Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap & Ball Revolver vs. Modern Handgun Qualification Course

Boolit Buddy

Cap & Ball Revolver vs. Modern Handgun Qualification Course

Hi all! Attached below is a link to my latest video. In this one, I'm standing the concept of the modern defensive handgun on its head as I take on the current Ohio Peace Officer's handgun qualification course with my Pietta/Remington New Army Cap&Ball revolver. To see how it goes, follow the link. Also, as always, be sure to let me know what you think after you watch the video!

HRF

Boolit Master
    it confirms what I always said if a person is coming after you with a cap & ball pistol you are in trouble. your speed loader was a common answer for the need of more shots. some carried as many as six guns on horse back.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    it confirms what I always said if a person is coming after you with a cap & ball pistol you are in trouble. your speed loader was a common answer for the need of more shots. some carried as many as six guns on horse back.
    Thank you!

HRF

Boolit Master
    Not surprised; though I did not use a cap and ball; back when we all used wheelguns, I always shot single action rather than double action for better accuracy when shooting for qualification with the local sheriff's office. And, I always had plenty of time.

In Remembrance

What was the distance between shooter and target?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    What was the distance between shooter and target?
    It changes with each stage. If you watch the video, I mention the distance for the stage I'm firing.

HRF

Boolit Grand Master

From 4 to 50 ft. Great video by the way! I do like your speed loader
    Charter Member #148

USMC 77, USRA 79

I loved your creative thinking for speedloading... it would be nice to have twins.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    From 4 to 50 ft. Great video by the way! I do like your speed loader
    Thank you!

HRF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I loved your creative thinking for speedloading... it would be nice to have twins.

Maybe I'll have to get a "Lone Ranger" double-gun rig!

HRF

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some years ago I did the same thing firing a Ruger Old Army and carrying extra loaded cylinders in speed loader pouches and doing the Clint Eastwood "Pale Rider" reload. I also have the Kirst Kartridge Converter for my ROA and can interchangibly use either my cap & ball or the Kirst cartridge cylinder which works with either .455 Webley or .45 ACP. My revolver was accurized by the late Jerry Kieffer of Richmond, VA, has Hamilton Bowen "Rough Country" sights fitted, a custom base pin with oversized knob, knurled wingnut on the base pin release screw and a Webley-style lanyard loop in the butt. Extremely accurate and reliable field gun which has killed truckloads of deer in the last 25 years.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Some years ago I did the same thing firing a Ruger Old Army and carrying extra loaded cylinders in speed loader pouches and doing the Clint Eastwood "Pale Rider" reload. I also have the Kirst Kartridge Converter for my ROA and can interchangibly use either my cap & ball or the Kirst cartridge cylinder which works with either .455 Webley or .45 ACP. My revolver was accurized by the late Jerry Kieffer of Richmond, VA, has Hamilton Bowen "Rough Country" sights fitted, a custom base pin with oversized knob, knurled wingnut on the base pin release screw and a Webley-style lanyard loop in the butt. Extremely accurate and reliable field gun which has killed truckloads of deer in the last 25 years.
    I always kind of wanted an Old Army. Unfortunately, the lasty one I saw for sale a few months ago left me with sticker shock so bad I'm still shaking!

HRF

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    I always kind of wanted an Old Army. Unfortunately, the lasty one I saw for sale a few months ago left me with sticker shock so bad I'm still shaking!

HRF
    Less than an Ed Brown M1911. You should get one.

If ever reduced to ONE handgun, ROA with Kirst Konverter and three cap & ball cylinders would be the one I keep. Knowing what they were proofed with at the factory, and having fitted one up there to measure pressures, I have a bit of flexibility in loading and am not dependent on black powder. The specifics are not for publication. Suffice to say 900 fps with Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. and 4-6" six-shot 100-yard groups from Ransom rest is possible and equals full charge .45 Colt.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-11-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Less than an Ed Brown M1911. You should get one.

If ever reduced to ONE handgun, ROA with Kirst Konverter and three cap & ball cylinders would be the one I keep. Knowing what they were proofed with at the factory, and having fitted one up there to measure pressures, I have a bit of flexibility in loading and am not dependent on black powder. The specifics are not for publication. Suffice to say 900 fps with Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. and 4-6" six-shot 100-yard groups from Ransom rest is possible and equals full charge .45 Colt.
    That is extremely cool!

HRF

Hrfunk,
    How many grains and of which powder were you shooting with?

If you were more familiar with your new Sheriff model, do you think that you would
    be able to score as well as you did compared to the 8 inch version at all distances?

Its shorter sighting plane should help you to aim faster than the standard model
    and perhaps even save you an extra second or two to deal with potential misfires.

I appreciated seeing the Sheriff model make its entrance and it seemed to shoot accurately. Both guns did.
    And I wouldn't mind watching you repeat the course of fire with the Sheriff model someday.

Thanks a bunch for showing us how to have some fun with our own C&B revolvers.
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-11-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I was using 30 grains of FFFG under a .451" round ball. I had a "wonder wad" between the powder and the balls. As far as the Sheriff Model is concerned, I really like it so far, but at this point I have fired a grad total of six shots from it. I loaded it up for the video and fired 3 shots to verify it's functioning and point of impact, and the other three shots you saw me fire in the reloading stage. I'm going to do a full review on that model in the near future and I'll shoot it a lot more for that. Then I'll be able to give you a better evaluation of it. So stay tuned!

HRF

Boolit Master

Very good video, I enjoyed it!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy

Good Shooting! I'd give you a "GO" on the speed loader.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellas! I appreciate it!

HRF

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Fun video, and good shooting. I'd like to see Jerry Michelek do the exercise!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast