Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Copper vs. Aluminum

Copper vs. Aluminum

Which is best? Will the alum. hold up to high cast velocities( 2-2500 fps)? I have only used Hornadys in the past with no problems. I assume they are gilding metal.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have used both and find Aluminium are best for me as they are much cheaper, I have no doubt both will stand the velocity you quote but only your rifle will be able to say which it likes best. The fastest cast load I have is my 357 max at 2,300 fps with a 160gr plain base, for some reason the max does not like gas checks and I am still working on that. I must say that my 458 wm groups so much better with Aluminium checks. Regards Stephen

Some of the softer al. Checks “may” need heattreating or annealing to take the spring back out of them so they size tight and can’t be pulled off.
    I shoot mine up to 25, 2600fps. after that.
    Same and in some cases better accuracy as I get with copper checks.
    If what you buy or make size on tight, they probably won’t need heattreating.

Boolit Master
    I started out using aluminum and several of them fell off. Switched to gator copper checks...no problemos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I started out using aluminum and several of them fell off. Switched to gator copper checks...no problemos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You guys live in gods country when it comes to checks, I never had a gator check come off without a fight. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I have only used the aluminum for two reasons. One, is when the gas check shank is undersized.......... and only small shank checks available are aluminum. Two, is for use on plain base bullets. Both have fulfilled my needs. Otherwise, I'll stick with copper, usually Gators.

Winelover

I haven't noticed any difference between my home made al vs copper 14/1000th's 30cal gc's. I'm only running them up +/- 2700fps in a 308w.

Haven't had time to test them yet but I did make a gc maker that makes a 17/1000th's copper gc for the 30cal's. Planned on taking a "known" load that uses the 14/1000th's gc's and test the thicker 17/1000th's gc's to see if the groups tighten up.