StainLess Steel MediaWidenersRepackboxGraf & Sons
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Bullets for reduced loads in 30 30 and 22 Hornet...

Boolit Mold

Bullets for reduced loads in 30 30 and 22 Hornet...

I'm itching to get my CZ Hornet and Marlin 30 30 back into action! I want to come up with some reduced power loads for small game with both guns, and I love the killing efficiency of flat pointed bullets. Can anybody recommend me some molds for plainbased, flat pointed bullets in 22 and 30 caliber? I want to get 1200 to 1400 fps with minute of squirrel's head accuracy in each gun. Thanks a bunch!

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of choices for the Hornet - I like the NOE 225107, its a 37 grain flat nose that my 218 Bee really likes.
    For the 30-30 you can't beat a 311008, its a 115 grain flat nose - either a lyman mould or go for the 6 banger from NOE to really crank them out. Put that over ~8 grains of Unique (or equivalent in other powders - I mostly use 8.2 grains of Universal Clays) and it shoots with the recoil of a .22 rimfire in my Winchester. Its my go-to chicken load in lever gun silhouette and very accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the Lee 113gr FP at 800-1100fps using Red dot for my squirrel loads in my 30/30. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

For the Hornet, NOE makes a 45 grain WFN I have had great success with using two grains of Bullseye.

Name:  Savage 219 Squirrels.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  11.2 KB

The Lee 113 grain soup can works well in .30-30.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	228651

Boolit Master
    I use the 311008 and 5 gr of clays in my 30-30. 5 gr was the first charge I run with this boolit and I never saw a reason to experiment further.
    1200 fps, quiet and accurate.

I don't have a hornet yet.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Mold
    A 45 grain WFN sounds great, but I'm not familiar with NOE as a mold maker. Could I order that mold and the Lee 113 grainer from the same place and save on shipping?

Boolit Master
    My favorite light load for my 30/30 has been the Lyman 130 gr plain base boolit and an 80% load of Trail Boss for about 1350 fps. It has been deadly on coyotes and keeps the gong ringing at 200 yards all with its iron sights. Recently I acquired one of the Mihec 130 gr convertible molds (convertible to flat point or HP) and can't wait to use it this winter on coyotes with the same Trail Boss load even though it is a gas check mold.
    I too have a 22 Hornet in a Contender carbine and I have been very happy with its pelt-saving performance with 53 gr CB's (older Lee Mold) using 9.4 gr of 4198 giving it about 1800 fps.

Boolit Master

ElCheapo;

"I'm itching to get my CZ Hornet and Marlin 30 30 back into action! I want to come up with some reduced power loads for small game with both guns, and I love the killing efficiency of flat pointed bullets. Can anybody recommend me some molds for plainbased, flat pointed bullets in 22 and 30 caliber? I want to get 1200 to 1400 fps with minute of squirrel's head accuracy in each gun."

I shoot lots of TL314-90-SWCs sized .311 out of my 30-30s over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. They run 820 fps out of a 20" barrel and hold "minute of squirrel's head" accuracy out to 50+ yards and are deadly on small game. The 311008 or the RCBS 98 gr SWC over 2.7 to 3.2 gr Bullseye are also excellent. I've found if I want that level of consistent accuracy with a 1200 - 1400 fps cast bullet a GC bullet is the best choice with the 311316 loaded over 8 gr Unique.

Your CZ 22 Hornet should have a 14" twist. I've fiddled with several 37 - 40 gr cast sans the GC and found best accuracy comes at subsonic velocities when they are loaded over Bullseye. A soft cast 225438 gave the best accuracy loaded over 1.5 gr Bullseye for 1060 fps. A FP can be swaged on that bullet during sizing/lubing with a correct top punch. The FP 225107 also gives good subsonic performance cast soft, TLd with LLA and shot "as cast" sans the GC loaded over 1.3 gr Bullseye. However, both bullets give better, more consistent accuracy with GCs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla