Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Swag-o-matic

Swag-o-matic

A number of years ago I acquired a box of random stuff, which included a CH Swag-o-matic press and a few odds and ends, much of which I still haven't identified. It appeared that the previous owner (or the one before that) was casting as well as swaging jacketed 38spl bullets, and perhaps making gas checks, there was an old cloth bag labeled "bullet cores" and other **** like that.
    Does anyone here use or has used a swag-o-matic? I am trying to identify exactly what and how it does what it does and what I can do with it and what additional things I would need to do it. I haven't anything sufficiently worthwhile online yet.

I have found a couple ebay items that appear to be the same as what I have, neither are mine, I am using them for example.
    This one has the same press and the top die (not sure what I would call it) as mine.

This is the die and the little punch box which I also have.

[edit:I am just now noticing links are not allowed, and that I should have posted this in the swaging forum. I will clean it up and try to get pics in later.]
    Last edited by NathanHoln; 10-14-2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: acknowledging wrong forum

Banned
    NathanHoln, first I had to remove the eBay links, they are forbidden on the board. I know you were using them for illustration purposes but they are a no-no.

Now. down to business, from your description you have a Swage-O-Matic with the base forming die installed and some nose punches. Sounds like a complete set for one caliber. The Swage-O-Matic is designed to swage half jacket boolits that were popular in the late 1950's early 60's. Finding the half cups today can be challenging.
    I have instructions for the tool. If you will PM me your email I will send them to you. Then, after reading through them post more questions and pictures if you can so we can help.
    Ken

Pressman, my email is redacted I would appreciate that.

Are these the same cups? (I tried to find where on the site the rules about links to refresh...no luck. This one is a link to an image, not a page.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wm_6025387.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	228841
    Last edited by NathanHoln; 10-16-2018 at 01:02 AM. Reason: redacting email. still new here.

Banned
    Yes, that is the cups. I'll get the instructions going to you shortly

Thanks for the instructions, Pressman.
    It appears that I have all of the parts, and also a few dozen half jackets and perhaps a hundred of the half jacketed bullets swaged in the thingy. I had thought they were store bought, but I now realize the image of the bullets on the box is not what they are.

I think all I need is the lead wire and I can get this thing operational. If it goes as planned and I get familiar with it to the point that I know what I am talking about I'll do a video of it.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master

NH..I may have a core mold in that size, 44 pistol, yes? Those dies set float by on the auction sites every few months, but most folk don't know them for what they are. I think C&H still offers cups as does 1 or 2 others outfits, like a Corbin affiliate. I have a buch of v30 stuff if you get into it heavy lol good luck

Negative Ascast, .358.
    I will look into finding those. I don't shoot 38/357 anymore for the time being (long story involving loaning my exwife my 357 because of attempted break-ins and then she sold it...) but I load up my old brass and what I find because I am going to get one again someday, but if they are available I wouldn't mind dies for do some 30cal or 22.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master

You can use any size smaller cast bullet to make cores. Just be sure the lead is soft. Busted a Swage-O-Matic like that once. The excess lead will be bled off in thin wires. Save these for fishing sinkers. We were using a Lyman 311291 with the nose cut off to make 158 grain SWC HPs./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have dies (Pacific) and C-H press i use often in .358 & .452 they do work well without the half jacket also . I use mostly cast bullets as cores the bullets may be as small as 30 caliber or a full .454 if not using the half or 3/4 jackets . I have made great shooting 45 acp loads running lubed gas checked and sized 162 grain 38 caliber bullets just swaged to .452 the cup expands but stays in place the lube keeps the grooves intact and there is enough lube.
    Mostly i use coated and baked bullets in the dies in the last couple weeks i have been using a Torx 40 bit in a .452 core to make a hollow point then forming the nose in a .300 Savage die they are a bit to fragile in water . I am still working on the process to see if accuracy is worth continuing . ( this is due to an issue of part i made and bit does not always center so bullet weight is off center 25 yard groups are between 7 and 4 inches with no load development)

I do not seem to have taken pictures of setup to post without going to work shop i thought some were on file?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.