Thread: 45ACP Cast Load

45ACP Cast Load

I'm Making some 45ACP Cast Loads:

230gr. LCFP - Bullet

WLP - Primer

10gr. Blue Dot - Powder

Any Thoughts?

Banned
    I could only find 1 recipe for blue dot in 45 ACP. Blue dot is more of a high-pressure powder for magnums and shotguns. I have had good luck with red dot and autocomp. 45 acp is a low Velocity cartridge generally cast with softer lead
    here is the first place online I look for cast boolit load data http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

at the end of this welcome/information, you'll find a link to a thread of free online load data and downloadable reloading

what other powders do you have? many people like Bullseye for most handgun loads,uniwue and 700X are also popular

Cobra- welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
    Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
    There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-screen-shots I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
    a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ce....htm?lid=10614
    or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rifle-chamber)
    2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy

Economical way to easily test lead hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Some alloys harden over time
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm
    different alloy’s different end hardnesses

Lead alloy calculator
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870
    3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
    The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
    Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
    Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
    NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
    Link to free online load data
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Boolit Master
    That is very nearly a Max charge in the Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook with a nominal 225 grain RN cast bullet. I would drop the charge by at least 0.5 grains to start with, and see how that works out. As stated above, Blue Dot isn't frequently used in the .45 ACP for a variety of reasons. A different (faster) powder would be something to look into.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    That is very nearly a Max charge in the Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook with a nominal 225 grain RN cast bullet. I would drop the charge by at least 0.5 grains to start with, and see how that works out. As stated above, Blue Dot isn't frequently used in the .45 ACP for a variety of reasons. A different (faster) powder would be something to look into.
    I personally use 231 or bullseye for my 230gr bullets.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot is a good powder for HOT loads in 45 ACP, but not something I'd start out using as my first powder. I've used it a bunch for loads in a Hi Point carbine and trying to see how fast you can get a 200 grain SWC going. I was able to get close to 1,300 FPS before the case started getting real banged up by the ejector and you could really feel the bolt slam back.

For use in a 1911 I stopped at 10 grains. I would start somewhere around 9.0 to 9.5. You can go even lower, but at that point there are better powders out there. There was a big difference in the recoil between 9 grains and 10 grains.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my experience Blue Dot is less than entirely satisfactory for hardball equivalent loads producing 850 +/- 30 fps with 230-grain bullets. You will probably experience unburned powder particles in the action and erratic velocities. Blue Dot does work well for heavy .45 ACP REVOLVER loads with 250-260 grain bullets using the charges recommended in the Speer Manuals No. 13 and later.

While some successfully use the heavier 250+ grain bullets in the M1911 pistol, I have found them to be "frame crackers" and do not recommend them.

For many years the standard service charge in the M1911 Ball cartridge was 5 grains of Bullseye. Bullseye has been used for the .45 ACP for full charges for over 100 years and in standard loadings I see no good reason to use any other powder.

Attachment 228720Attachment 228721
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    WW-231 and Bullseye do what I need in 45 ACP.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thanks reddog for the Info.

We are using this 230gr LCFP powder coated Bullet with the 10gr of Blue Dot for a 45acp Carbine that is +P rated also.

I think we will be alright as long as we don't exceed the pressure, Right?

Boolit Master

Why beat up yourself & your gun with hot loads? Been using 4gr Bullseye pushing the H&G 68 for years for IDPA & USPSA. Nice load that gets the job done, no malfunctions in any of my 1911's. Can shoot several hundred rounds without any pain in my old arthritic hands. Slow down & don't push your luck!

Boolit Master
    10 grains should be fine for a 45 ACP carbine rated for +P loads. I'd start lower with a handgun and would avoid shooting them much in guns not rated for +P loads. Blue Dot is probably the best powder for maximizing velocity with a longer barrel, however you can get some larger extreme spreads.

Boolit Master

The powder companies tend to list all possible combinations, even some not optimal. Besides longer carbine barrels, the only reason I might try a heavy BD load is to generate the gas to better utilize a muzzle compensator.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I am another vote for Bullseye for the 45ACP. The round and pistol was designed around this powder and billions of rounds have been loaded with this powder by Arsenals and various commercial factories. BE is available and small charges make it economical to use. It also have many other uses in handguns and reduced rifle loads.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks reddog

And I do have a Muzzle Compensator on this 45 ACP Carbine … HangFire

I was also wondering what the longest C.O.L. might be for the 45 ACP Strassell's Carbine ( Hi-Point ) that will still function in the Clip's. ?
    Last edited by Cobra; 10-14-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have used Unique for years in my 1911. Lately I have tried a couple of others. First try was 700x, then went to 231. Have heard Red Dot works well, but haven't tried it. Bullseye is a favorite with a lot of guys, too, but haven't tried it personally. It is an old standby powder for 45acp.

Unique shoots well, but is a little dirty unless loading up to the warm side.
    700x seems to work well, too.
    231 haven't used a lot yet but seems to be pretty good.
    Friends kind of split between 700x and 231 with more to the 231.

Boolit Man
    I've used a lot of red dot@ 5gr for the Lee 230 TC. Nice shooting load out of my M&P, and XDS.

Quote Originally Posted by HBAR2989 View Post
    I've used a lot of red dot@ 5gr for the Lee 230 TC. Nice shooting load out of my M&P, and XDS.
    And my Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    I used blue dot in 45Acp when I started reloading during the shortage.
    From memory you are at the higher end of the load data.
    That is where I ended up at, blue dot just didn’t burn fully at lower loadings.

My white shooting table was covered with, wait, you guessed it, blue dots when loaded at lower starting weights.

It worked, I didn’t notice any issues or even greater recoil.
    But as soon as I could get my hands on more suitable powder I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    WW-231 and Bullseye do what I need in 45 ACP.
    /\ Likewise

Banned
    And while we're at; There is just no good reason to hot rod the 45 ACP.

I shot the 45 ACP in 1911's, SIG 220's and some other pistols for years and then drifted away from that cartridge while pursuing other endeavors. Most of that shooting was with the 230 grain bullet weight.
    I recently returned to playing with the 45 ACP and was instantly reminded that it is a great cartridge. On this recent journey I decided to go with the 200 grain SWC (H&G 68 style bullet). Both bullet weights (230 & 200) perform very well in the 1911.
    While you can push a 45ACP pretty hard, there's just not much to be gained doing so. Why beat up the pistol to get a few more fps?

I recently did a test for full power loads(not +P) using 200 grain boolits in my 45ACP 1911 pistols. More as a proof of concept than anything I will ever use frequently.
    Accuracy was very good and the power was definitely there. No more accurate than my light target loads though so I won't be using them on anything like a regular basis.
    I agree about there not being a need to beat up a good gun.
    The thing was, the full power loads gave nearly 250-300fps more speed than the standard target load without getting into high pressures in the cartridge. It had a significant increase in power. That can be useful in the right circumstances.
    Normally, if I need significantly more power, I will go with a more powerful cartridge and gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast