RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Knees

Boolit Master

Jon, I don't envy you in having knee problems. Having said that, I will also say that in my line-up of "older" friends, that knee replacement seems to be very common. For the most part my friends are getting along fine after the process. I know that it will never be as good as the good Lord made for you at the start, but it is getting so they have the procedure down pretty good. I hope the injection works good for you and it will give you relief and mobility for a long long time. However if it does not there is a pretty good option.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Jon, I'm sorry to hear that your knees are giving you problems. Sounds like you're headed for knee replacement in the near future? My mother had both of her knees replaced about 6 years ago. She recovered very quickly and has great mobility considering her other medical problems and age. She is 84 now. My wife has had meniscus tears and the associated surgery in both knees. One she recovered quickly. The other one not so much. She has recovered now and is doing well. Good luck and find a very good orthopedic surgeon.

The shots work to different degrees on different people or same person and different injury or area. Helped my back but only for a month or two however those were very good months. Spine surgeon said that told him that where they put the shot is where the problem is. Found a bone spur was really pinching a nerve, surgery helped. Had them for a shoulder and didn't help all that much I think it comes down to how well the do at hitting what needs the "juice".

Knees all I can say is the only reason to wait is you are too young. They don't like to do people under about 55 because they are more likely to outlive the knee and replacement at 70 is not good. Second time is not nearly as easy as the initial replacement. However you also don't want to wait until you are so old they won't do it for fear of putting you under and doing surgery.

Sister had both knees done, and because her company was going to drop insurance coverage she had both at once. Not good idea. Do one and follow through on all the physical therapy exercises so the knee doesn't become "frozen" from scar tissue growing between bone, muscle, and skin. Then do the second knee.

Depending on age and activity level you can end up with a pain free knee for the rest of your life. But start with the shots and go forward with planning to get the surgery scheduled. Replacement is a fix, the shots are temporary relief. Unless you have an injury that the shot helps heal rather than an underlying worn out joint.

Plan on exercise regime to help back and core, work with PT to get one planned for you to do at home. You fix knees that have been bad for a long time and it shifts alignment of spine and hips. Both can cause you discomfort. So exercises to help the areas that have to adapt to the new knee alignment and stride will be very much to your advantage.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

1911sw45 is right on. Cortisone in the long run will cause permanent damage. The doctors at the VA hospital has been using the rooster comb gel for more than 10 years. When I got mine knees gelled the told me that the gel doesn't damage the area at all, but cortisone will.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Are cortisone and steroid injections the same thing?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Discuss other injections with your Orthopedic Surgeon - not a GP or Family Med doctor. There are Supartz, Synvisc(SP?), and other drugs that are much less damaging to your remaining soft tissue and last much longer than Cortisone. They are typically administered in a series of injections spaced a few weeks apart. However, if your knees are like mine, you will have to face the reality that once they're shot, it's time to replace them.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Are cortisone and steroid injections the same thing?
    Yes, they are.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Yes, they are.
    Thank you

Moderator Emeritus

Jon, my wife had bone on bone and the shots did not work....she had a knee replacement about 9 weeks ago and she is up and running ..... she had a lot of pain for the first 2 to 3 weeks but presto chango the pain just went away......good luck brother.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Wow! two pages of it and not one hint about proper diet - repairing the damage with natural supplements - alkalising our systems
    Glucoseamine - chicken cartilage - gelatine - Boron - silicon (horsetail) - quit eating any grains at all - no sugar - a hundred things to try most of which will have some good effect for somebody
    When we stand straight and look down we sposed to be able to see our toes - not our belly button
    One cortisone shot is one too many
    I am worse than you guys because I know what to do and have let myself go - can only see the very tips of me toes
    That feller with the scalpel has six kids in an expensive school and his wife needs a new porsce - the system needs us sick! They were never taught nor are they interested in learning anything about preventative medicine or proper nutrition .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cracked Meniscus in one knee, arthritis in both. Had arthroscopic surgery after a few years on the meniscal tear, that fixed that side's swelling up to basketball size and reduced pain a lot. Changing MD's helped a lot too!

I've had Cortisone shots in knees but for me after the first few they just make my knees hurt. Your mileage may vary, we're all different. First few times they also were removing fluid from my knee capsules, like 40ccs on each side.

Tried the rooster comb gel (Hyaluronic acid) and the first shots helped a LOT, a few years; Just got the second set recently and thinking they'll last some time too. Takes me a couple days after the shots to recover, as everything re-adjusts somewhat. Helps a LOT though - for me - It's like a lube job for your knee joints.

My left knee has been junk since 1958 when I tore it up in gymnastics. I finally had it replaced about 20 years. It is now junk again and the right knee is as bad or worse. My lumbar spine is now also junk having lost 5 inches in height. So the knees are the least of my problems.

I just use a cane and drink whisky when it gets to bad. No more cutting on me! All the cutting and shots do is just pospone the inevitable, so why not deal with it and get on with life. The pain is not going away long term.

"The only people that don't have pain are dead people"...Dr. B.K. Kandaval, Rhumatoligist in Midland Texas 1992.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 10-12-2018 at 11:48 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    The Rooster gel, Synvisc type shots have a totally different purpose than Corticol Steroid (Cortisone) shots.

The first type is to lubricate the joint similar to the body’s natural lube, synovial fluid.

This C shot acts to reduce inflammation. Sometimes they add an anesthetic to the C to help with pain.

Two totally different treatments for different conditions of the knee.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Jon there is also shots of rooster comb that have helped several folks find relief. My knees are bone on bone it did not help me any.
    I had my 4th and final "Rooster Comb" injection this past Monday. So far I'll have to say that it's working very well as I now have no to very little pain in it. My brother in law had it done over 2 years ago and his is still working for him. I'll do just about anything to stay away from a replacement.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Jon, I sent a pm. I may be able to help reduce the pain in your knees.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    oh hrm, i didn't know there were different variations on the shots I just assumed my dad was getting the steroid. I'll ask him at dinner next week he might be getting the fluid replacement as that's what he needed, the cushioning between bone.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rick N Bama View Post
    I had my 4th and final "Rooster Comb" injection this past Monday. So far I'll have to say that it's working very well as I now have no to very little pain in it. My brother in law had it done over 2 years ago and his is still working for him. I'll do just about anything to stay away from a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    oh hrm, i didn't know there were different variations on the shots I just assumed my dad was getting the steroid. I'll ask him at dinner next week he might be getting the fluid replacement as that's what he needed, the cushioning between bone.
    Speaking of different procedures/injections...I don't recall the name or many of the details, but my friend had something like Tennis elbow, caused at work, by lifting/adjusting heavy rolls of paper above head level. He had a procedure that removed some blood, it was 're-worked' or some components removed and maybe something added? and then injected into his elbows...this required two visits and maybe a third, but he didn't need the third. It has worked for him so far, it's been about 10 months and he was off lifting restrictions at about the 6 month mark.
    >>>Question? Is that how Rooster Comb is put into your system?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Update:

While I haven't had my coffee yet...I'm not even into this cortisone shot 24 hours yet, as the Doc said it'll feel great in the first few hours, due to a numbing agent...and it did, but the real effect may take 2 to ten days...and this morning, it is hurting, but is walk-able...I hope it gets better, I am counting on it.
    sidenote: I'm usually stiff and sore all over, til the coffee kicks in

In response to a PM from Kevin:
    I'm pretty sure I'll be rolling the dice for knee replacements next time I need to see that Doc, if they are willing to do so? but since I'm not that old (53), who knows if that will be an option?

I've had bad knees for a long time, basically for my whole adult life. Could be partly hereditary? both my Dad and I have Osgood-Schlatters, mine was both in youth, then disappeared, but came back in my right knee as adult. Also, my Mom had her first knee replaced in 1985 the second a few years later...She was about 55 for the first...She blamed being a bank teller, standing on a hard floor for 35 years. Those replacements were a long time ago. It was great for my mom. They told her they last 10 years or so...she's still going on those same replacements...but due to her fall this year and hip replacement due to injury, the doc asked about the knees and had some x rays done and said he is amazed they aren't giving her pain...Mom said, OH there is some pain, but it's tolerable. But now at 88 and having had them done before, they don't suggest new replacements...unless something unexpected bad happens.

I am 53, some say the docs won't do replacements on us younger folks, which is why I put off having my knees looked at, even though I've had some various problems in the last two decades, each event they got better. BUT, this week, when I honestly couldn't walk after I did this mild twist, I HAD to go in...and glad I did.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Good luck! I hope everything works out in your favor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Speaking of different procedures/injections...I don't recall the name or many of the details, but my friend had something like Tennis elbow, caused at work, by lifting/adjusting heavy rolls of paper above head level. He had a procedure that removed some blood, it was 're-worked' or some components removed and maybe something added? and then injected into his elbows...this required two visits and maybe a third, but he didn't need the third. It has worked for him so far, it's been about 10 months and he was off lifting restrictions at about the 6 month mark.
    >>>Question? Is that how Rooster Comb is put into your system?
    the rooster comb stuff is just an injection. for the most part it is just a lubricant for the joints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast