WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: need a case trimmer ...

Banned

need a case trimmer ...

... for .45-70 brass only, a good one that's accurate and repeatable.

your recommendations, please?

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    ... for .45-70 brass only, a good one that's accurate and repeatable.

your recommendations, please?
    With your need being for the 45-70 only, I would recommend the Lyman EZ-Trim. It works much like the Lee Hand held trimmers but with a much better shell holder to grip the cases. I use mine with a battery operated drill and have the different length stop pins for most of the calibers I load. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Im using one of the reddings for straight walled rifle cases. Has micrometer adjustment on the cut so set up and size is easy. another is the cutter is fixed and the case is turned always giving a square cut. I mounted minion a board then made a riser block for between board and frimmer to raise it up from bench so turning the handle I don't hit my hand

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman Universal. It can be had as a manual crank or as a drill crank. It is accurate and it uses carbide cutters that last. I bought a Lyman hand tool with carbide chamfer and deburring bits that I chuck in my drill. It all works pretty good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Im using one of the reddings for straight walled rifle cases. Has micrometer adjustment on the cut so set up and size is easy. another is the cutter is fixed and the case is turned always giving a square cut. I mounted minion a board then made a riser block for between board and frimmer to raise it up from bench so turning the handle I don't hit my hand
    is that the model 2400? if so, what extras were required for 45-70 brass?

Boolit Master
    You could use a case gauge if you have one. I put my brass in the case gauge and file down what sticks out using a belt sander with fine sandpaper. It removes excess brass in a hurry without hurting the case gauge. I don't hold the belt sander by hand-- I put in in a vise and treat it like a grinder. The flat sanding surface of the belt sander gives a very smooth lip on the cases.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

I believe so rfd, You may need to get a .457 pilot it comes with some a couple spacers and n extension to set up for shorter cases a set of primer pocket cleaners . I made an adapter to mount lyman vld chamfer and deburr in it so I could control chamfers better. On the stand If I redo it in the future instead of the open area of dead space, I will make a drawer for the accessories.

I haven't got around to "tuning" the cutters edges with a fine stone and then a brass bar with diamond to give it that very fine edge. I usually do this and a very fine chip breaker on the faces of the cutters, but it cuts so clean out of the box Ive been running it. On these cases Im only trimming a few thou each time so the chip breaker hasn't been needed. The chips drop off in little "C"s or "6"s out of the box. for the bottle necked I trim in a drill press set-up that has a balanced cutter fixed stop and carbide cutter cnc ground for brass at 2500 rpms.

For small volume case trimming the Lyman E-ZEE trim works fine and is pretty cheap if they make it in your caliber.

Banned

i want to be able to adjust the trimmed case length for particular PPB chambered rifles. it will vary from 2.092 to 2.100 in case length. the cases are not to standard gov't dimensions either, they're custom reformed a tad smaller along the case length to meet the tight chamber's spex. so i need precision, and i like the idea of a micrometer adjustment on the trimmer as on the redding or perhaps this sinclair/wilson. whatever holds the brass - collet, etc - shouldn't be a problem as the case rim is standard. however, due to the smaller case mouth, the pilot might not work. the .458 pilot on a forster classic trimmer failed - too large. i'll give brownells a call today on their sinclair trimmer offering ....

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...aspx?rrec=true

Boolit Master
    CH or Wilson same design.

Banned

went with the wilson trimmer, thanx for all yer input fellers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	178 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	228668

Boolit Grand Master

Something to consider with the Wilson style If your sizing smaller than standard the 45-70 std case holder may not hold the case from spinning when trimming. I have seen this with some straighter cases. If its only the neck your sizing down you may be okay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Something to consider with the Wilson style If your sizing smaller than standard the 45-70 std case holder may not hold the case from spinning when trimming. I have seen this with some straighter cases. If its only the neck your sizing down you may be okay.
    yes, i knew that might be a concern with brass that's been reformed from about the waist up. i ordered the .45-70 case holder for new or full length sized brass. if it doesn't work out i'll see about getting a custom wilson case holder.

Boolit Master
    Tap the brass base to seat in the holder and use a rod to punch out the brass. Most accurate trimmer I have used.