Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: while fire forming brass....

Boolit Master

while fire forming brass....

I was making mousefart loads for my 30/30 A.I. to fire form brass. I like to shoot targets when fire forming so I loaded up some with my ancient 160 gr Lee boolits and 6.6 grains of Bullseye. They were finger lubed with some old RCBS rifle lube I found in my stuff, sized to .309 and gas checks installed. Then I dipped the boolits in JPW and let them dry. I got some of the best groups ever. I fired about twenty rounds and could have covered the group with a silver dollar.

I just set the target up on the pistol range at 50 yards. I suspect that if I had adjusted the scope a tad to the left all of the shots from the 30/30 a.i. would have been in the X ring.

My 30-06 A.I. had some 170 gr ranch dog fn treated the same way. They didn't shoot worth a poot, stringing and shooting very low. I had a load of 11.1 gr of Herco. They did fire form the brass as intended, but I wasn't pleased with the results on the target.

All in all it was enjoyable. Any time I can go shooting is a good time. I enjoyed my rifles so much today that I never unholstered my pistol......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Those 50 yard plinkers are good stuff. I fire form .260 Rem and Grendel. I use Red Dot for all the plinkers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using WC867 to fireform my 25 Krag AI - mostly because it works and I've got 8lbs!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I form a false shoulder on my brass and size it to headspace in my chamber. I load a reasonable pressured load to fireform. Last year i had my 280 Rem out deer hunting. Got a nice deer and a buddy stopped by after hearing the shot. He noticed the fired brass in my shell holder looked different than unfired brass. He got the 5 minute story on fireforming to make brass from a parent case.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Some Of My Tightest Rifle targets were when I was blowing out cases....That is what lead me to "Low Node" Shooting at 50 yards! Now that is all I do and almost all my loads are subsonic Including .243 and .223! It is a heck of a lot of fun for and old guy ( Don't use much powder and don't have to walk as far to put up targets!)
    jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington