Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sheep shears

Boolit Master

Sheep shears

I know this post has nothing to do with guns but since there is a wide range of knowledge on this site I thought someone might be able to answer my question. I bought these shears in a yard sale recently and couldn't help but think that anyone using them must have some kind of powerful grip. My question is this. As you can see in the second picture the blades seem to be way out of alignment. They were made in England and they are tempered very well. The only way I can think of to realign them would be to heat them with a torch which would in all probability destroy the temper. Anyone have any ideas?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    SHAZAM, I just figured it out. If you push the blade on the left down under the right one the shears work just fine. I should know better than to under estimate the British. They knew what they were doing when they made these shears.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

They are made to be that way - As the blades are closed together, Cross the back edge of one over the other and squeeze them closed the rest of the way. Opposing tension of the crossed over blades keeps the cutting action proper between the two blades. Not a very good job of explaining this - but your blades are not misaligned. Lot's of sheep shearing going on here in Vermont.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Yep - You figured it out while i was typing.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

That close fit between the top blade and bottom blade make the shearing action for the blades to cut cleanly. any clearance there and the wool binds them up and dosnt cut. The side spring maintains the zero clearance cutting. Run them a few days shearing herds of sheep and they work very easy as your hand strength goes up. LOL

Boolit Master

Haven't used any in over 40 years. Hope I don't again either. LOL

Boolit Master
    Nifty deals, I have a couple laying around and am glad I dont have to use them now! Just read an article in Backwoodsman about a guy that made a cabbage knife out of one since they are pretty good steel.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    I'll bet when you guys did use them you had a powerful grip. It is easy to see, they would make two very good kitchen knives.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Just a side note on sheep shears - a few years ago I bought a really attractive stag handle with a buffalo horn cap knife from a guy at a few market here in AZ. He was from Texas and did forging. The blade on the knife was one side of a sheep shear - the shank of the blade cut about four inches and secured in a hole in the stag handle. The knife blade is concave some but I'll tell you, it is one sharp knife and works well for slicing roasts, etc. He told me that he buys the old sheep shears and actually makes sets of steak knives, meat slicing knives, etc. out of them. A bit unusual and like I said, a very good and sharp knife!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We used to hire a couple Amish guys to shear ours. Electric clippers, and man, could those guys de-fuzz a sheep fast!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!