Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home built truck camper

Boolit Master

Home built truck camper

This thread is a continuation of one I started back in the winter: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Truck-camper/

To catch you up, I decided to build a non-cabover truck camper to fit in the back of my short bed truck. My initial desire for a truck camper was so that I could tow my boat and have someplace to sleep (besides a tent) that I could more easily heat and cool when the weather was bad. It was so hot here this summer that I stopped work until it cooled off a bit, but I scheduled to do some traveling next month and thought it might be nice if I could take my camper with me. I’m not planning on getting the interior completed by them, but if I can get the shell put together and the roof watertight than that will be enough to give it a few days tryout.

As of today I have the frame essentially complete and plan to start the roof and exterior panels tomorrow.

As you can see, I gave the front a little bit of a slant so it will be at least slightly more aerodynamic than a flat wall.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could see.... pics not showing up
    I use my Yukon like that when traveling. Fold over the rear seat behind the drivers seat and set up my bedroll there. Hammock is my prefered sleep but the truck is nice in rest areas ect. I set up a topper on my 96 GMC kinda like you are doing, just was in the way when I needed the truck to be a truck. The Yukon has 330,000 miles and still going so it stays set up for "wanderin"!
    Watching your build with interest.
    Last edited by rking22; 10-11-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Hmmm...I'm linking the pictures from a Google Sites page. Let me insert them as attachments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camper - 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	228661

Name:	camper - 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	228662
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    No pics in the first post but the attachments work.
    Looking good!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looking good! Years ago, I wanted to make one to slip in the back of my pickup - something that would advertise my woodworking/millwork shop that I owned. One of those things that just never got done. Glad you are making progress on your camper - would love to see more photos as you progress!

Years ago, my Dad had a friend who built his own plywood "pop up" type camper. Basically it was all plywood, a top and a bottom with lifts on each corner to raise the top up - looked like a box with a cover. He worked many many hours on it and the last thing he had to do was put the roof covering on. For some reason, he chose to stretch canvas over the roof for the covering and then paint it. It looked like it would work OK and he finished it up just before he and a friend were going to Wyoming IIRC to go antelope hunting. Well, they pulled the camper and somewhere along the way, he tossed a cigarette out the window as he was driving (this was in the very early '60s). It landed on the roof the the camper and "woof" - much to his surprise, he looked in the rear view mirror and saw that he was towing his camper but it was on fire. They pulled over, unhooked and pulled the truck away and tried to put it out but it burned up completely. They continued on after taking care of things and bought a tent to stay in while hunting. They were back in town for several weeks before the story got out - a small town and it didn't take long for the story to get around. Fortunately, he had a great sense of humor but I always felt sorry that his camper got destroyed as i know how hard he had worked on it!

As they say . . . "Happy Trails To You!" and I hope you get many trips with the camper you are building!

Boolit Master
    Having seen the devastation in the form of forest fires caused by fools who throw their cigarette butts out of car windows, I have to say (since no one got hurt) your Dad got a well deserved lesson!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I think it was his dads friend, did that.

Boolit Master
    Looking good, yours is going to be roomy! I had minimal, well actually , no headroom. Looks to be teardrop inspired.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Watching
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Interested and watching as well.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Several years ago I had a mid 80s Dodge Ramcharger 4x4, which I used as a hunting vehicle. I could take out the second seat, and there was just enough room for me to lay down in back.

My feet were in the shallow well behind the front seats, and my head was under the vent in the roof in back. I made acscreen to fit in the vent to keep critters out, and slept well.

I still miss that truck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Looking good, yours is going to be roomy! I had minimal, well actually , no headroom. Looks to be teardrop inspired.
    The inspiration was actually the Rayzr camper. These sell for around $8-10K real world from what I have discovered.

NRA Endowment Member

USMC 77, USRA 79

Fiberglassing the finished product would really help stiffen and strengthen the entire thing.. not hard to do and very weather resistant...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Bedbugbilly:
    "For some reason, he chose to stretch canvas over the roof for the covering and then paint it."

This was the traditional way to make waterproof decks on wooden boats in days gone by, heavy coat of paint on the deck then "lay" the canvas into the wet paint not stretching it. Then painting the top of the canvas filling the weave of the canvas with paint. One piece sealed cover that would flex with the movement on the boat.

Was going to post before and after of a 21' sailboat that I helped restore 10 years ago that has a canvas deck that has held up very well.

It is still a valid way to make a seamless waterproof deck/roof.

Even after shrinking the photos it still won't let me upload. Bummer, it is a cool boat and fun to sail.

Boolit Master
    I added some bracing and started attaching the plywood skin. Every joint is screwed and glued. I have the top and side panels cut and ready to go but I'm going to attach the roof first. I have to go to Lowes to pick up a couple more sheets of plywood. I'm also going to need some turnbuckles to hold it down.

Name:	skin.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	228760
    NRA Endowment Member

Moderator Emeritus

Most commercial campers are either 2x2 or 2x3 for weight reduction.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It has front and roof sheathing now.

Name:	camper - 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	228860 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camper - 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	228861
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Most commercial campers are either 2x2 or 2x3 for weight reduction.
    I had a Phoenix pop-up truck camper that was made just of plywood without a frame. It worked fine.

Moderator Emeritus

I was referring to weight reduction more than anything. Plywood and chipboard are both fairly heavy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I was referring to weight reduction more than anything. Plywood and chipboard are both fairly heavy.
    Yeah, it’s definitely heavier than it could be, but believe it or not I can still lift the corner off the dolly. I figure wind resistance will be a bigger problem than weight.
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast