Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small hands.. Bisley grip..?

Boolit Man

Small hands.. Bisley grip..?

Hey fellas..

This is for the "small hand" guys who have shot the Ruger 45 Colt with Bisley grips. None of my local shops have anything at all with a Bisley so that i can personally handle one, and neither do i know anyone who has one i can try either. I am considering getting a new stainless Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel, but it only comes with the Bisley grip. My weight is usually between 168 to 170 lbs, so Im just guessing my hands would be considered on the small side...lol. Ive read all the post on the difference between the plow handle & the bisley, and i know everyone says its usually a love or hate type thing. So I just want to hear from the small hand guys, so it gives me a better idea.

Thanks guys,
    Blacky

Boolit Master

Hi, I like the Bisley best for my heavy kicking handguns, I have small hands also . But If I was you I would try to find and shoot a few before you buy.

I get along with both of them. I would say that I have medium to large hands. The bisley,to me, really shines with heavy recoiling loads or guns with long barrels. With these guns the bisley gives you a better purchase, and takes some of the strain off of your wrist. The plow handle grip, to me, is a more natural pointing hold, especially the colt saa sized grip. Fast from the holster and fast on target.

I think that most people have medium hands, and that is what gun manufacturers design their products. Either will fit most people’s hands fairly well. It is the people that have either huge hands or very small hands that will have the most problems. That being said, you can fine tune the grip size with custom grips. If your hands feel too small for a particular grip, a slimmer set of grips may be in order. If the grips feel too small, like a pencil, you can get grips with a palm swell built in to better fit your hand. Guns and gun grips are definately a personal choice. What works for me might not work for you.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned

I put Eagle GunFighter grips on all my single actions. For me they make the difference as they are slimmer and mke the grip fit. I started using them many years ago when I bought an Old/Original full size Vaquero. I was going to sell it as it was slightly too big for me to get a proper grip. Eagle grips made it perfect.
    https://www.eaglegrips.com/gunfighte...ter-grips.html

Boolit Master
    You won’t go wrong with the Bisley - I often think it is Ruger’s best kept secret. I got a regular .41 4 5/8” Blackhawk 50 years ago, and a Bisley 7 1/2” Blackhawk 27 years ago also .41 Mag. Now I just have old hands, can’t say small or large, and the pain threshold with full-house loads is quite different between the two guns.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Man
    I actually dont have any problem with the grips on my original Vaqueros, but they are custom buffalo horn from Eagle. The only reason im having this problem is because Ruger doesnt make a STAINLESS 4.5" or 5.5" Blackhawk, except for one with a Bisley grip. And even that one is a distributer exclusive.

Blacky

That gun you are talking about is on Bud’s guns. I think the cash price is $615. It is a beauty, and imho about the best deer hunting handgun around. If I wasn’t awaiting back surgery, I would be scooping that one up. They also have a .41mag that is a twin to it. If I had a money tree in the backyard, they would both be headed my way.

Vendor Sponsor

Another measurement that is unique to the Bisley grip frame, the distance between the back of the trigger guard and the front strap of the grip frame is the shortest of all the Ruger single actions. It is also the shortest measurement from the rear strap, to the trigger, as you can see in the comparison of the various Ruger grip frames:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Since I avoid playing pattycake with strangers, I have no frame of reference as to the size of my hands, but I would guess average-minus.

My issue with the standard Ruger Blackhawk is the excessive (for me) distance between the hammer spur and my thumb. For those who share this problem I have found alternatives to the Bisley. A relatively lower SUPER Blackhawk hammer can be installed on the standard Blackhawk without modification. The Blackhawk Bisley hammer, which is even lower, may also be installed, but this requires a relatively simple modification to the grip frame.

I use the aforementioned slim gunfighter grips on my Bisleys. I like their uniform thickness, in that I find revolver grips which flare into a trumpet shape at the base promote the grip slipping downward during recoil.

Boolit Master
    As an instructor,, I fully understand your issue. I always tell every student or anybody,, get the grip that fits YOUR hands.

That said,, I will say this. Do not buy anything without trying it first. It can be an expensive lesson. Try gun shows, local gun ranges, a shout out to members here or other gun forums to see if you can find someone with a Bisley you can handle. I don't know where you are,, but if you are anywhere close to WNC,, I'll GLADLY let you shoot mine.

Boolit Man
    I am in Delaware right in the middle of the Delmarva Peninsula. About 6 miles from the ocean. Although next month Thanksgiving week i will be traveling to see family in Lawrenceville Ga, and Monroe NC.. Anybody close to those spots with a Bisley..lol. I wont order a bisley until ive held one, but so far the Williams Sports Blackhawk comes closet to what i want.

Blacky

I live in Delaware. In the suburbs of wilmington, near the old gm plant. If you are up this way, I would be glad to let you handle mine.

Boolit Man
    I just may have to take you up on that my friend, if i cant locate one down here. Im in Selbyville, almost right on De/Md state line..

Yeah you are way down there. I used to live in Bishopville when I worked on charter boats out of OC

If I am not mistaken, there is or was a decent sized new gun shop on the road that you take to Assateague island. I can’t remember the name

Boolit Man
    That would be Larrys Trading Post... Nice shop, but like most shops not much cowboy type stuff. Any type of 1911, Glock, S&W, Sig...etc. Very little single action...lol

I believe it. Same problem up here. Glocks everywhere, revolvers not a chance.

Banned

I have both. Prefer plow handle. Like the Bisley, but not more than the regular grip. I have
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger+SB+0407+copy.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	601.7 KB 
ID:	228691

Boolit Buddy
    Come west young man...to KC, MO... and I'll let you shoot my Bisley 'till your heart's content.��

Boolit Master
    Monroe NC is about 1-1/2 hours from my range. Thanksgiving week,, is not bad,, except I leave the Saturday after for an elk hunting trip. But,, if you are here before that,, I have a few you could try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast