Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double ball loads in steel shot wads?

Boolit Bub

Double ball loads in steel shot wads?

My next great idea is to load two .662 RB in a steel shot wad but I'm a bit worried about both the pressure and the recoil.
    That would be a 52gm payload and that's probably a fair bit too much.

Anyone played with a load like that? The reason For it is that I can shoot a .662 RB through my extra full choke on my Baikal single shot, but I doubt foster slugs would be a good idea, this probably isn't either.

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search for Dixie Tri-Ball...

Never mind, here it is:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=tri-ball

Your payload will be less than that but surprisingly not that much! Two 0.662" RB's weigh 842 grs. and three 0.600" RB's weigh 939 grs. if balls are wheelweight, and according to James Gates they should be hard so best water dropped or oven heat treated.

Also, I have a load from the internet (so we know it's safe!) for two 0.690" RB's. I have not tried it but it appears to come from a reliable source on shotgunworld.com and cross referencing to published load data for the payload shows it is reasonable. If you are interested I'll PM you load details.

I was thinking along the same lines but for me 0.600" or 0.610" was what I was looking at. Haven't got there yet. I'll be following this thread to see how you do!

You might do a search for Tri-Ball anyway to check on successes and failures and accuracy. I've wondered if a 2 ball load would pattern better, worse or similar to a Tri-Ball load.

Also of possible interest:

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_20_164_60

scroll to the bottom for 2 ball wads. I'm sure they listed ball diameter somewhere but I can't find it now.

Steel shot wads should work though but i'd put some cushion material between balls.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Hah! Faustus beat me to the Tri-Ball while I was typing.

Boolit Master

LB, I loaded quite a few .600 balls (2) in a steel shot wad with good success. Will have to get the info on the wad, I know I used a card in the bottom of the wad and the first ball fit quite snugly. Had to patch the top ball (wads are very tapered and thick) for a good fit in 3" hull. Could get both balls in a 2 - 4" spacing consistenly from rifled barrel at 75 yds. Deadly but kicked like a po'd mule. Actually killed a nice hog with that load at about 50 yds. One ball went through both shoulders and one broke femur. As usual projectiles not retreived. Even the modestly loaded home rolled stuff we put together is more than enough for any animal in this part of the world. Out of about 15 hogs and 4 deer I've killed the last few years plus several light loads I put together for a friend with MS who can't tolerate recoil not one projectile has been recovered. I finally figured out I don't have to punish myself to be lethal on the other end. Lots more fun that way.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    I took apart some Remington nitro steel shells and found two .662 balls fit in good, I was going to use a single ball but that left a lot of space, it took about 35-40mm of felt to bring them up to height.
    If I can do this then it might be a great pig and deer load.
    I am limited to a single ball for Deer where I hunt and might try some paper patched balls in a lead wad, but I like the idea of the double ball for stopping big Boars.
    I just really like the single shot Baikal for some reason and want to make it more versatile.

I did look at the tri ball loads but I wasn't sure if it would translate into a 2 ball 2 3/4" load as 3" shells are pretty rare where I am.

Boolit Master
    Longbow, I would be very interested in the 2x .690 ball loads. I have a mold for one for my 12ga muzzle loader. Following this as I have a bunch of steel wads..
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Those two ball wads are interesting, I was looking at getting a 3d printer in the future, I could print some of those for any size ball I like.
    Probably be not much more then importing steel shot wads anyway.
    And I could make all sorts of fun things with one, fins for a Lee 1oz slug for instance.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll look up the 2 ball load info tomorrow and post it. Just remember, I have not tried it so no personal experience.

I have a soft spot for the old single shots too but mine are Cooey which used to be a Canadian company that was bought out by Winchester many years ago. Shut down for many years now too. I have 4 or 5 of them and have had others over the years. They are hardly a collector item but I like them!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then... I took a quick look and found it. This is Deer Assassin's double 0.690" ball load copied from shotgunworld:

Deer Assassin Double Ball Load

I used an Oehler 43PBL with a strain gauge to test the pressures of the load that I am shooting and came up with an average pressure reading of 10,200 psi. for 10 shots. The load that I am shooting and have been shooting since 1984 and is still one of my favorite close range deer and hog busters. This load that I'm listing performs very well out of my barrel and my records show that I have, since 1984, shot 682 of these same exact loads. A lot of them were practice loads, some were recorded as deer kills and some were hogs with an ocassional coyote thrown in there...

My double .690 round ball load is as follows:

HULL: Activ 3"

PRIMER: CCI-209M

POWDER: Blue Dot - 32.0 grains

GAS SEAL: Win. AA-12 wad with the petals removed

WADS: 1 - 12ga. nitro card on top of gas seal

WADS: 1 - 1/8" wool felt wad on top of nitro card

WADS: 2 - Teflon shot sleeves wrapped inside of hull and on top of wads

SHOT: 1 - .690 lead round ball

BUFFER: fill space around and to the top of ball with Ballistic Products mix #47 buffer

WADS: 1 - 1/8" wool felt on top of buffer and round ball

SHOT: 1 - .690 lead round ball

BUFFER: fill space around and to the top of lead round ball

WADS: 1 - 16ga. overshot card on top of round ball and buffer

CRIMP: I have always prefered to crimp these Activ hulls with an 8 point crimp and then apply a couple drops finger nail polish to the center of the crimp to make sure that the buffer does not leak out...

Do NOT shoot these loads in "cheap" guns or guns that were not designed specifically for 3" magnum loads...

Like I said before, my 30" fixed full choke barrel will keep these two lead balls inside a 2 1/2" circle at 75 yards, while my father in-laws Remington 1100 with it's modified barrel will keep both balls inside a 6" circle at 75 yards and he too has killed his share of deer and hogs with this same load....

D-A

Again, I have not tried this load. Use at your own risk!This is a slightly larger powder charge and slightly lighter payload than Dixie's Tri-Ball load data so it is in the ball park but best to cross reference and verify! Or even better, use Tri-Ball data with the 2 ball load.

Not sure if two 0.662" RB's would fit in a 2 3/4" hull. I'll have to check.

If he is getting an honest 2 1/2" group at 75 yards that is very good! Even the 6" group at 75 yards is pretty darn good if true and consistent!

Longbow

32g of blue dot with a +2 ounce payload out of a single shot will get your attention.

BB

Boolit Bub
    I'm thinking that recoil might put you too sleep.

Boolit Grand Master

When I say "Or even better, use Tri-Ball data with the 2 ball load." I'm thinking two 0.662" balls not the 0.690" balls. 2 x 0.690" balls is heavier than 3 x 0.600" balls.

"32g of blue dot with a +2 ounce payload out of a single shot will get your attention.

BB"

Yes, or this:

"I'm thinking that recoil might put you too sleep."

A sleep from which you might not awake! Or without brain damage anyway!

Not sure what pressure James' Tri-Ball load generates but with an extra 3 grs. or so pressure will be even higher and that Tri-Ball load is a skookum load as is!

Let us know how it works and how many brain cells expire after you pull the trigger!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Thank gou for posting that data ,Longbow. After reading it thru, I consider that is "academic" knowledge for myself. I don't need to try it, mastadons are extinct round here, and the recoil has th be brutal!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Sure wish a load using readily available 2.75" case, two balls of .690", readily available wad, current production powder, pressure within industry specs, and a velocity of about 1100 fps, would surface. Yeah, I bought my lottery tickets too.

Boolit Man
    I use a tps 1275 wad dusted with mica from ballistic prod. inc. and it works great for my 2 ball loads. I load 1 600 ball
    in bottom, then a 20 gauge 1/2 " thick hard card, then the other 600 ball, then fold crimp. I cast the balls from stick
    on ww and water quench them to make them hard. shoot then through a imp. cyl . 870 with rifle sights. hull is cheditte 2 3/4.
    27.0 blue dot . cheditte 209.

Boolit Grand Master

Rattlesnake Charlie:

Not sure that two 0.690" RB's will fit a 2 3/4" hull but if they do... I may have some suitable load data. Greg Sappington has a 1000 gr. slug he worked up a load for and two 0.690" RB's will weight slightly less. RB's may not behave quite the same a single slug but if bore friction is low things may be pretty close.

In any case, I'll see if I can find on the back up hard drive if you are interested. I'm pretty sure he shared the load anyway. That would be the heaviest payload I'd have info on.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Longbow, I'll take you up on that data for two 0.690"RB's in a 2 3/4" hull.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me see what I can find in my records.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Do a search for Dixie Tri-Ball...

Never mind, here it is:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=tri-ball

Your payload will be less than that but surprisingly not that much! Two 0.662" RB's weigh 842 grs. and three 0.600" RB's weigh 939 grs. if balls are wheelweight, and according to James Gates they should be hard so best water dropped or oven heat treated.

Also, I have a load from the internet (so we know it's safe!) for two 0.690" RB's. I have not tried it but it appears to come from a reliable source on shotgunworld.com and cross referencing to published load data for the payload shows it is reasonable. If you are interested I'll PM you load details.

I was thinking along the same lines but for me 0.600" or 0.610" was what I was looking at. Haven't got there yet. I'll be following this thread to see how you do!

You might do a search for Tri-Ball anyway to check on successes and failures and accuracy. I've wondered if a 2 ball load would pattern better, worse or similar to a Tri-Ball load.

Also of possible interest:

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_20_164_60

scroll to the bottom for 2 ball wads. I'm sure they listed ball diameter somewhere but I can't find it now.

Steel shot wads should work though but i'd put some cushion material between balls.

Longbow
    Was anyone in North America had any luck ordering from Siarm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast