Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Shot the Henry .243 some more today!

Boolit Master

Shot the Henry .243 some more today!

I got out some old handloads, using J words, 85 gr Sierra Game kings, moly coated in Federal nickel plated match brass, I usually load a hundred at a time with some 3031 stoking behind it. The wife has taken 31 deer with this load, from 35-270 yds with this load, and I have taken several as well. I folded out my benchrest, and sandbagged the Henry, without a scope at 100 yds, with a 8" bullseye. I settled the front sight into bottom of the rear, aiming at 6 oclock, The first shot hit about 2.5 inches high, dead center. I then shot 4 more for a 5 shot group, into 2 and 1/4 inches, with most of the variation in the shots, being left an right, with the bead covering up about three inches at 100 yds. I had a buddy shoot 5 and his went into 2 inches even, same elevation. With this load, you can hold dead on, out to 300 yds, and feel good about the hits. We sat some pop cans up at 120-150 yds, that had been stomped flat, and just laying our arms over the sandbags we only missed 2 out of 8, on the first shot, got them both on the second shot. This rifle and the .223 Henry single shot both shot dead on left to right, and about 2.5 inches high also with iron sights. The more I tinker with these rifles, the better I like them, I like looking at them, love the wood and fit and finish, and the handiness of these rifles, especially without scopes. I cant imagine a better walking around single shot rifle made today, that could function any smoother, and work and shoot any better than these! To be truthful, I got a great deal on both of them, and figured I could make a quick $50 on them due to the demand, but have decided to keep them!!

Good report where are the pics?

Banned

these guns are real fun, for sure! i really like how this feller added a williams rear peep and lyman front peep to his henry .223 s/s ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	229481

Banned

just got through doing the "henry h015 spring mod" thanx to megasupermagnum. the results for trigger pull is nothing short of spectacular. i pulled out both the outer and inner spring and replaced both with the single large 31# spring. if you have a henry s/s in any caliber, get the spring kit NOW, i think there's a few left at the CB classifieds.

some notes on doing the mod ....

* removing the barrel is TOO easy, just unlatch the action to drop down the barrel, and then push out the pivot pin. the pin has a detent that catches a spring loaded bearing, it pushes out with no undue effort. this is NOT required to swap out the springs!

* remove the butt pad (it's 2pc, hard spacer and foam pad) by pushing in a large phillips screwdriver into the tiny holes in the foam pad, unscrew and remove.

* removing the buttstock requires a loooong allen key. i have a complete brownells mag driver kit and the allen wrench in the long brownells handle was about 1/8" or so too short. i improvised by adding an extension, but if i didn't have the extension i'd just cut off a piece of the driver's handle to make room.

* you do not need to remove the trigger assembly or hammer in order to replace the trigger/hammer spring. just unscrew the tube that the butt stock was screwed into, and replace both the large and small springs with the 31# new spring.

* reassemble and enjoy.

these guns are very nicely built with excellent machining and fit of all parts, metal and wood. they sure ain't no H&R handi, and i've four of them. with the trigger mod, this gun is now worth the $356/shipped i paid.

what are ya waiting for? go get that henry s/s trigger mod kit!
    Last edited by rfd; 10-31-2018 at 07:53 PM.