Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 92 with .424 bore??

Winchester 92 with .424 bore??

Looking at a winchester 92 in 44-40.
    Bore has been slugged and shows .424. It is a second year production rifle.

I believe the reason its still sitting on the shelf is due to the .424 bore size?
    So was wondering what boolits one would use in this rifle, seems surfing the web not much is said about the early 44-40's with the smaller bore reloading wise?

Maybe some soft .427 boolits??

Just looking for some input on this??

You could look and maybe find a .424 sizing die. Granted you'd be limited to cast only bullets but you could shoot it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    Bore has been slugged and shows .424. It is a second year production rifle.

I believe the reason its still sitting on the shelf is due to the .424 bore size?
    So was wondering what boolits one would use in this rifle, seems surfing the web not much is said about the early 44-40's with the smaller bore reloading wise?

Maybe some soft .427 boolits??

Just looking for some input on this??
    I think you got it. Fit the throat, not the barrel.
    I have a first year 1892 with a tight barrel. BUT, bullets from my Ideal tong loading tool cast 0.427-0.429" (not round) and load and chamber fine. A four cavity 42798 cast on the soft side and unsized average 0.429" - they chamber and work just fine too.
    Chill Wills

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The jacketed bullets in factory .44-40 ammo are not .427, but generally .425 so they will shoot fine.

If you buy cast lead bullets, then the .427 diameter is correct for the tight bore.

With soft bullets and mild loads as you would use in an 1873 Winchester or Colt SA, up to .430 will do no harm if they chamber without effort. If loading smokeless powder you want a bullet having a crimp groove, to prevent bullets from telescoping back into the case under compression of the magazine spring.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Bore has been slugged and shows .424.

I believe the reason its still sitting on the shelf is due to the .424 bore size ?

I don't think that's the reason it's been sitting, as (maybe) 1 in 100 buyers don't measure the bore size before purchase.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

You say bore size is .424", what is the groove size? That is just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    You say bore size is .424", what is the groove size? That is just as important.
    Exactly. Groove size what matters. Drive a slug through the barrel and measure the largest diameter of the slug.

Et

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Maybe it’s sitting because it’s not priced to sell ?

Boolit Master

Early 1892's had small bore's. IDEAL/LYMAN used to make a #42498 mold.
    My DAD had one. It was a bit of a pain casting/sizing/loading bullets from a single cavity mold. Just for that one carbine. Had to pan lube and size in a LYMAN 310 Die.
    My DAD thought it would be a great way for his Boy's to learn and appreciate "modern" reloading tools.
    He sold the Carbine & it's mold & tong tool set when I was in H.S.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Exactly. Groove size what matters. Drive a slug through the barrel and measure the largest diameter of the slug.

Et

35W
    I just took it he meant groove as sometimes bore is what is said. If the BORE is 0.424" there are a lot of choices for bullet molds. Getting the exact bore and groove in a gunshop setting takes a little talking with the sales staff and does not happen often. Mostly in my experience you get a dusty, dirty hole to look through and some shop staff won't want to go through the bother of cleaning and driving a soft slug through.
    Chill Wills

I would start out with softish .427" boolits booted to BPlevel with Unique. If you buy it, that is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would start out with softish .427" boolits booted to BPlevel with Unique. If you buy it, that is.
    I wanted too, but found a marlin 1894 in 44 mag, half the price as the 92 and probably a better deal all around.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I wanted too, but found a marlin 1894 in 44 mag, half the price as the 92 and probably a better deal all around.
    Unless you are "into" the .44-40 for the pure nostalgia and history, for the volume shooter and hunter the .44 Magnum is a better choice. I have an 1894S Microgroove in .44 Magnum also and it is my Go-To woods rifle.

Attachment 229170

Some .44 Mag. cast bullet load data:

Side-by-Side comparisons fired same day with .44 Magnum “Medium Velocity” loads
    fired in two Vaqueros using the same .44 Magnum cylinder, 20" Marlin 1894S for comparison:

Ammunition all assembled in Remington New Factory Primed brass with Remington 2-1/2 primers.

Load Description_________Ruger 5-1/2"______Ruger 7-1/2"____Marlin 20”__Remarks

----------------------------------Cyl.Gap 0.008"-------Cyl.Gap 0.008"------Solid barrel

43-230G 1:30Sn/Pb 7.2BE_____978, 18Sd________1044, 21Sd_______1178, 7Sd___1.59” OAL

43-230G 1:30Sn/Pb 24.5RL7___1022, 18Sd_______1151, 21Sd_______1432, 26Sd__1.59”OAL

Saeco#441-WW 16#2400_____1137, 40Sd_______1243, 20Sd____1363, 24Sd__1.66” OAL 265-gr. Keith

Attachment 229171
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Outpost75;4482815]Unless you are "into" the .44-40 for the pure nostalgia and history, for the volume shooter and hunter the .44 Magnum is a better choice.

Given the same frame to contain it and the same twist to spin it the 44/40 will do anything the 44mag will do - 44/40 has a smidge more case capacity - it cycles better in some guns - its a superior blackpowder round, (seals better and holds a couple grains more powder) 44 mag cases are a little cheaper -- the choice is purely one of individual taste - of course if the 44/40 was called magnum that would make it way much better - bigger - more ..............................