Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need some sage advice about PCPs and accessories

Boolit Buddy

Need some sage advice about PCPs and accessories

I am looking to get my first PCP rifle. Primary use will be informal target shooting, back yard plinking, maybe some pigeon popping and eleiminating some tree rats. I won’t be hunting game with it though. I’m on the fence between .177 & .22 and I’m open to suggestions.

I’m also on the fence on air sources. I can get a cheap ($45) hand pump on eBay or a $200 electric compressor or a scuba tank. The hand pump could be useful if power goes out but it looks like a heart attack waiting to happen at my age (62). Open to suggestions here too.

Last but not least is the rifle itself. The Benjamin Marauder is quite appealing. However I think I would like to have an adjustable regulator and I believe the Marauder’s is fixed? I like the idea of a magazine to feed pellets. I held a FX Streamline and boy howdy was I impressed with its quality, features and silky trigger. However, I am not sure I can justify the cost ($1k) for my first pcp seeing I have to buy a scope and all of the accessories too. I do like that the Benjamin is American made and would prefer either American, German, British or Swedish products over Chinese made rifles.

Also open to scope suggestions. Please feel free to share your sage advice for a newbie into the world of PCPs.

Vendor Sponsor

I entered the world of PCP with a Marauder pistol in 22 caliber. It was GREAT right out of the box, shoots into 1/2" across the back yard. You get a lot of shots with the factory settings right out of the box. I bought a Dragar 4500# tank off ebay and take it to the dive shop to get it filled when needed, cost about $8 per fill.

I bought a good scope which to me was the topper as it has an etched glass reticle and parallax adjustable down to 10yds.

I did add an aftermarket LDC which quiets it down some. Stock it is not needed, but if you adjust for more power and less shots, it gets louder.

Leaper's UTG 3x12 scope with etched glass reticle

After sending it in to have an air leak repaired, Benjamin sent me a whole new pistol, and they sent these pellets with it which grouped better than any others I tried, and I tried a LOT of them

You'll need a fill rig to use with the 4500# tank and I recommend EVERY component in the fill rig be rated at least 6000psi. You can buy these already made probably cheaper than you can assemble one yourself from ebayed parts.

After taking quite a few tree rats I drilled the t-port out a good bit, which added considerable whomp to the energy delivered at the end of the pellet's flight, head shots are pretty much the norm if you want one DRT. I was quite concerned with a wounded animal crawling into the neighbor's yard and expiring which would likely have her screaming bloody murder and calling the law.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-10-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your detailed response. How is the trigger on your Marauder Pistol? Is it similar to the rifles trigger which I think is slightly over 1 pound?

How did you adjust your regulator? Is it an external adjustment or do you have to tear it apart?

How many shots are you getting before you have to refil?

Do you have a springer and how would you compare the springer to the PCP? I just think I want a PCP but might be persuaded to go springer if there is a strong* enough case?

Vendor Sponsor

You can adjust the trigger. I have it so that I don't get a premature discharge before getting on target. It's pretty light, but crisp.

These guns are not regulated from the factory. Regulators are an aftermarket addition.

I never counted the shots, but stock seems like it would go through about 8 magazines before it got down to 1000psi. After drilling the t-port to .143" it gets less but kills much more quickly.

I have a good underlever Mike Melick tuned springer, they are all heavy to me, much cheaper than PCP but man, PCP is SO much more enjoyable in every aspect.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-10-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    IMHO if I had only 600$ to spend, I would get a nice springer like an HW98,HW77,HW97, TX200, where you don't need anything to fill it.

Boolit Buddy
    600 is the rifle budget and I know I have more stuff to purchase to support the PCP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

These guns are not regulated from the factory. Regulators are an aftermarket addition.

I have a good underlever Mike tuned springer, they are all heavy to me, much cheaper than PCP but man, PCP is SO much more enjoyable in every aspect.
    Where do you get the regulator? Is it externally adjustable? Who is Mike that tunes these and what is involved in tuning?

I have avoided going to the dark side.

Personally I prefer .20 or .22 for outdoors. .177 is fine for target or birds. But the bigger pellets put a lot more knockdown on furred critters.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Where do you get the regulator? Is it externally adjustable? Who is Mike that tunes these and what is involved in tuning?
    Mike Melick, Flying Dragon Air Rifles: http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/ind...ory&path=63_64

I would recommend you either join or search the parts of the GTA forum that pertain to your questions, you can find a LOT of answers there, probably any question you may have has been answered 20 or more times by some much more knowledgeable folks than I. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...9&action=forum

Boolit Master
    Check this one out

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/pre...pcp-air-rifle/
    I think it's hard to beat for the money. I favor 177 but you gave no reason the 22 would not be better for you.

Skip the hand pump and get a tank

I made the plunge to the dark side and started with a .22 Gamo Urban and a cheap Flea-Bay hand pump. I am glad I did, this rifle is super accurate, the only thing now is I want to upgrade to a compressor.

Steve.......
    Last edited by Steve E; 11-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Well after spending LOTS of time on GTA and AGN I finally jumped into the dark side and bought a P-rod. This thing is crazy accurate and I’m having the most fun I’ve had in years with a gun.

Boolit Mold
    I have tried many different pcp's and for a beginner gun I selected a Benjamin entry level 2000# maxfill. It had no regulator or magazine but was powerful enough to shoot through squirrels from head to tail. Also very accurate and not too bad to fill with handpump. I was about your age when I started. Since then I have gone from diving store to fill my tank to my own compressor and I also have regulated and non regulated guns. If your gun is unregulated you learn how many shots you get accurately and fill a little more often or get a tank and go to the diving store often. The magazines are very handy. Since you are just starting out there are many quality pcp's out there at a reasonable price, do a little research and jump in, you'll enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    Compressed air - first post in Air guns....... I like it. Welcome to the fourm
    Last edited by GARD72977; 01-06-2019 at 07:04 PM.