Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: 348 win

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

348 win

I’m looking at a rifle that takes 348 Win. I have a lot of .45-70 cases and was wondering if I could turn a few into 348. I noticed they take the same shell holders and it got me thinking. Doesn’t seem like they are easy to find and expensive.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    348 brass can not be made from 45-70 brass.
    Look on gun broker for brass. Around $2 a piece.
    Lee 45-70 she'll holder works for 348. Other companies use different holders for brass.

Boolit Master

I will take care of your issue, let me have (buy) the 348
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I believe the parent case for the 348 was the 50-110.

Bird is, as far as I looked, right about the price of brass. Grafs has boxes of 20 for just under $40.00.

Brass was a bit cheaper and much more readily available up until about 6 years ago.

EDIT: Seems to be some possibility that Starline Brass may start manufacturing 348 brass sometime in the future.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...48-Winchester/
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 10-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

I checked starline. They are out of stock and don’t plan to be making more. I also don’t really need 250 pieces, there minimum.

Two bucks a piece doesn’t sound bad. I found loaded Winchester for $65. I think 20 will be enough to get me started.

Lee has a good deal on dies, but not moulds. NOE doesn’t seem to have them either. I found some jacked bullies for a fair price, but I’d prefer cast my own. Does Gun Brokers ship out of the US?
    Midway have them, but they won’t ship out of the country. Won’t even take credit card from a bank in a different country. Otherwise, I could have it shipped to a friend and he could forward it to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline have not made any 348 brass yet. They are due to start production soon I think, and they also sell to dealers who resell in smaller amounts. Most arms related equipment is regulated federally when being shipped out of the USA.
    Gun Broker is an online auction, that has many private sellers as well as businesses.
    348 molds are few and far between. RCBS lists a 200grain gas checked bullet mold, but I think they are $120.
    Where are you located?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I checked starline. They are out of stock and don’t plan to be making more. I also don’t really need 250 pieces, there minimum.

Two bucks a piece doesn’t sound bad. I found loaded Winchester for $65. I think 20 will be enough to get me started.

Lee has a good deal on dies, but not moulds. NOE doesn’t seem to have them either. I found some jacked bullies for a fair price, but I’d prefer cast my own. Does Gun Brokers ship out of the US?
    Midway have them, but they won’t ship out of the country. Won’t even take credit card from a bank in a different country. Otherwise, I could have it shipped to a friend and he could forward it to me.
    Greg
    Not sure where you are but Cast Bullet Engineering in Queensland makes a good 225 grain gascheck mold for the 348 - they ship anywhere . I load it over 56 grains of winchester 760 in my rifle - its a slammer - much better effect on heavy critters up close than the hornady softpoints.

Boolit Grand Master

I am in France. I guess shipping from Queensland might not make sense, but wondering how much that mould would cost there?

Also, could I cast something larger and size it down?

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells UK is worth a look at . They are expensive compared to their USA prices, about double I think. I would guess that anything they have in the USA, can be shipped to their UK branch.
    If you can buy 20 rounds loaded for $65 equivalent, then do so. Brownells want's 66 uk pounds for 20 hornady brass, but are out of stock...thats around $4.25 each.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Tom at Accuratemolds.com will put you right!

Heres a 250gr design: http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=35-250B-D.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35-250B-D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	228754

http://accuratemolds.com

Boolit Master
    I am in France. I guess shipping from Queensland might not make sense, but wondering how much that mould would cost there?

Also, could I cast something larger and size it down?
    a double cavity brass gas check mold would be AU$135 (about an even hundred US) plus shipping, Aussie shipping overseas is not so bad (better than US to here) I have had a couple of molds from him this year and he had them in the mail inside a week . My rifle is a browning 71 and it likes this boolit.
    Casting oversize and sizing down often sounds like a good idea - practically never works - you would need to size down ten thou - would take a couple of passes (any lead boolit that takes advantage of the 348 is gonna be fairly hard (my load clocks 2350 FPS) - you will end up with near no lube grooves and a heap of finning at the base OR a squished up nose .
    CBE has a good website - take a look .

Boolit Master
    You will also Find David to be a really nice guy to deal with, I have several of his moulds. Regards Stephen

Moderator Emeritus

I was in want of a mould for .348 Win a few years back, and landed a quite inexpensive mould on eBay: LYMAN 350447 .348 Win. 200 gr. 1-cavity mould (FNGC) -- #447 top punch. The only down-size is the comparative slowness of the single cavity mould versus those with several cavities -- but, the boolits dropped worked superbly. As a lot of vendors on eBay reside in France, it might be reciprocal. HOWEVER -- and albeit I am ignorant re the actual laws -- a lot of vendors profess they will not ship much loading and similar equipment past that double-yellow line on maps about the USA -- so you may need check into that. BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

I have a Mountain Molds .348 mold. I got it before he started his design your own mold application. It has been awhile since I used it so I don't know exactly what size it drops. My note also says it is a bore ride boolit.

I just looked at his design page and I'm glad I didn't have to design my mold. I might end up with something completely impractical but I'm sure others could get exactly what they wanted.

Have a look at his page:

https://www.mountainmolds.com/
    John
    W.TN

Can you PayPal the money to him?