Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: WC872 and the 9.3x74R

Boolit Bub

WC872 and the 9.3x74R

I finally ordered a NOE 9.3mm mould for my 9.3x74R Ruger No. 1. I got the 368-285-FN, gas checked, four cavity mould when they had a 20% off sale over the Labor Day weekend. It casts a nice looking boolit and the mould performed well, dropping all four boolits easily. I had to open up an old H&I sizing die to .3675, (I was trying for .368 but the sized boolits measure .3675). I didn't have any 9.3mm gas checks and NOE was out of stock on them, so I put a little extra taper on the mouth of the H&I die to accept a .375 check since I have a good supply of them. I might try some 9.3mm checks if I run across some. The complete boolit cast from water quenched wheel weights, with the gas check and lubed with RCBS 50/50, weighed 290 grains.

The load consisted of 69.7 grains of surplus WC872 dropped straight from an RCBS Uniflow measure into the case. It filled the case so that it was lightly compressed when I seated the boolit. I could have gotten more powder in the case if I had used a drop tube but I wanted to drop it straight from the measure. I used Remington large rifle magnum primers to light the powder. I flared the cases with a Lee universal expanding die which is almost too short to work with the long 9.3x74R cases. I could only thread it into the press a thread or two in order to get the flare I needed. I'll have to make a stem for the 9.3mm to put in my 375 Lyman M die at some point.

Velocity averaged 1871 fps, which was actually a little better than I was expecting from the WC872. It left a tiny bit of unburned powder in the barrel but was much less than when used in a 30-06 with cast boolits. I have had good luck with this powder with cast boolits accuracy wise. The first 100 yard group shot was 3/4" and the largest group of the three groups shot was just over 1". All three groups had two shots touching or almost touching, I think I might be able to shrink them further when I figure out how the rifle likes to be rested on the bench. It started raining and cut my shooting session short. There was no trace of any leading in the barrel after shooting these nine shots.

The best part of this load is the cost. I got the wheel weights free, the powder was $49 for eight pounds, the gas checks were $14.99 when Wideners closed out all their reloading components, and the primers were $15 from a discount table at a local gun shop. Even with shipping the powder and checks factored in these loads are costing less than $2.00 a box. I loaded two boxes and plan on loading quite a few more.

I bought the WC872 from Wideners back before they quit selling powder. I notice Pat's Reloading still has it listed for $48 for eight pounds. I use full case loads of this powder in a wide variety of rifles for cast boolits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	228673

You in prairie dog country?

Boolit Master
    Congrats! I love my Valmet O/U in 9.3x74r. Haven't got a mold for it yet but I'm pushing 325gr JSP at about 2100fps. Your rifle can do as much (or as little) as you want, including cat sneeze. My lightest was a commercial cast 158gr SWC (plain base) over 11.0 gr Unique.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Last edited by NuJudge; 10-28-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Boolit Master

daved63,

Just curious about the WC-872 you are using. I have used bunches of it also, and I get corrosion (may not be the correct word to use) on drum after I have thrown 75-100 charges. The drum actually gets difficult to turn as there is noticeable resistance when turning the handle. My jug is from McDonald but has not lot number on it…

I have to remove the drum and use very fine steel wool to remove the corrosion and then I put some graphite on it. Put the Uniflow back together and it works smoothly. If the corrosion is leaving damage to the drum, it is not visible to the naked eye. The steel in the drum must be very hard…

Have you ever noticed this?...

Good-luck…BCB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    daved63,

Just curious about the WC-872 you are using. I have used bunches of it also, and I get corrosion (may not be the correct word to use) on drum after I have thrown 75-100 charges. The drum actually gets difficult to turn as there is noticeable resistance when turning the handle. My jug is from McDonald but has not lot number on it…

I have to remove the drum and use very fine steel wool to remove the corrosion and then I put some graphite on it. Put the Uniflow back together and it works smoothly. If the corrosion is leaving damage to the drum, it is not visible to the naked eye. The steel in the drum must be very hard…

Have you ever noticed this?...

Good-luck…BCB
    When you take it apart, wipe the parts down with a dryer sheet. Should take care of the problem. I have not noticed any problems with WC872 in my measure.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!