Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freechex - who makes them now?

Boolit Master

Freechex - who makes them now?

Who manufactures a Freechex type gas check maker.
    I am looking for one in 9.3 mm (0.366" or 0.367")
    I am almost tempted to build on but have no idea of how to cut that thin slot the stock material slides through

Charles D. does not seem to be around any more.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Contact dimaprok, he made me a .30 GC maker and it works dang good.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I second Dima. He made me a 6.5 and .270 cal gas check maker. I have a 9mm plain base on order now through him. He does great work custom made for the bullets you send him. He is small scale though. He wont send it out till he is satisfied it works and the gas checks fit correctly. So there maybe a bit of leed time if her gets backed up with orders or life. I dont mind i am patient.

Pat Marlin is on here as well. He manufacturers alot and may have a bunch on hand. He is more large scale production. I havent had the pleasure of doing buisness with him, but hear nothing but good things of him and his products. He has a website if you want to browse what he has and can make. He will occasionally post overstock and one offs for cheap to us.

Price points are the same. Take your pick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Thank you for your replies It helps

Boolit Buddy
    G,day
    Pretty sure Charles is still around ,I was in contact with him a couple of weeks ago via Email.

Cheers Hahndorf 1874.

Boolit Master
    Unique Tek has gas check makers as well now
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

Charlie is back making them the last I knew a few months ago. He doesn't post a lot but he is on the forum regularly.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Thanks guys for the kind words, I strive for the best but at the moment I not taking anymore orders. I just don't have time to do it. I haven't tried myself Freechex but reading some old posts on the subject I think it makes sense that freechex has advantage in terms of that checks fall out from the bottom and the mass of the arbor press dampens the jolt when aluminum sheet is cut. The con is that you have to buy arbor press which was for me personally was turn off when I was looking around but now when I look at it in the retrospective not only it has other uses but you are not wearing out your press as much either. Me on the other hand after seeing Dragonheart invention I am taking a step farther and automating the whole thing! Soon I'll be swimming in gas checks

Oh yeah regarding how to make slit. It's most complicated part and I had to buy a mini mill, I bought a 2" slitting saw on ebay (china) it's really cheap around 2-3 dollars and made my own mandrell and luckily my mini mill has DRO so I set zero as it touches and cut .600 pass from .750 body giving me .025 edge overlap and it's plenty, can do even less, I just make my punch / body fit to be as close as possible no more than .001" and that results in very clean cuts. I encourage you try making your own if you have lathe. Another source of slitting saws is harbor freight they have replacement saws 3 for $10 but they are little thinner than I like but still works. First slot I made I used my mini lathe to hold saw and tool holder to hold body. I rigged up metal bar with threaded end that pass through and held with a long nut and advanced cross slide to cut. As I said this was most difficult part if you don't have milling machine. I also considered metal bandsaw , not sure how clean of a cut it would leave, it would have to be clamped, forget doing it free hand, it will come out rough and uneven. It also makes a big difference what metal you use for the body. A crappy mild steel will leave burrs but something like 12L14 or 1044 stressproof will leave a very clean cut. It took me a while to figure out what works and what doesn't.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1662343300006096039.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	228746

Boolit Master
    22lrreloader.com has started making single stroke gas check dies. Only 4 calibers at this time with more to come.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Pat Marlins has huge assortment of sizes including gas checks for plain base that you can punch out of thin aluminum can stock. Good tool well made. The only negative if you want to call it that is it is a two step process. You cut your disks, then adjust die set up to form the disks into checks as a second operation. Not all that different than two die reloading on a single stage press. Isn't a deal breaker for me. Little more handling but less "work" on each stroke.

Uniquetek has a single stroke check maker but only a few calibers. They are going to be adding .30 caliber and .45 colt soon. I needed 303, 8mm (.32), and .223 so they don't line up with my needs but may for others. It appears that www.uniquetek.com and 22lrreloader.com are selling the same product.

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1673
    and
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...-gas-check-die
    These are all reloading press tools not arbor press tools as the Free Chex was.

Given the OP's need for a specific 9.3mm size I'm thinking Pat Marlin is his best option if dimaprok is not in the business of making them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Get the single stroke ones if you can...ive had both...sold my PM after using the single stroke

Boolit Master
    I just screw a bolt into my Lee classic cast press and have the chex drop into the primer collection tube that comes with the press.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    10x, if you do make your own, you can just use a hacksaw to cut your slot. I've been experimenting with a couple different designs, and my first one the slot was cut kind of ragged looking,and not quite square, but that actually helps reduce the power it takes to punch the disc. I think it would be an advantage if all checkmakers had the slot cut about 1 degree off, to give the punch more of a shearing action, rather than making full contact all at once. The next one I ground the waviness {toothset} off the sides of a good quality hacksaw blade and used it to cut my next one, It cuts a bit slower but made a nice looking thin slot, worked much better than trying to cut the slot with the *** china slitting saw I tried.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    10x, if you do make your own, you can just use a hacksaw to cut your slot. I've been experimenting with a couple different designs, and my first one the slot was cut kind of ragged looking,and not quite square, but that actually helps reduce the power it takes to punch the disc. I think it would be an advantage if all checkmakers had the slot cut about 1 degree off, to give the punch more of a shearing action, rather than making full contact all at once. The next one I ground the waviness {toothset} off the sides of a good quality hacksaw blade and used it to cut my next one, It cuts a bit slower but made a nice looking thin slot, worked much better than trying to cut the slot with the *** china slitting saw I tried.
    Thank you,
    I do believe I will attempt to build one. The only real challenge is cutting the slot.

I used a dremel to make my slot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    I used a dremel to make my slot.
    I have a slitting saw on a mandrel thanks to Princess Auto. It fits a Dremel

Boolit Buddy
    Good luck on the slitting saw as it was the toughest part of the GC I made with the help of a couple of messages with Dimaprok. I am sure you will be as happy with the outcome as I am. I made mine as a test run for my 357 even though they really aren't required. Now that the proof of concept and ability to create them are done my 8mm and 30.06 are next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I have a slitting saw on a mandrel thanks to Princess Auto. It fits a Dremel
    I bought them too and threw them out and went with the dremel abrasive wheels

Start of my 6.5 check maker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv3YpSR.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	232671

Boolit Master

Yeah buddy!! **** I wish i had your guys tools and skill. Lol being an electrician by trade doesnt help this hobby any.

I was looking at a mini hobby lathe to make some reloading tools with. I cant justify the price to my wife. She is all ready mad about my plans for customizing all our guns.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast