RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Sauce Business?

Boolit Master

I want some too!

Moderator Emeritus

Shark Tank

Since others are suggesting some 'far-out' ideas, I'll throw that one out there LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Hot sauces are a very crowded market at the moment. Same thing for barbecue sauce. I watched at least one person come through the Show Shark Tank w/ a sauce. The amount of money the contestant had already spent was in the hundreds of thousands. But that was nothing compared to the numbers being discussed about distribution.

I wish you luck if you try to sell it. But it’s not going to be an easy one.

Boolit Buddy
    put me down for one

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Good luck on your journey with the hot sauce! Don't know whee you are, but if you got big enough to have to buy peppers - check out Hatch, NM. When we go to AZ from MI, we usually take the road through Hatch and hot peppers are all over the place - it's my understanding that they are one of largest growers - but that is hearsay from talking with folks there.

Jaysouth is right, not just about sauce, but a lot of products too. I would make enough for local restaurants that will purchase and farmers market. Forget chains. Maybe a few local groceries that dont charge for spots for locally produced items. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

How hot on the Scoville? A niche or "hook" is where you can make it. Forget Food Lion, WalMart etc for now anyways. Guy at home found one for Maple Syrup. Not by the gallon but selling it in small, fancy shaped bottles as "Organic Maple Syrup" through boutiques in NYC. Instead of the
    $40 Gal it normally goes for he is getting something like $500 gal. Same syrup. We both laughed like heck over the flatlanders but he is making Bank.

I'd work that angle, online sales like Etsy and so on.

I'd like to try a bottle but I don't like real hot death sauce. Texas Pete is about as hot as I like.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Fly in the ointment-Health Department.
    Here in Ohio, you need to manufacture your product in a certified kitchen, have the kitchen inspected by the health dept. and if you pass you will have to buy a $200.00 licence every year. Fines are in the thousands of dollars and you'll need insurance incase someone gets sick from your hot sause.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here in Wis. you have to book spots in a certified kitchen, and have the health dept. inspect, and show proof of insurance. Can't imagine Illinois would miss a chance at taxing, and regulating you too. They have hit just about everywhere else, to tax.

Boolit Bub
    If you ever take a road trip from southern IL to the great Southwest, stop by Subiaco Abbey in Arkansas and try some of their "monk sauce." A couple of the monks have a pretty good side business going re: hot sauce, and I bet they would enjoy sharing some advice re: production and marketing. Plus, it's just a neat/beautiful trip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

I'd like to try a bottle but I don't like real hot death sauce. Texas Pete is about as hot as I like.
    Texas Pete on the sausage, egg and cheese biscuit at breakfast, French fries, and barbecue. Tapatio on grilled meat and McIlhenny's on the collards and turnip greens with roots.

Boolit Master

At some point,if the business grows you will not be able to raise the peppers yourself. You will need to be in the kitchen instead of in the garden. I am sure Heinz does not grow its tomatoes. Besides your supply will be seasonal and unavailable most of the year.
    I would start with local restaurants and some way have the brand mentioned. Remember some restaurants proclaimed "We serve Coke-cola as our drink product". You may supply the restaurant with serving containers with your logo, like Coke-cola on the drinking glasses.
    Next I would supply the local farmers market vendors with your product, like honey suppliers do.You do not need to be there to sell your product and it can be sold at several markets in a larger area.
    I am sure there are outlets that specialize in products made in the state or region. I think Kentucky has the logo Made in Kentucky for in state products. People are loyal to local products. Here in WV there are several stores that specialize in local products.
    A local salsa maker here started with pint and half pint canning jars as her container. That way the container is a usable product after the hot sauce is used.
    Good luck

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I did it with "Jami McPhillips Kilt tilt'n Hot Thai Sauce" Home grown and all organic for 10 years
    Limited market but good interest locally! I'm now into Urfa Bieber/ Aleppo lacto fermented hot sauce! Very good but again limited market until word of mouth
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Others have done it you can too. Onward!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Texas Pete on the sausage, egg and cheese biscuit at breakfast, French fries, and barbecue. Tapatio on grilled meat and McIlhenny's on the collards and turnip greens with roots.
    I never used hot sauce growing up in Northern New England, don't think I ever saw any, but when I joined the Army I quickly learned to carry a bottle whenever in the field. You can eat powdered eggs, fried spam or whatever if you give them a dose of Tabasco.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Well I do have to say you can sell for awhile until the State steps in! Almost every state has regulations that is why I only sold to private parties!
    I'm really not sure it is worth the hassel! I usually give as "gifts"
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12