RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Fake S&W Mod 13 Air Crewman

My Fake S&W Mod 13 Air Crewman

I just got some sad news from Roy Jinks today. My Air Crewman is a fake. Turns out that some one stamped the Air Force markings and model number on a .38 military & police airweight, pre mod 12. Which is in it's self, a very rare hand gun. It was shipped from the factory on July 9, 1936 to the Charleston Hardware in WV. for $39.71, S&W has offered to replace the aluminum cylinder with a steel one for no charge. I thought that was generous. Thanks S&W. In the interest of safety going forward, I'll have this done. At least I can shoot it then. But then what? What has this done to the value of the mod 12, and how do you put a value on some thing that has been defaced? So what say the collective? What would you do with it?

Boolit Master

Shoot the heck out of it !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Tough break...sorry that happened. I guess its main value now is in utility and as a good story-telling object. Guess you'll never see the seller again?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Tough break...sorry that happened. I guess its main value now is in utility and as a good story-telling object. Guess you'll never see the seller again?
    Oh no. It was my dad's. He passed in 08. It was part of his collection and I just got around to doing the research on it. Had it been correct, I would have sold it. Honestly, I have no interest in it. No shortage of nice revolvers to shoot over here, and I have concealed carry covered from derringers to small plastic pistols to 1911's. Sad that someone defaced an otherwise nice rare revolver. Hope pops didn't get stung on it. Maybe I'll list it on GB and see what happens. With full disclaimer of course.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How deep are the markings?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given the totality of the situation, I like your selected option of having the factory fit a steel cylinder to the existing platform. I would have trouble selling off any gun that I got from my deceased Dad. The steel cylinder would allow for shooting with judiciously-selected 38 Special standard-pressure ammo.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How deep are the markings?
    I don't really know how to answer that but to say pretty deep. If one were to try and polish them out, it would be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Given the totality of the situation, I like your selected option of having the factory fit a steel cylinder to the existing platform. I would have trouble selling off any gun that I got from my deceased Dad. The steel cylinder would allow for shooting with judiciously-selected 38 Special standard-pressure ammo.
    I understand what you're saying. But this was a rather large collection. Some of the items (like this) were bought purely for speculation. The nicer stuff and guns he liked and actually used are staying.

Boolit Buddy
    I suspect S&W will not return the alloy cylinder--but if you return a cylinderless weapon they may balk at furnishing a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I suspect S&W will not return the alloy cylinder--but if you return a cylinderless weapon they may balk at furnishing a replacement.
    I expect they would not. From a liability stand point, they want that aluminum cylinder out of circulation. understandable.

Banned
    I'm confused, is there a typo in the title to this thread ?

The gun in question is a pre-model 12 with an aluminum cylinder that was marked to make it look like an Air crewman but is really a pre-model 12 not a model 13. Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm confused, is there a typo in the title to this thread ?

The gun in question is a pre-model 12 with an aluminum cylinder that was marked to make it look like an Air crewman but is really a pre-model 12 not a model 13. Or did I miss something?
    You're spot on. A pre-mod 12, .38 M&P Airweight, with aluminum cylinder, that has been marked/stamped as a Mod-13 Air Crewman. Someone along the line has attempted to counterfeit an Air Crewman by stamping the markings on a pre-mod 12. I guess the title to the thread is misleading, since it's not an Air Crewman. I'll go change it.

Edit,
    I can't change the thread title

Banned
    So the thread title should say: "My Fake S&W Mod 12 Air-Crewman"

And I understand that you can't edit the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    So the thread title should say: "My Fake S&W Mod 12 Air-Crewman"

And I understand that you can't edit the thread title.
    Yes, that would be much more accurate. So, what would you do with it?

Boolit Master
    Shoot it. It’s a cool gun as is but if you have plenty sombody will like it just for a conservation peice

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Yes, that would be much more accurate. So, what would you do with it?
    I already edited. It said "S&W Mod 13 Air-Crewman"

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Keep the original cylinder and buy a steel one from e-bay and hope it is a decent fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Keep the original cylinder and buy a steel one from e-bay and hope it is a decent fit.
    There's a thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Splitting hairs here BUT: The U.S. Air force M13 is not the same thing as a S&W Model 13.

The U.S. Air Force M13 was a S&W pre-model 12 that had an aluminum alloy frame and an aluminum cylinder and was marked on the back strap "Property of U.S. Air Force" and Later on just "U.S." It was known as the M13 but that was an Air Force designation, not a S&W model name.

Later, S&W released the Model 13 which was a steel K-frame chambered in .357 magnum and had fixed sights.

M13 and Model 13 are not the same thing in this particular instance.

A S&W Model 12 looks like a M13 but the model 12 has a steel cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast