RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Fake S&W Mod 13 Air Crewman

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I just got some sad news from Roy Jinks today. My Air Crewman is a fake. Turns out that some one stamped the Air Force markings and model number on a .38 military & police airweight, pre mod 12. Which is in it's self, a very rare hand gun. It was shipped from the factory on July 9, 1936 to the Charleston Hardware in WV. for $39.71, S&W has offered to replace the aluminum cylinder with a steel one for no charge. I thought that was generous. Thanks S&W. In the interest of safety going forward, I'll have this done. At least I can shoot it then. But then what? What has this done to the value of the mod 12, and how do you put a value on some thing that has been defaced? So what say the collective? What would you do with it?
    Good on S&W for coming through with a steel cylinder and as skeettz says shot the heck out of it.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to trade you a real Aircrewman for your fake one, as mine got smashed by the Gubberment ! I did get a couple of good parts off it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I'd like to trade you a real Aircrewman for your fake one, as mine got smashed by the Gubberment ! I did get a couple of good parts off it though.
    Close, but no cigar. What else ya got?

Banned
    fastdadio, I also think you have a typo concerning the date.

Could that date be 1956 instead of 1936?

1956 would work as a plausible date for a pre-model 12.

Boolit Grand Master
    Isn't nomenclature FUN??
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Isn't nomenclature FUN??
    It can be....

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    fastdadio, I also think you have a typo concerning the date.

Could that date be 1956 instead of 1936?

1956 would work as a plausible date for a pre-model 12.
    I just double checked the letter from Roy Jinks, and yup, that's the date given. It says it shipped from the factory on July 9 1936, and was delivered to the Charleston Hardware Co. Maybe Roy hit the wrong key. For $75.00 bux, I expect it to be accurate. But then, I'm no expert on these things. That's why I hired one. Why do you question it?

Banned
    That is likely a typo from Roy Jinks or there is something else at play. Perhaps he researched the wrong gun by accident.

S&W didn't make a lightweight alloy framed revolver in the 1930's. The pre-model 12 lightweight was made in the 1950's and later became the model 12 when S&W started using model numbers. The early examples were made with aluminum cylinders, including the M13 Air Crewman revolvers sold to the U.S. Air Force. The aluminum cylinders proved to be problematic and eventually the military guns were largely destroyed. S&W would replace the aluminum cylinders on civilian models whenever they came back to the factory.

Because the real U.S. Air Force Air Crewman guns are now rare and command a premium, they are often faked.

Boolit Master

From examining a bunch of Air Force M13s that were condemned, I can see the reason that S & W and the government didn't want them on the street. Most had barrels that you could wobble with your fingers and cylinders were all messed up. I know no history on these guns but suspect they were issue guns that had been carried to VN by air crews as it was about that era. No telling what ammo was used in them and the climate in VN was really bad on our M16s so between these two factors, that did them in. I wouldn't have fired one for anything in the condition I saw them but someone probably did. Don't know if they were de-milled or not as they were on hold at the time. Not accountable at the time and I could have absconded with one but had no desire for that piece of junk after examination./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    That is likely a typo from Roy Jinks or there is something else at play. Perhaps he researched the wrong gun by accident.

S&W didn't make a lightweight alloy framed revolver in the 1930's. The pre-model 12 lightweight was made in the 1950's and later became the model 12 when S&W started using model numbers. The early examples were made with aluminum cylinders, including the M13 Air Crewman revolvers sold to the U.S. Air Force. The aluminum cylinders proved to be problematic and eventually the military guns were largely destroyed. S&W would replace the aluminum cylinders on civilian models whenever they came back to the factory.

Because the real U.S. Air Force Air Crewman guns are now rare and command a premium, they are often faked.
    Looks like I'll have to follow up and confirm the date printed in this letter. This could take a while if I can't find an e-mail address. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    From examining a bunch of Air Force M13s that were condemned, I can see the reason that S & W and the government didn't want them on the street. Most had barrels that you could wobble with your fingers and cylinders were all messed up. I know no history on these guns but suspect they were issue guns that had been carried to VN by air crews as it was about that era. No telling what ammo was used in them and the climate in VN was really bad on our M16s so between these two factors, that did them in. I wouldn't have fired one for anything in the condition I saw them but someone probably did. Don't know if they were de-milled or not as they were on hold at the time. Not accountable at the time and I could have absconded with one but had no desire for that piece of junk after examination./beagle
    I'm not exactly impressed with this one either. Which is why I stated earlier that I have no real desire to keep or shoot it. It's tight though, and shows little wear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12