WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm +P+, what pistol can shoot it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Any firearm that's "nato" approved will eat a steady diet of them.

Glock 17 & 19, sig 226 & 228, CZ- P01 & 75b, beretta m9 come to mind.
    The current service load for the 9mm pistols is a stalwart one--124 grain bullets running in the 1235-1250 FPS bracket. This has been pretty standard for European 9mm pistols since just about forever. It has been American ammo companies that have down-loaded the 9 x 19 Parabellum out of concern that Euro-spec ammo might find its way into wheezy and less vigorous nominal 9mm pistols with OEM cartridges other than & lesser than 9 x 19.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Used to shoot that stuff all the time in my Beretta 92 and CZ 75/85s. Limited number in my Simth 6906. Still carry a mag or two of it in my G19.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

I have some of that stuff and was thinking of trying it in the CZ75 BD but have been a little squeamish about it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Not knocking hi point on their quality BUT and a big but it's just ugly as sin
    In my book Ugly is as Ugly does. A good looking gun that consistently has a problem loading the second or third round would be terminally ugly to me.

I will admit that Hipoints won't win any constest based on good looks.

But when it comes to reliable, inexpensive yeah they do it for me.
    In fact they care so little about what they look like that it becomes a positive for me.f

Function is all, image is nothing. I can live with that.

Boolit Bub
    I see a lot of speculation with no real pressure data. The OP mentioned Winchester 9mm 115 gr. LE agency loads. My father retired from the Illinois State Police in 1986, and this was the issue load for their S&W M39 at that time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0102.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	228826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0101.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	228827

I would be comfortable shooting a 40,000 CUP load in a Blackhawk, due to the fully supported case head in that gun. I personally would not run it through a semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneH View Post
    I see a lot of speculation with no real pressure data. The OP mentioned Winchester 9mm 115 gr. LE agency loads. My father retired from the Illinois State Police in 1986, and this was the issue load for their S&W M39 at that time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0102.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	228826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0101.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	228827

I would be comfortable shooting a 40,000 CUP load in a Blackhawk, due to the fully supported case head in that gun. I personally would not run it through a semi-auto.
    Apparently the ISP had no issues Firing it in their semi autos
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Apparently the ISP had no issues Firing it in their semi autos
    I think he kinda made a point there without meaning to.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

FWIW:

The late 80's the glock Armorers manual lists the 17/19 as being rated for 43,500psi. That's with the glock un-supported chambers.

Winchester had/has some pretty hot 9mm ammo. They sold mountains of the stuff.
    ww's ranger-t series that is 42,000cup rated
    http://www.winchesterle.com/Lists%2F...13%2FRA9TA.pdf
    That 42,000cup ammo being tested in a glock 19
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSY018CXRi8
    You can buy that same ammo for $28 a box (ra9ta)
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/61176

That (ra9ta) winchester ammo is pretty popular and has been used in countless makes/mfg's of different firearms. Anyway there's a ton of video's out there showing shooter's using hot 9mm ammo, do a search on winchester ranger t-series ammo. You'll see anything from taurus's to berska's shooting/using that 42,000cup ammo.

I'm not telling anyone to use or not use anything. Just pointing out that +p+ ammo has been around for decades and still is being used to this day. I do find it surprising that this thread/website came up with it's a "ruger" only ammo when countless 1000's of le agencies using 1,000,000's of firearms that weren't rugers have used this ammo for decades. Let along the ammo in question is actually mild compared to the modern winchester ra9ta ammo (42,000cup vs 40,000cup) that has been fling off the shelves/bought up fast/extremely popular for years.

Boolit Buddy
    One the back of my box Winchester(RA9115P+) has is this warning, "These cartridges are loaded to specifications that require higher velocity and pressure than conventional 9mm Luger cartridges: average pressures is 20-25% higher(approximately 40,000 C.U.P.) than industry standard pressure for 9mm Luger."

Boolit Master
    I've had several Ruger semi autos and the instruction manuals all said that their semi autos are designed with all 9mm in mind be it NATO,SAAMI or CIP. I would think the CZ 75 family of pistols would be as sturdy being all steel.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem is that +P+ is neither SAAMI standard nor NATO nor CIP, so as I said before, it is not endorsed officially nor warranted. So therefore not “all” 9mm ammo is endorsed if it does not fall into those categories. +P+ does not.

I have read a lot of Ruger manuals myself. I can trot out any number of them that tell you very specifically not to use +P+ ammo. Just quoting the source here.

The caution not to use it is highlighted in red letters. Obviously they want to get your attention and desire that particular message to be clearly understood.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.

It will shoot in most 9mm. In the limited amount that you have not much to worry about. If feed a steady diet of this type of ammo is used some autos will start to malfunction due to wear faster than others.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot the 115 9BPLE +p+ Federal load in Glocks, Beretta 92s and a couple Hi Powers (*with heavy aftermarket recoil springs in the BHP) with no ill effects.

I see no reason to accelerate the wear on any of my 9's that use of +P+ ammunition entails. Stephen Camp, the long time guru of all things pertaining to Browning Hi-Powers, cautioned against any +P use in the earlier guns. (Mkl and Mkll's). In his own use, IIRC, he used a stiffer than issue recoil spring to mitigate against battering when using any ammunition that approached max velocities. With today's boutique bullets, at a buck a piece, standard pressure ammunition should do all that a 9 is capable of...IMHO...YMMV, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The problem is that +P+ is neither SAAMI standard nor NATO nor CIP, so as I said before, it is not endorsed officially nor warranted. So therefore not “all” 9mm ammo is endorsed if it does not fall into those categories. +P+ does not.

I have read a lot of Ruger manuals myself. I can trot out any number of them that tell you very specifically not to use +P+ ammo. Just quoting the source here.

The caution not to use it is highlighted in red letters. Obviously they want to get your attention and desire that particular message to be clearly understood.
    Try the lcr manual
    Last edited by Forrest r; 10-24-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many warn against it. Read your owners manual and find out.

Have not read the LCR manual. By all means photocopy and paste their approval of +P+ with your phone camera if you can do so.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-24-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ruger Blackhawk Convertible will eat that stuff three meals a day and midnight snack with no issues.

^^^This^^^

Boolit Grand Master
    For example, Smith and Wesson specifically warns against the use of +P+ in its full size, or any size for that matter, 9mm autoloading pistols. FWIW.

Read your owner’s manual and decide if you want to pay attention to warnings or not.

Boolit Bub
    There are several sites where this ammo is for sale today. After a quick cursory search, I was surprised at the number of companies that make +P+ ammo. My experience with +P+ has been used in Full Auto guns. Uzi's love HOT ammo. To me, it improves the cyclic rate. The same with the H&K MP5. Personally, why would you want to shoot this ammo? Maybe if you had a Single Shot pistol and had ONE shot. Shot recovery from the blast and muzzle flip would take more time which in turn would delay a second shot on target.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded a batch of 9mm+P+ for my 1911 9mms. I think it makes them function a bit better, especially since the main springs and slides are set up for 10mm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast