Graf & SonsRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anybody Have a Colt Official Police?

Boolit Buddy

Anybody Have a Colt Official Police?

Just like the title says, anybody got one of these? My grandfather had one and I offered my grandmother $400 for it. She took a couple of weeks to think about it and said I could buy it if I still wanted it. I don't take things from family members and I want them strictly to preserve family history. I enjoy thinking about them while enjoying something they used to have.

Anyhow, never had a revolver other than my NAA Mini, this one is in 38 Special with I think either a 4.5in or 5in barrel. I have the Elco mold and loaded some with 3.5 grains of Red Dot to try out. I also have the Lee 358 105 SWC and an Accurate 358 120B mold which is a 125 grain TC boolit. What have you found that works well? I understand all guns are a lesson unto themselves, just looking for anyone with a little experience with this pistol and what they've found.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Super Moderator

Kyle first off you have I fine 38spc. Second you have a remembrance of your grand father.
    Those Colts were works of art in the gunworld that led to the action of the Python. Enjoy it and stay away from any plus p or over pressure load and your son will have it as a remembrance of you.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    If it is a 4 1/2" then you have a scarce and wonderful rarity. Colt Op's are among the worlds finest service grade revolvers; I have several. If yours is a somewhat rare 5", then even better. The sights are regulated to use 158 grain bullets at standard pressure loads. Fine, fine revolvers. Treasure yours but enjoy shooting it as well. If it ever needs work, google Glenn Custom in Phoenix Az. He is a master at Colt repair and rework; email him for best response. Congratulations!!!

Boolit Master

One of my favorite revolvers! I have two of them, both in great shape, both 4 inch models. I can give you a listing of some loads that work for me, but the truth is they'll work with any standard, reasonable load in any manual; anything from cast full wadcutters, semi-wadcutters, all the way up to JHP +P. Start with a 148 gr. wadcutter over 2.5 gr. of Bullseye for practice, and slowly work up to a defensive load if that's your desire. They are a .38 built on a .41 frame, and a bit more sturdy than the S&W Mod. 10. I see one currently for sale on an on line auction that is in like new condition and has a reserve price that seems to be well above $500.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks gents! Sounds like its gonna be a good candidate for a foray into revolvers! Thanks Guesser, the sight regulation with 158 grain boolits is great to know. The Elco mold I have drops a HP around 152 grains so should be close enough. Gebirgsjager, nice to know its a good solid frame. I don't really plan on putting high pressure loads through it, but rather just as you said, standard loads for some paper punching and plinking.

Yes, I have a couple and have had others in the past. They are classic American revolvers carried by many police officers over the years. They are accurate and reliable. Yous most likely has a 5 inch barrel. Here is mine with a 5 inch barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt OP Range pic.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	228837  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Chamber mouths will likely be about .358, with a .355 groove dia. barrel. Don't worry about the difference; just size .358 or don't size at all if your bullets are .358 as-cast.

I have one that has the police officer name etched into it.
    I'll post a pic.

Boolit Master
    I have a 6" one it belonged to the littlestown pa. pd. they traded it in on a shotgun. I used it for falling plate. did quite well with it. I used 358429 and 3.6 gr. red dot.

Boolit Master

I have one in 4 inch. Really accurate. I found that mine shot at the point of aim with a 156 gr SWC or a 148 WC but if I go to a 172 SWC it wants to shoot to the left by several inches. Don't have the answer to that but that is how it is. Fine gun. Have fun!