Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I want a current 1885 high wall trapper?

Boolit Master

Why do I want a current 1885 high wall trapper?

My favorite single shot is the browning high wall design..

Winchester had made some by Miroku not too long ago. Most have been sold but the 16” trappers. I didn’t really want one that small and prefer the version with the pistol grip stock and action tang. These are straight grip but they have neat ladder sights.

I keep thinking I want one in .30-40 or maybe even .38-55. Not sure how good the short barrel on the .30-40 would work.

Your thoughts? Advice.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy
    Wouldn't be the end of the world to own one, I think they're pretty sporty. But, short. If anything you have an excellent platform to build whatever you want down the road.

Boolit Master

That has crossed my mind too but at $900 that’s an expensive kit.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Trapper in 38-55 and it is my most favored rifle for recreational shooting...shoots great to about 300 yards, and is clay-target accurate at 100 all day long! Short, handy, and easy to load for. I have about 2,500 rounds through mine and it is just a pleasure to handle. I bought a 2012 shot show special Sporting Winchester in 38-55 to have a long target model, and my trapper ended up shooting just as good or better! Highly recommended...one important note: at 5'8", it fits me perfectly...taller people have to cram it into their body as the length of pull is pretty short....I could go on, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    My favorite single shot is the browning high wall design..

Winchester had made some by Miroku not too long ago. Most have been sold but the 16” trappers. I didn’t really want one that small and prefer the version with the pistol grip stock and action tang. These are straight grip but they have neat ladder sights.

I keep thinking I want one in .30-40 or maybe even .38-55. Not sure how good the short barrel on the .30-40 would work.

Your thoughts? Advice.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Well I got the short thing going for me for once.

Taco, do you know your .38-55 groove diameter? My Taylor Arms Uberti .38-55 has a .382+ groove diameter. It’s a heavy pig though, I don’t see me going up the mountainside with it.

Not a fan of short barrels on a single shot, especially with iron sights and the rear sight on the barrel. Makes for a very short sighting radius, and not conducive to great accuracy, even if the gun is very accurate.
    I wouldn't saddle myself with such a handicap.

Boolit Master

My Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag is the bomb!!
    It is fun to shoot and easy to carry
    I do have it scoped
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

The.30-40 is a sweet set up for cast bullets.

Boolit Bub
    I bought one in 30-40 and one in 45-70 when CDNN had them for $799. The 45-70 is pretty harsh recoil wise with the steel butt plate, but it is an accurate rifle. The 30-40 is a pleasure to shoot and is a great cast bullet rifle. I mounted an old Redfield 2 3/4X20 Wideview scope on mine and it is very accurate. I've taken deer with the 30-40 and it did a nice job. I've been kicking myself for not getting a 38-55 before they raised the price a hundred dollars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	228751
    Last edited by daved63; 10-12-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add photo

I would like one and I would call it Stubby. 30-40 would be fine.

So question ... are those ultra short "trapper" models with or without the top wrist tang to mount a peep on?

Boolit Master

Yes they have a tang.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Thanks old red.

Boolit Master
    Seems like the stubby barrel would be perfect for fast powders and cast bullets. I wouldn't like loosing the sight radius but it wouldn't be much worse than an AR and I shoot those fine. I like single shots, have a few but only modern one is a first year Ruger #1.

I'm pretty fond of the 38-55 but the price seems a little high to me as far as the bang for the buck thing goes but I've sure more for less. If one landed in my lap, I'd sure keep it and shoot it but I don't think I'd go out and pay $900 for one myself.

I have to say that those Miroku 1885's are a very well built, strong rifle that are nicely finished. They shoot excellently [ had 4 of them and still have a Browning in 38-55 ]. You will like the fit n finish for sure. WORTH 900.00 dollars ... absolutely! These are as good and in my estimate ... better than ... the Ruger # 1.

As for short rifles ... i like short barreled rifles a lot. Handy in brush, easy in n out of the vehicle, swings very fast and looks great with a scope sight or wrist mounted or action mounted peep sight.

I have several short barreled rifles and like you ... have been sorely tempted to make a stab at landing one of these snazzy short barreled '85's in my personal fav ... the 38-55. Should be a super great carbine with a scope mounted ... the only thing i would change is the caliber. I am really entranced with the .380 inch boolits. THEY are THE original cal for this round.

Nothing wrong with the current .375 tho. Many good boolits for it and they are tried n true performers.

Boolit Bub
    One thing I had problems with on my 30-40 Trapper was mounting the scope. Finding the rear base that mounts to the action was no problem, but no one makes a front base for the tapered round barrel. I ended up buying a tall weaver base and using my mill to fit it to the barrel.

Boolit Master

That’s good to know about the mounts.

Boolit Master

I absolutely love my Uberti 85 and it has a 30” barrel and a Tang sight. Got a good deal on it and it’s in one of my favorite calibers, 30-30.

Boolit Master

I have a tang sight on the way for my Taylor arms Uberti highwall in .38-55, hopefully that helps my target! I am pretty bad with buckhorns.

i have all three calibers in the carbines, 30-40,38-55,4570 all with the same serial number with a different prefix to denote the calibers. i have not fired them yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast