back to the thread about tree stump removal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast