MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web or leather sling for 03A3?

Boolit Master

Web or leather sling for 03A3?

Which do you prefer and why?

Boolit Master

Leather is what I use and it has solely to do with looks! Can’t deny web carry’s as well
    And locks up as tight I know they do, classic rifle deserves a classic look.

Depends what your using it for ,just for looks leather. For carrying over the shoulder or a shooting sling I've always preferred the canvas sling .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

And I prefer the leather for sling shooting in competition. Everyone has their own preference. Try the canvas first since it is less expensive. If you aren't happy, then try the leather.

Boolit Grand Master

I used a version of the leather sling on my service rifle in NRA CMP matches it was thicker and didn't have the stretch other do. I did use the canvas sling occasionally in heavy rains to save the leather. I didn't care for the canvas since with the sling tension it seemed to pinch my hand more. Both are useable and can be used for more than carrying the rifle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It depends more if you are a target shooter firing military bolt matches or if you are a re-enactor wanting something authentic.

For range use in target shooting the leather sling is superior. I prefer the heavier duty 54" service sling from Champion's Choice
    http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ons&item=65120

In the ETO both M1907 leather and web M1 slings were used, depending upon available supplies.
    The M1907 sling was designated as standard for the 03A4 sniper rifle, but the M1917 or M1923 slings could also be used.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/...nd-M1903A4.pdf

In the Pacific and CBI the M1 web sling was preferred because it was more resistant to mold and jungle rot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I find 'looping up' with the M1907 pattern leather sling enhances my mediocre marksmanship. I use a low cost Pacific Leather and Canvas third world copy; while obviously not top grade leather, over several years it has had no issues and the leather has not formed verdigris with the brass fittings.

Boolit Master

As has already been said, it depends on what you want to use it for. For a good tight sling for serious shooting, I prefer the leather. But for everyday use and carry, I prefer the web sling. My preference might not suit everyone but that is my way. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 10-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Boolit Master

i like the cotton web slings for either m1 or 1903. stay away form the nylon web slings, them things will stretch and creep on ya when slung up tight.

Moderator Emeritus

I like them both, but for accurate shooting -- e.g., MY better scores -- I prefer the canvas. This is for one reason, being I fold it over my left arm for off-hand shooting, with the sling now extremely tight -- which seems to cut wobble immensely! I have several leather ones, including a custom one made for me by sling-guru Leslie Tam in Hawaii, but the canvas almost always beats out the leather in both holding it in place on my arm, as well as most importantly stabilizing the firearm. A decent, very short video by the National Shooting Sports Foundation may be worth viewing by you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtaLUbTwZM
    I'm happy you have interest in employing a sling. I'd regularly tell my Hunter Safety students, "ANY sling is better than none at all!"
    george

Boolit Master

My primary use would be for casual offhand shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    My primary use would be for casual offhand shooting.
    in that case i would absolutely go with the cotton web sling.

Boolit Master

Have competed with both. The 1907 is classy, but fussy, fiddly, complicated, and expensive. The OD green canvas is cheap, quickly, easily, and infinitely adjustable. Only real downside I've found to it is the metal clip at the rear is a bit noisy.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Bigslug,

You make a good point about the web sling being noisy. For match shooting, sling hook noise is not a problem. Being a veteran, let me say some guys wrapped the bottom swivel sling hook with friction tape to reduce the "jingle bells" noise. Other soldiers and also deer hunters merely unthreaded the sling hook and tossed it away.

The M1907 leather sling looks nice on an 03-A3, but the A3 was probably most often issued with a web sling. I collect web gear and have a dozen M1923 web slings. My calculus courses were the only life experience for me that was less complicated than adjusting the M1923 web sling. I assume the M1923 designer never used that thing.

Adam

I don’t compete in hi-power matches but I do shoot BAM matches and like the web slings look on my Constabulary Krag and 1903 Springfield rifles. I do have leather slings on my 1897 and Model 12 Winchester trench guns. Like the look and I often shoot these in cas matches with bayonet mounted.

Boolit Master
    Baltimoreed,

Thanks for the reply. I have no clue what a "BAM Match" is and I suggest you define it in future posts. Further, as a log-time competitor in pistol, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader matches, I have NEVER attended a match where "bayonets were mounted?" What is that all about?

Adam

Attachment 229048Attachment 229032BAM stands for ‘Bolt Action Military’, my cas [cowboy action shooting] club has started doing Span Am [with two revolvers] and Punitive Expedition [with a 1911] themed boltgun matches every so often along with our regular monthly cowboy matches. As a Non SASS affiliated club we are free to do whatever the heck we want. I tend to dress in a uniform of some sort and usually shoot a scenario or two with a bayonet hung on the end of my rifle or shotgun, just for fun. We are not affiliated with GAF [Grand Army of the Frontier].
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 11-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Baltimoreed,

Thanks for the clarification. That stuff looks like fun which I would endorse! I have about 50 bayonets and a few uniforms, in case of need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Have competed with both. The 1907 is classy, but fussy, fiddly, complicated, and expensive. The OD green canvas is cheap, quickly, easily, and infinitely adjustable. Only real downside I've found to it is the metal clip at the rear is a bit noisy.
    Is that why some called it the Widow Maker sling?
    I have one on my SMLE. Couldn't find a British sling but got this one for two bucks unissued but with crusty metal. Cleaned up nice enough.

Had a 1907 sling on my Mauser many years ago, they were cheap back then. Another unissued sling for next to nothing.

Attachment 230579
    I prefer a leather military sling for high power rifle competition.
    I bought this one locally.
    The holes are numbered and it is longer.
    The keepers are exceptionally tight when used.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast