RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Things I Do

Boolit Mold
    After thinking about my mistake and not wanting to set a president of unsafe handloading practice the prudent thing to do is dump the Power Pistol powder in the garden and be more careful in the future. The Alliant website states to never mix powders, I'll stand by there advise and thanks everyone for replies .
    Bearpaw

Boolit Mold
    Good advice regarding having only one powder at a time on the bench. Maybe keep powder in a different room than the bench.

Also as others stated here, besides burn rate there's a number of other difference between PP and Unique. Regarding density, there's a 23% difference in densities for PP vs Unique. I looked at the charge weight capacity chart for the Lee Autodisk. The same volumes of the two powders would give you 23% more weights of PP compared to Unique. Looking at the 2017 Alliance Reloading's Guide, the powder with the maximum charge weight depends on caliber and bullet weight. The maximum charge weight is usually higher for PP, as is velocity.

Seems like a lot of factors to account for, and a lot of time to mix and load. Has anyone actually mixed powders and used it? Toss the mix in the garden.

Tossing it is the right thing to do. You just got a @40$ handloading lesson.

Couple of things to consider and reconsider....

First,bet you never do it again. Second,reconsider how it happens. Take this safety lesson and build on it. What,in a best practices sort of way,can you implement that makes this NOT happen again. You need to figure this out for yourself...... obviously, only one powder on the bench at a time.But it should also help develop a safe/r powder storage protocol. Good luck with your project.

Even mixed 50/50 it won't blow a stumpit's a propellant not an explosive. It might start it afire; though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Didn't mix powders
    But I was given a bunch of powder that were not in powder jugs , but paper bags

No name or numbers on the bags

I just spread some of it out on the gravel drive and burned weeds and the rest I mixed into the garden

Didn't want a BOOM from guessing

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    +1, agree 100+% with Hamish........
    I second the motion. I have some "Slow Red Dot" I accidentally made by pouring some Herco into a Red Dot container. Shoots just fine...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    imagine you used it and got fantastic accuracy .now how would you reproduce that load ? that would drive you nuts .bin it

Boolit Buddy
    Go ahead and put 10gn of TG under a 147gn pill in your 9mm and let us know if there's an explosion, or if it just burns really fast. I lack your confidence, so I'll just wait over here....waaaaaay over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Even mixed 50/50 it won't blow a stumpit's a propellant not an explosive. It might start it afire; though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe you just found a way to make Power Pistol actually shoot good. That is the only powder that consistently disappoints across the board.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a friend who used to buy reject condoms because he didn't like to "waste money" -I'm guessing that your mixed powder has about the same percentage of something going wrong as he did with the products he purchased. By the way . . . . did I mention that he and his wife are about ready to have their ninth child?

There are solid "do" and "don'ts" in reloading - mixing powders is not a "do". All I can think of is a newbie reading this thread someday and having the same problem, but with different powders, decide to go ahead and use it . . . with results less than wanted.

Dump it on your flowers and take it as a life lesson. This is the very reason why I never have more than one powder container on the bench when loading - the other types are in the cabinet.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Surely, you have a stump that needs removing....

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Go ahead and put 10gn of TG under a 147gn pill in your 9mm and let us know if there's an explosion, or if it just burns really fast. I lack your confidence, so I'll just wait over here....waaaaaay over here.

I think you're confusing black powder and smokeless powder. Black powder would work for stump removal, smokeless powder you can burn in an ashtray on the kitchen table.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2400 View Post
    I think you're confusing black powder and smokeless powder. Black powder would work for stump removal, smokeless powder you can burn in an ashtray on the kitchen table.
    Yep. The only way it would explode is to have it in a sealed container where the gas can't escape and be able to ignite it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

For the peace of mind...dump it in the garden...the plants will love the extra nitrogen. I'm a better safe than sorry guy. I still have all 10 fingers and 10 toes.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

When poured on a stump, the nitrogen in the powder stimulates the growth of bacteria that eat up the cellulose. The stump remover at Lowes is nitrate-based. A little oxidizing may be at work too.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Mold
    Not to interfere with the intent &/or subject of this thread but hopefully everybody on this forum is aware that Dardas closed his doors about 1 month ago. I had used his bullets for several years and I will miss his H&G#130 "button bullet".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400 View Post
    Not confused at all. If you try to contain rapidly expanding gases, the container explodes. I didn't say a pile on the ground would explode.

https://youtu.be/3rghBLLBW5g

Things not classified as explosives can blow.
    Last edited by sureYnot; 10-27-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, Matt Dardas has retired. His shop was about 20 miles from me and I used a lot of his bullets, sorry to see him close his doors. Good product at a fair price.
    Bearpaw

P.S. No longer have my mixed powder, it burned pretty yellow in the driveway.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I would not just pour it out but cut the top off and scoop the top or just trash it and be done with it
    The same thing happened to me once and the powders weren’t that similar. I cut the container below the powder and removed the foreign powder and an inch below where I figured it ended. What was removed was thrown away, but I managed to save over a half pound of powder, with no issues using it.

After that I moved all my powder to the far side of the room. Now I have to get up to get some. I only keep one type nearby when reloading. Never had the same problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post

After that I moved all my powder to the far side of the room. Now I have to get up to get some. I only keep one type nearby when reloading. Never had the same problem since.
    I do something similar. I have powder in a couple of spots around the reloading room. I only have one container of powder open at a time and it is located in the same spot on the bench every time. When I switch powders, I put the one I am not going to use away and get out the new one.
    I once forgot which powder I had in the measure since I had two bottles on the bench at once and it had been a few days since I had loaded. I threw the powder in the measure away rather than cause problems for my self. Never happened again since I then instituted the one bottle at a time protocol. It has been 42 years since that happened.

Boolit Buddy
    Dumping the powder is the best advice...but powder companies mix powders all the time, and someone works up those loads. It COULD be done. Not saying it should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12