MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullets for reduced loads in 30 30 and 22 Hornet...

Boolit Master

I don't have the 311008. My guess is accuracy will go south before leading occurs, but that is bore, alloy, mold, sizing, and lube dependent. If you get leading, try doing the trick of putting a coat of LLA over top of the conventional lube.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Thought I'd try some Green Dot loads. 8.5 grains yielded 1578 fps with the 115 grain Lyman 311008. 9 grains gave me 1632 fps, and 9.5 grains bumped it up to 1690 fps. This was at 32 degrees F. Just ran a patch through the bore with some Shooter's Choice and I don't see any lead in there.
    Last edited by ElCheapo; 02-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Master

How was accuracy?
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    How was accuracy?
    Same as with Red Dot. I used the same seating depth.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
    Thought I'd try some Green Dot loads. 8.5 grains yielded 1578 fps with the 115 grain Lyman 311008. 9 grains gave me 1632 fps, and 9.5 grains bumped it up to 1690 fps. This was at 32 degrees F. Just ran a patch through the bore with some Shooter's Choice and I don't see any lead in there.
    It sounds to me like you have your small game load figured out. The .30-30 is good in this regard.

Deer loads with cast in the .30-30 aren't hard either, but you'll want a heavier bullet and slower powder.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    It sounds to me like you have your small game load figured out. The .30-30 is good in this regard.

Deer loads with cast in the .30-30 aren't hard either, but you'll want a heavier bullet and slower powder.
    I do have a good heavy load worked up with the Lyman 311041, but I've been thinking the last couple of days. I honestly don't feel I need to push the 311008 so fast. 7 grains of Red Dot gives me 1400 or so fps and this load flies flat to 100 yards. It should be plenty potent enough to kill varmints and turkeys. I think I'll stick with it for a while and try it out on some critters. If I need more ooomph than that I'll use the 311041's.

It's been a while, so I thought I'd give an update. I tried the 311008 out on some groundhogs and performance was great, with complete penetration and instant death. In the end however, I got tired of re-zeroing my rifle every time I wanted to use different bullets. I decided to stick with one load in the 30-30, namely the 311041 at 2150 fps. See here... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...30-on-last-day

For the 22 Hornet I was able to acquire a 5 cavity NOE 225107 mold. It's a 37 grain plain based flat point that looks really nice, but I haven't started load development yet. Originally I was thinking of loading it to around 1400-1500 fps for use on groundhogs around the farm. Then my hog hunting buddy in South Carolina said if I powdercoated it I could shoot it as fast as j-words. That would be awesome, but I have no experience powder coating bullets. Heck, even if I could achieve hunting accuracy at 22 magnum velocity levels with water-quenched COWW's that would be pretty darn useful. So does anybody have experience doing this with a Hornet? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    For the Hornet, NOE makes a 45 grain WFN I have had great success with using two grains of Bullseye.

Attachment 228650

The Lee 113 grain soup can works well in .30-30.

Attachment 228651
    My Ruger #3 hornet loves the same load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	821ACBCB-CE4C-4C8C-AD77-8488E0C30A96.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	278466

This is a 165 grain lead flat point boolit from Hunter Supply, with 5.5 grains of Red Dot. A little heavy for squirrels, perhaps, but minute of head for sure. About 1080 fps.

ETA: The rifle is an old Marlin lever action.
    Last edited by scattershot; 02-25-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a Lyman 311041 w/o the gascheck?

Boolit Grand Master
    Its not surprising that your 311008 worked on groundhogs at ~13-1400 fps, that is basically a .32-20 equivalent load.

Myself, for the .30-30 I started with about four grains of Green Dot under most any .32 cal handgun boolit from 95-120 grains. It did what I wanted it to so I never really did much experimenting or more load development.

Robert

Got some of the 225107's powdercoated and shot them through the Hornet today. 4.9 grains of Herco gave 2150 fps and half inch groups at 50 yards despite breezy conditions. Only fired 15 shots but didn't get any leading and cleanup was easy. Three patches and I was done. I think I'm ready for groundhogs!

Boolit Buddy
    Dont shoot any tree rats with the 2150 fs loads, you will wind up with two-piece tree rats. Ask me how I know..... NOE makes a 46gr WFN that makes a dandy small game load with 3.0 gr of red dot.

I nailed a crow the other day with the 22 mag equivalent load. A center chest hit killed it without a twitch and didn't tear it up much. Just a hole all the way through. Had a chance at a g-hog on Saturday. 100 yard shot in a pretty stiff breeze. Only came close enough to spook him down his hole.

Boolit Bub
    I have a NOE 225-46-WFN that I got for my CZ 527 .22 Hornet with a 1:16 twist barrel that shoots Sierra Hornet .223 bullets more accurately than the same bullet in .224 diameter. I tried to load with Trail Boss to get into rimfire standard velocity range, but accuracy just wasn't there. I had plans to hollow point with Forster hollow point add on to my case trimmer but never got to it. Tried them in my .222 Howa mini action HB 1:14 twist with better accuracy to 50 yds with Red Dot. Still working on it but I am currently starved for 22 caliber gas checks!

One comment is that this WFN will not feed from the magazine of either my CZ or Howa so you should be prepared to single feed this boolit!

Shot into water jugs at 25 yards with the 22 mag equivalent load. Bullet stopped in the third jug and expanded to .348 diameter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22 mag bullet.jpg  
    Last edited by ElCheapo; 04-16-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Impressive!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

Just picked up a Savage 340 in Hornet I have a NOE 22 caliber that throws a 39 gr GC I've used in my Winchester 43 should do fine!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Impressive!

Three44s
    We'll see. I'm interested what it will do to groundhogs. I could use a 50/50 mix of COWW and soft lead and get more expansion, but I'll try the straight WW alloy first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210423_162026.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	281857
    In one ear and out the other.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast