MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small hands.. Bisley grip..?

Boolit Master

To me, the Bisley / SAA grip choice is an identical puzzle to that of the 1911 - 1911-A1 flat/arched mainspring housing.

It's not just a size and reach issue, but one of grip angle. To me, Bisley's and 1911's naturally point low, while Peacemakers and 1911-A1's are just about perfect. The short version is you won't have your answer until you wrap your fist around both.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been shooting handguns since I was 13 yrs old, [I am 66 now] and the jury is still out on which one is better for me. My bisley grips are caressed by JRH to fit my hand and they fill good. I also shoot regular plow handles but, really don't see any accuracy difference. I am a Ruger single action fan but don't like the standard grips that come factory. I am not a large guy at 5'8" and 200 lbs so I guess my hands would be small to medium. Instead of a plow handle I use Hogue finger grips. The bisleys with JRH walnut grips fitted to my hand fill great but that doesn't make me shoot any better. With the Hogue grips it seems I have to hold with my wrist tilted down slightly. [ it is not uncomfortable] I also have a FA83 454 and a BFR 475L that have their standard grip frames but have grips fitted by JRH. I love them all. Try all the styles you can and see what works for you. Good luck and good shooting!

Boolit Man
    Jmort.. You lucky dog..lol. I tried getting one of those Turnbulls after they had sold out. Beautiful Blackhawk..

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    Jmort.. You lucky dog..lol. I tried getting one of those Turnbulls after they had sold out. Beautiful Blackhawk..
    I think they are still available at gallery of guns, and on gun broker.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned

I believe there are a few still out there. Hope you can find one. They are nice. For me every single action is a project from purchase to tuning to Doug for the cylinders. I have a huge backlog of cylinders for him. The only gun that I never paid to have tuned was a Freedom Arms 97. That is one tight gun. The tolerances are crazy good. I have large sized hands with shorter fingers. So one more time, get some GunFighter grips if your trigger finger is not where it should be on the trigger.

Boolit Master

I love my Bisley with the 5.5" barrel, but I have large hands. I also have the regular Peacemaker and I think it would fit smaller hands better. The Bisley grip is designed to mitigate recoil by rolling somewhat under recoil rather than pushing back into the hand. It is a different feel. Definitely try to handle one first.

Attachment 228820

I added aftermarket grips to mine and they are a little wider and fit my hand better. They also make my Bisley a sexy, sexy single action...

Attachment 228821
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

The Bisley grip was designed for target shooting, i.e. accuracy. Had nothing to do with recoil. As for recoil, there is no consensus on it being the best for recoil.

"The revolver takes its name from a grip frame designed by Colt's Manufacturing Company that was popular at shooting matches held at Bisley." (England)

True... but the Ruger Bisley grip everyone is talking about has little to do with the Colt Bisley grip you're talking about. They don't feel similar at all to me.

What I've found is people with smaller hands who complain the Ruger Bisley is too big for them, tend to try to hold the grip way down at the bottom. Their hand flush with the bottom of the grip, then the trigger reach is too long for them. Why they don't choke up on the grip I don't know, but they don't. I made a couple converts that way, having them try mine in such fashion.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The Bisley grip was designed for target shooting, i.e. accuracy. Had nothing to do with recoil. As for recoil, there is no consensus on it being the best for recoil.

"The revolver takes its name from a grip frame designed by Colt's Manufacturing Company that was popular at shooting matches held at Bisley." (England)
    Well I heard it in a gun shop, so it must be true...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I finally put one in my hands yesterday and I do have to say I am sold on the Bisley grip now. Actually feels good in my hand unlike a standard Blackhawk grip.

Banned

ive got large hands and love the bisley. ill say this. When my son was young (around 14 or so) I had him out shooting one day and had a 7.5 super Blackhawk a 4 5/8s Blackhawk and a 5.5 in bisley accusport all in 44 mag. he was shooting the same load (about a factory equivalent 44 mag load) out of all three. After about an hour he told me that I had to leave him the bisley because it was much more comfortable to shoot. I lost a nice 44 mag that day If you want another comparison. I was at a Linebaugh seminar one year and it just so happened that John had my 4 inch bisley vaquero 500 done. He also delivered another guy a 4 inch vaquero with a Blackhawk grip frame. Using anything but a bisley grip frame is rare for John. We both shot each others guns and he left his with John and some more money to swap it out for a bisley. Now I wont mention names but he was pretty well known in the cast bullet community and had even more of a tolerance for recoil then I do. It was his tc encore in 458 lott that had me at the doctor getting my finger stitched.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-20-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12