Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Steel shot vs Lead in old Shotguns..

USMC 77, USRA 79

Steel shot vs Lead in old Shotguns..

I am prolly gunna catch heck with this posting, but here goes..

I am been totally struggling with the whole “steel shot”thing. I have some older guns, like a vintage 11-87, and some other types including a percussion trade gun. I have lead shot, have friends that make shot. I just struggle with the whole idea of not being able to use lead for waterfowl. Of course I live very remote, and it’s not like there is anybody around here that cares or enforces that rule. But I do wanna fly straight. I have heard that steel shot is a no no from these vintage shotguns. Why is it a no no? Can I shoot steel in my old 11-87 and trade gun? Maybe even the old Winchester model 12? Is there a vintage where I need to draw the line between lead and steel? This whole federal no lead thing is bugging me. What happens when lead bullets is banned someday in the future? Are we outlaws then? Or am I just ranting and need to hang up these fine guns for waterfowl forever???

Please don’t flame me.. just wanting to fly straight, but use what I have always used... new guns are hard to come by cash wise, and my old guns are dear to me...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    You realize that there are other alternatives to lead, correct? Bismith and ITX are two I know of. Both of those can be used in older barrels.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a early 1980's 870 Remington pump. My wife will shoot nothing other than her 1920 Model 12 Winchester. We do quite a bit of duck hunting and have shot many boxes of various brands of steel shot. This has been going on for over thirty years, and I can see no effects on either barrel.

I wouldn't use it in any extremely valuable collector type gun, but based on my experience, the risk is overblown.

USMC 77, USRA 79

After doing some research today.. I did see that the 11-70 will be ok for steel shot... made within the date range that supported steel.. the Winchester will have to sit by the wayside I guess, as it’s just not there with steel.. I guess I will just have to Bite the steel.... my 870 is just fine with steel. But when I have a guest hunter, I generally hand over the 870 and I use my old stuff... I also have a fine shooting Mossberg 395kb that I can use.. I will have to setup the “select a choke” to more open more then medium, according to Mossberg forum...

But what the heck will happen with states that outlaw lead altogether???? I guess I can hope I die young (in my 60’s)
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.