Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home built truck camper

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like a fun project.
    Don't forget the roof exhaust vent.
    Don't want to go to sleep, and never wake up.

Moderator Emeritus

Giving me ideas... my truck box is badly rusted so I have been tossing around ideas for an aluminum framed and skinned pop up style camper(hard sided where the walls overlap) with a rear double door so I can still carry wide cargo like a sheet of plywood slid in underneath everything. Aluminum to save weight... pop up so I can stand in it to change clothes when camping. No frills, bed a small cook stove, place to stash a portable toilet when I am camping... I figure a sink and a small portable propane water heater that won't take up much space. Coolers for cold storage is fine for weekend camping...

Elkins45...what thickness plywood did you use?...I would think 1/4" would be plenty strong on a small structure like that.

Its really looking nice.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Elkins45...what thickness plywood did you use?...I would think 1/4" would be plenty strong on a small structure like that.

Its really looking nice.

redhawk
    I used 3/8 sanded for the sides and front, 3/8 sheathing for the roof and floor. For some reason 3/8 was $4 cheaper per sheet than 1/4.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    My reason for doing my own camper was because none of the factories produced a camper with insulation. Mine will have 3 inches r19

Boolit Grand Master
    I love these kind of projects. good point about vents. i'd do some windows w/ a vent of some kind. the humidity within after a night of sleeping in your box (breathing) will make everything wet. keep the photos coming.

Boolit Master
    Few years back I considered trying to make a truck camper. Seemed within my skill range but in the end I found a nice AWD Astro van and have been using that for my road trip mobile ever since. I really like the van approach now. I'm into photography and hiking, no hunting at all. My needs are a little different than most but it sure is nice to be able to sleep where I want to shoot (pictures) and not have to drive from a hotel. At my age, tents are totally out of the question!

Good luck with the build if you get half the use from that camper that I get from my van you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Check out ExpeditionPortal.com if haven't already. Excellent source of info for all sorts of builds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I love these kind of projects. good point about vents. i'd do some windows w/ a vent of some kind. the humidity within after a night of sleeping in your box (breathing) will make everything wet. keep the photos coming.
    I bought a couple of aluminum mobile home windows for the sides. You can see where I framed for them if you look for the horizontal member in the side wall.

It’s going to be a couple of weeks before any new photos. Other stuff to do...
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

look into the spray foam for insulation. they have a do it yourself kit that is easy to use and the r value is the best you can get.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12