Inline FabricationRepackboxStainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: First Try - tickled ..... red

Cool First Try - tickled ..... red

Batch one and batch two from my first try at powder coating. Followed Smoke's directions exactly, but still sweated the end results. After swirling and shaking I didn't think the coverage was very good. Things cooled off around here last night but it's still a bit humid. Thought I'd rub the container with some flannel to help build static. Looked around and spied my military wool gloves. Put them on, rubbed the container some, gave it the swirls and shakes and they looked great.
    I think Batch 2 looks better than Batch 1. Guess that's from experience, eh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 378-674 PCed Batch 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	228744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 378-674 PCed Batch 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	228745

They look great! Is that Smoke’s signal red? I have had very good results with signal red, signal blue, and jet black. I also mix for others colors.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

nice to hear from a first timer that does not try to use harbor freight powder and then wine that pc is not worth it. smokes were the first powder I used and is still all I will use, it works.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Wheelgun, thank you. It was rather fun doing it. I think the color is what Smoke calls "Flame Red". I also have Signal Blue and John Deere Green. One may be for a BACO 38-55 bullet and the other for a Lyman 405 grain 45-70 bullet. Guess I need another color for a Hoch 500 grain 45-70 bullet.
    Rancher, I read a lot about other peoples experiences with various powders. They seemed to work, but not consistently. Two things stood out about Smoke's powders. 1) He personally tests each one. 2) You follow his instructions, they work. Other peoples experiences gave me info about watching for warning signs on issues. The static charge for example.

After a couple of hours each batch passed the crush test, the smash test and the acetone test.

Looks good. Much better than the harbor freight PC.

Plus one for smoke’s powders! I started with his powders, they worked great from the beginning, why change. When I first started powder coating, I bought red, white, and blue. The white worked good but seemed to need 2 coats. I am sure it would have worked fine with 1, but it didn’t look great. So, instead of using it by itself, I mixed it with signal blue for a light blue, and red for a pink. I really like to mix the red with the blue for a nice purple. With a little creativity and experimentation the sky is the limit.

Boolit Master
    Still waiting for Smoke to come out with some good Chrome! I need chrome.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Still waiting for Smoke to come out with some good Chrome! I need chrome.
    Chrome would be cool!

Boolit Buddy

Why wait for chrome? Plain cast boolits with Smoke's clear gives you a plain cast boolit look with what is arguably the best powder coat that covers great every time. As far as getting good coverage is concerned, just do it in an air-conditioned/de-humidified area. My basement has both and coverage is never a concern. Of course, I take the convection oven outside for the heating/curing process. To help maintain good, consistent heat, I load a tray of lead ingots that when heated maintains good, even heat. Big Boomer