Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Propane smelting pot rimg vents

Boolit Buddy

Propane smelting pot rimg vents

Is it necessary to vent the bottom ring around a smelting pot? Just built one from a propane tank and was wondering if the vent holes around the bottom ring were required. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Fox

Boolit Grand Master

When I built my propane tank pot I made a second ring from the tank for a new full dia base. I cut 8 half holes on the top edge around it and welded it together. this allows the heat to flow up and around the pot better. my ring is down to the stands grate and open below that. Im using a weed burner for heat so a lot of concentrated heat from it.

Boolit Buddy
    That’s what I was asking about. I use a natural gas wok burner for heat with a wind shield about two inches out from the pot. Inwill try to load a pic.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	560F27AD-57CC-40F6-9165-590770F71C30.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	228749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10D75192-C23C-4F04-B9F8-6F6DDF1E16ED.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	228750
    Here they are.

Boolit Master
    When I did my pot I left a few openings around the top. It has worked out well as I have now processed sever thousand ingots from range lead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1619_5.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	228962

Anyone selling pots like these any longer? I'm in need of one.

Boolit Master
    If you have something like a hacksaw or better, you can cut the top off an out of date propane tank and you will have a useable pot. It will hold the heat better if you add a skirt and it pours cleaner metal with a bottom pour but just the plain pot will work.

Boolit Grand Master

First if you decide on DIY be safe flush tank with solvent good then several times with soapy water. fill with water and drain. This cleans and pushes out any remaining flammables. A simple way to cut is to mark height desired and put a even wrap of tape around at this point edge of tape with mark. follow this around with the hacksaw and a fine blade. For the ring cut a piece 3-4" wide from remaining tank and weld on to pot His makes your heat ring and also a much bigger seat or foot print for stability.
    Some use a grinder but I don't recommend it do to sparks and possibility of tank not completely leaned or flushed out. A good hacksaw cut thru and walk around following the tape line actually goes pretty quick, I think I did mine in around 45 mins each cut. The tanks are around .090-.100 thick steel. When cut clean up edge and deburr.

The above can be done with simple tools.
    Ruler measure the pot and ring
    Hacksaw and 32 tpi blade cut the tank
    file or small grinder clean up and deburr edges
    level to set ring to pot true
    Roll of masking tape 1 1/2" wide this when wrapped flat and wrinkle free so edges match gives a very true line to cut to.

Boolit Master

I don't see that anyone has said this and it may be obvious, but make sure you take the plumbing (valve) out of the top first. Then flush as above. I've got a couple that have been sitting open like that for several years. I kinda disremember but I think I cut mine with a torch but it'd been flushed and sitting open for a couple of years.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    You can remove the valves yourself with a pipe wrench and a steel bar for leverage. Use one to pull against the other. I did it on two old propane 20 lb bottles. It is a rather slow process.

My local propane supplier has old tanks. They remove the valves so they can recycle the tanks.
    I had to wait a few days to get one. They wait and do a bunch at a time.
    I told them what I wanted one for and let me have one for free.
    I flushed out with water. Set upside down and left to set a few weeks. Propane is heavier than air so setting upside down help the propane come out.
    Once it sat I then marked the line I wanted to cut at and used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. I then cut out a section to weld on the bottom to get a full size bottom. This is less tippy.
    I have not cut vent holes in this skirt. I may cut out the original bottom ring.
    Leo