Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Anyone own a Henry Brass Frame 45-70? Opinions please.

Anyone own a Henry Brass Frame 45-70? Opinions please.

Im considering buying one for a family member this Christmas, I was wondering if there are pros and cons? I know they dont have a loading gate but whatever.

Boolit Grand Master

Henry claims that the brass they use is the same tensile strength as the steel is on their web site. I would think there is a coating on it to retard dulling and corrosion also but would be leary of BP loads in it do to the risk

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Henry claims that the brass they use is the same tensile strength as the steel is on their web site. I would think there is a coating on it to retard dulling and corrosion also but would be leary of BP loads in it do to the risk
    They may claim that but I'm looking at it practically. There's no way brass can have the same strength as steel. I'd definitely shoot lighter loads.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I can't say anything about the 45-70
    BUT...
    When I was ready to buy a 41 Mag Henry, I looked at the Brass one and the Steel.
    The brass rifle felt far heavier, but it sure was pretty. Since I bought it for shooting and possibly critter control, I bought the Steel one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I don't believe Henry makes the Original design Winchester/Henry in 45-70, just 45 Colt and 44-40. Are you talking about the Big Boy brass rifle?

Boolit Master
    Big Boy Brass 45-70 will handle Marlin level loads. The big brass gun because of heft does absorb recoil way better. But honestly I do not enjoy those heavy loads anymore they are punishing on both ends. But the brass is every bit as strong as the steel frame.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 10-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Yes I am talking about teh Big boy lever gun. A store 45 minutes away from me has had one on display for years. They are quite rare where I am. So I thought it would be a unique rifle to own.
    As for the loads I dont think they would make weak actions like in the 19th century even if it is brass. There are a few videos of people shooting hot loads.