Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Hunting with Dogs!!!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hunting with Dogs!!!

Hunting with Man’s best friend... some folks run bears, cougars, boar. Some dogs are blind sitters. How do you use Man’s best friend in the Hunt.

My Dog is named Missy. She is a mixed breed mutt that I got from a Forest Service friend. Medium sized and big enough to be rugged, small enough to not eat me outta house and home, lean and fast. A little over 2ish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19E80B62-56BB-4857-B21C-D0E8B8F6737E.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	230194

She hunts everything with me. Deer hunting and stalking, she is at heal religiously. She never fails to alert silently when there is something I don’t notice. She tracks wonderfully when there is a shot, and I have never lost a deer when she is with me due to the super dense forest here and lack of blood trails.

Duck hunting, she is by my side as well and although she will not take one in her mouth, she will point one out that is fallen in the grass marshes that I hunt. We own runner ducks for eggs, and so I have trained her not to mess with the ducks and chickens, but when you have a green winged teal down in the thick grass, a simple command of “find it” has her off into the thickness and soon standing over the teal.

She is my first line of defense against bears, which there are a lot of. She never fails to alert and do what is necessary against bears. She also protects the property, and alerts me to anything amiss. This includes following up on a dead bear.

When released on the trail, she never wanders farther then about 40 yards, always watches to see where her hunters are, and is quick to return on heal command. She hunts mushrooms with me bear defense, woodcuts with me for for bear defense, and is a total house pet. We have countless hours working with her, is never chained, or leased except during a trip to town.

Name:	0A7AA506-B2CD-4974-8F96-E39279D30FDF.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	230195

Name:	A3686A23-603D-4515-8DFC-E56AD103DA93.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	230196

Training your dog is time well spent.
    Tell us about your Hunting dog and how you use them...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    That’s a good dog. In a nutshell, what does it take to train a dog that much?

I have a Blue Tick that tries to hunt but isn’t very god. When I first got her I worked alot and didn’t have much time. I just wish I knew how to train her...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

A good dog is an investment, and not in how much you pay for it. It takes time as a pup teaching them how to learn, how to communicate. I have found that is the single most important thing. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it is so much easier to teach a pup how to learn. Play is critical, fairness, reward, and most of all time.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    I was invited to hunt small game today with a pair of dogs.
    A long walk in the woods but we only saw a few capercaillies that flew away out of range.
    Still, a nice day with good dogs and good coffee
    One is a drever (dachsbracke-ish) mix and the other a Finnish spitz mix.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a dog that knows how to eat sleep and well you know , she's not a hunter but then again that's not why we got her. She's just an all around house dog but takes her job seriously and not many people would want to mess with her. I wish I had time and a place to train a hunting dog but that has to wait til I retire.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I would not even think of hunting without my dog. Gus and I live for chasing pheasants. We get after a few other things as well.

Boolit Bub
    This is my dog by the way but she doesn't hunt

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Nothing better then getting out there with your fury buddy or buddies. It is not possible to have a bad day hunting and watching the dogs work. Enjoyment for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk