WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: ham and pinto beans recipe wanted

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

ham and pinto beans recipe wanted

We have a bunch of ham trimmings and LOTS of pinto beans so would like to find a relatively simple recipe that utilizes those items.

We have plenty of the "normal" Ham-N-Beans and plenty of "chili" so we are looking for something different and/or unique. We don't care much for crazy hot but spicy would be good as well as sweet or tomato based or?

I could, of course, google some recipes but I'd like to get ideas from you folks that have actually used those ingredients. The simpler the better.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    We just soak beans overnight then put in crock pot with ham tonys creOle seasoning an water then slow cook

Boolit Master
    I would just substitute the Pinto for the Navy beans. Pretty good stuff when I have made it over the years!

Here is just one recipe.
    https://www.southernliving.com/recip...an-soup-recipe

If ya want to search for more recipes like it, some call it, "Senate bean soup".

G'Luck! Bon Appetit!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

If you want fast you can use an instant pot pressure cooker to speed things up.

Otherwise I go with a hambone and 1 to 2 lbs of Pinto's, soak overnight, rinse well, put in a slow cooker. Season as you see fit. Me I mostly leave mine pretty plain, but at ketchup to my bowl for a little kick.

Can make do with bacon if needed, thick cut rinds and pieces.

Moderator Emeritus

When I make dry Beans (pintos or navy or cowpeas), I use a regular pressure cooker and add the correct amount of water and do the quick soak version in the pressure cooker (2 minutes at Pressure). After I drain the beans after the quick soak, I run the beans through a mini food processor, just to break about half the beans and remove some of the skins. What that does, is "thicken all the liquid ingredients I am about to add to the beans.
    So, for the second stage of Pressure cooking, I will add one or more of the following (what ever flavor I want that day), Water, chicken broth, tomato juice...then some onion or garlic or tomatoes...then some meat, if the meat isn't leftovers, I will braze raw meat. Once all the ingredients are in the pressure cooker, I will cook it for about 15 minutes. after that, if it's not as thick as I like, I will cook it open til it's thick enough.

Another great ingredient to add, is the pan fond from fried meat or beef roast...which I always save for gravy or whatever...beans and meat is MY whatever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    When we make ham and bean soup,I just season with salt and pepper,but always add a spoonful of cider vinegar, gives it a wonderful flavor. Toasted rye bread goes well with bean soup too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Another great ingredient to add, is the pan fond from fried meat or beef roast...which I always save for gravy or whatever...beans and meat is MY whatever.
    This. Gotta have some grease in there. I use a heaping tablespoon of bacon grease, when I have it. Or butter.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

If ya want to search for more recipes like it, some call it, "Senate bean soup".

Would that be due to all the flatulence associated with anything they try to get done?

I like making ham and bean soup, but it is never the same twice despite my efforts to make it so..... I'm always throwing something extra in.

Vinegar, a key to good ham&bean soup. Always use some cider vinegar.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

When we make soup beans we start with a pound of dried beans, usually october or cranberry, washed and put in the crock pot, add enough water to fill the pot about 3/4 full and add whatever cured ham bits and pieces are on hand. and about a tablespoon of bacon grease or cooking oil and a little table salt. Put the lid on the pot and cook on high for 9 to 10 hours. When it's done, serve it up with fresh made corn bread, chow chow, onions or whatever other condiments suit your fancy and top it off with a big ol cold glass of milk, either sweet or Buttermilk. Southern po boy cooking at it's finest, and so simple even I can do it!

Boolit Master

Beans is beans, but what we have found is that the spices you use, including flavoring from fats will make different flavors. I use Summer Savory, Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, salt and a little black pepper, and a whole lot of garlic--pods or powdered, plus onions, bell peppers and celery, also known as the Cajun Trinity. My measurements are 1 Tblsp of Savory and garlic, 1 Tsp Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, and salt. Black pepper to your taste. Not much salt, but more comes from the cured meats I use. The spices are to your taste. More, less, whatever you care for. We have ham a couple of times a year and we get the spiral sliced ham. After a couple of days of left overs, there is still a considerable bit of ham left, so I take as many slices off as I can and then cut the rest up for seasoning in half inch chunks. Vacuum pack this and freeze it. Plus, the ham bone. When cooking beans, cabbage, green beans, etc. I take a pack out and add it to the pot. I like beans and sausage, so I slice up about a pound of smoked sausage and add it to the beans. Pinto beans, navy beans, Great Northern, Black beans, who cares. I have at least one pot--6 quarts--a month, sometimes more. I was raised on them and love them. Perfect meal--beans and rice with some kind of greens--cabbage, mustard green, turnip greens, kale, spinach and a pan of good cornbread.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    One addition - whomp you up some red eye gravy after you fry the ham. Add some coffee to the ham grease in the skillet, stir it up, and you got it!

Boolit Grand Master

Bacon and Molassas - google Boston Bean hole beans.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

We've put beans in the crockpot, with ham, a can of diced potatoes and a diced onion. Simple, but they were right tasty with buttered cornbread.

Banned

Gbrown, I always use Lawry's seasoned salt, bout a tablespoon. Agree with you about the spice profile making a big difference .

I like hot Ro-Tel tomatoes in mine.
    tony

Moderator Emeritus

Made some tonight.
    Great Northern Beans in chicken stock with a couple chicken thighs.
    some onion, red bell peppers and one jalapeno.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I would just substitute the Pinto for the Navy beans. Pretty good stuff when I have made it over the years!

Here is just one recipe.
    https://www.southernliving.com/recip...an-soup-recipe

G'Luck! Bon Appetit!
    I made the 'Senate Bean Soup today, will make it again! 'Anything with ham, beans, onions, and garlic is my favorite! Little corn bread rounds out my perfect meal !
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I made the 'Senate Bean Soup today, will make it again! 'Anything with ham, beans, onions, and garlic is my favorite! Little corn bread rounds out my perfect meal !
    hc18flyer
    Pretty good stuff! Might be one of the only good things that comes from Capital Hill & the Senate, it seems...

LOL

I may be making some this week myself.

Anyway, glad to read ya enjoyed it, as it has always been good at our house as well!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o