Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Crazy idea check???

Boolit Master

Crazy idea check???

Tell me if this is a bad idea or not. We all know that some of these group buys can take a long time to come together to where we have a mold in our hands.
    I want another HP mold for my new 41magnum and found a 4C GC mold. Personally speaking, I dont find it necessary to use GCs in my handguns.
    So I was thinking of ordering the GC mold and then taking it to work and reaming out the GC area of the mold.
    Im a machinist and tool and die maker by trade so the operation doesnt seem to be a big deal.
    Is reaming the GC area out a “nuts-o” idea?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

been done lots of times. may need to redo the spru plate screw hole. you can order molds individually from noe, mihec, and others, you do not need to wait for a group buy.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    No ,I don't think it's nutzo. I have read on Cast Boolits that many have done this, and being a machinist, you should have no problem doing it. Remove the gas check shank area rather than reducing the top of then mold. I think reducing the height of the mold would reduce the bullet weight
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Buddy
    Have never done it myself, but have seen many times where folks have milled off part of the bottom of mold to eliminate gas check shoulder or simply to make a lighter bullet. What you are doing is opening up the bottom of the mold to full bullet body diameter, which would be a little trickier than just milling off the bottom section, but you obviously have the equipment and the skill.

My real reason for posting is I am trying to figure out why doing this might require redoing the mold sprue plate hole, as rancher suggested. Not a criticism, just trying to understand.

Thanks,

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=

My real reason for posting is I am trying to figure out why doing this might require redoing the mold sprue plate hole, as rancher suggested. Not a criticism, just trying to understand.

Thanks,

Jackpine[/QUOTE]

If you mill off the bottom of the mould, thus eliminating the gas check shank and making the boolit lighter, you may have to re-drill and tap the sprue plate hole deeper to get enuf purchase on the sprue plate screw.

If you simply mill out the gas check shank, thus making the boolit slightly heavier, you do not have to change the sprue plate hole.
    Jackpine--does that help?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

Its not crazy. If you have the skills and tooling it should work out fine. I've had a few bevel base molds that I would have liked to do this with.

Boolit Buddy
    That is what I thought. OP was not talking about milling off, but just opening up, so could not understand why rethread of screw. Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

If you have the correct Mill bit, it is very easy.
    Ranch Dog offered that service on his molds when he was selling 6 cav Lee customs in his designs...I have one 41 mag 155gr RF mold from him that had the GC shank Milled for PB.

If this mold is alum, a person handy with hand tools, can use an exacto knife to remove most of the material, then hone/polish the remaining material down to size with a wood dowel and varying grits of sandpaper. I haven't tried this, but may give it a go some day...I have read others having doing this successfully.

PS, 6 years ago, I wrecked my first mold (a Lee Bator) by trying to remove a GC shank using a chinese drill bit in a chinese drill press. BUT in that vary moment before I went too deep, I think I could have been successful, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

With your background, it might take you a half hour once you think about it for a while. I have a Lee mold that had a bevel bottom on the bullet, and I drilled/reamed the bevel off. For me set up was the longest part with the clamps, centering the mold cavity, etc. I drilled the bevel out then reamed the bullet base to area final specs.. After the bullet is sized, any mold modifications/machining marks cannot be seen...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Tom at Accurate will cut a mold of your specifications in the material and cavity count of your chosing. But if cost is the concern, then it looks to be a doable and interesting project for one who has the tooling and wherewithal.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have often thought about it too. I haven’t gotten around to it, maybe because I’m not a machinest and don’t have access to a machine shop. If I did it I would be forced to use a drill press and wooden dowel with sandpaper.

What I don’t understand is, if you remove anything you are going to end up with a heavier not lighter boolit. Right? You don’t remove the shank of the boolit. Just the part of the mold that makes the indent for the GC. Right?

I just want to have confirmation I am understanding what I think I understand, before I screw something up.

Boolit Master
    Remember the lube groove area in front of check. You know how to find center, it's on you now!

Boolit Master
    I've done it successfully both by shortening the mold and by reaming the GC area. and I'm NOT a machinist, so it should be easy for you.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Moderator Emeritus

I have done several with a chinese bit in a chinese press. The key is making sure run-out is at a minimum, you have a good machinist vice and accurate depth. As you know a flute is better than a bit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I did two Lee 38-55 double cavity molds with the bevel base, I used a wood dowel split with a hacksaw blade and 60 grit sandpaper to start then real fine grit to finish it up, worked great. I did all this with a Chinese drill press.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, now its just a matter of ordering the mold. Unfortunately, the new 41mag didnt show to be very accurate today with the boolit I do have for it.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

I have done them with a reamer when the right size is available better is a true boring head in the mill a sharp short bit and a few thou at a time makes a truly round base and very nice finish. If you have digital read out then indicate each cavity in to 0,0,0 and make note of the numbers bore the first one then use the numbers and bore the rest. A reamers 34* cutting edge may get to the band and change it if depth is controlled close. I did one in the jig grinder got a guy also.