RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebarreling a 1901 Rolling Block

What contour barrel would you guys use for a 30-40?

Boolit Master

I have a 1901 in 7mm with a poor bore. My plan is to rebarrel to 30-40, too, and I think the original RB barrel profile is about right - fat in the butt and slim further out. Barrel could be thicker at the muzzle if shortened much below the OEM length.

When I get to it, I thick I'll profile the barrel so the balance point is right ahead of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    What contour barrel would you guys use for a 30-40?
    Depends on what your use of the gun is, and what contour you like. My favorite is a #3 weight 30", in either full octagon or half octagon. Anything shorter or lighter doesn't interest me. But shorter, lighter barrels are more often chosen for hunting rifles.
    This is my original #1 Sporting Rifle with a 30" half octagon #3 weight in .40-50SS:

Boolit Master
    Been seriously thinking of getting my Swedish RB in 8mm rebarreled with a heavy style carbine barrel and done in 44 special. Don't hunt and the sherrif's range is about 20 minutes from the house. Cast bullets only and pressures are below what the Swedish RB's are listed for maximum pressures. Have 3 S&W revolvers in 44 special and have been neglecting them for far too long. Either the heavy carbine style barrel or maybe full octagon barrel with about 22" long max. The original wood on mine is pretty nice but would loose the forend if rebarreled. Decisions,decisions. Someone did post a RB I believe in 45 colt with a heavy style carbine barrel some years back and thought it looked really great. Frank

Boolit Master

Mine was a 45-70 and a few months back I put a 38-55 barrel on it. I'm getting to old for recoil.

John Taylor barreled this one for me with a 32" full round Green Mountain barrel maybe 10 years ago? It's a #3.5 weight full round. I wanted something different than the usual full octagon or half octagon. It's a .40-65 and a real tack driver!

Guess I better start looking for loads using Lyman 311284 and 311299 . any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12