RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
StainLess Steel Media

Thread: How light for plinkers in 30-30?

Boolit Master

How light for plinkers in 30-30?

For pot meat loads Iíve used as light as 90 grains in 30-30 pest removal plinking and small game; have a chance to try some 70 grain ranch dogs. My usual powders are bullseye and red dot. Anyone play with pistol boolits this light?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm interested in this as well. Want to do something similar with 303 British.

Boolit Master
    I've used as light as 55 grain HBWC's. Find someone who's been loading RB's in the caliber, and start with their load and go from there.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

I collect all things .32. If you have something you don't need, please let me know!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve loaded Lee 113gr FP’s down to 800fps for shooting gray squirrels. Todd/3leg

I had a 77gr RN for 32acp that I played with. Got about 2" at 60 yds. My best light bullet is the 100g
    Hornady 1/2 jacket- 6.5gr Unique/ 1200fps. This shot less than 1" at 60 yds. Not bad for a 16" barrel
    336 with K3x scope. For my 30/30 Varmit loads I use 110gr Speer HPs and Sierra RN meant for the
    30 carbine/37.0gr IMR-4064 at 2700 fps. These did 1" at 100 yds. I just bought some 90gr HPs but
    they haven't arrived yet. I also tried balls for squirrel loads and didn't have much success in 30/30
    but in a old 721 Rem 30/06 they shot well enough to shoot squirrels at 40yds. At 20yds off rest it
    would chew out one hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Iíve loaded Lee 113gr FPís down to 800fps for shooting gray squirrels. Todd/3leg
    Without the gas check or with? I've not tried it without but I use these at 2000 fps +(not for squirrels).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Without the gas check or with? I've not tried it without but I use these at 2000 fps +(not for squirrels).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    With gas checks, I used these boolits alot, sized and lubed them all the same. I shot a lot these at 1500 to 2000fps also. 2400 and 3031 were powders I used for the higher velocity loads. Red dot was used for the light squirrel loads. Todd

I have a few boxes of a discontinued Hornady 32 ca pistol SWC (90 grains). I size them down a little and use them in my 30-30. I also buy moly coated 32 pistol bullets for 30-30 plinkers. They work great out to 100 yards and even farther.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I have shot the Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone sized to .311 over light loads of Red Dot with good results in .30-30.

Seemed like the perfect rabbit/grouse load when deer hunting. Low noise. Rifle sighted for standard loads at 100 y shot dead to sights with those at 25 yards. And it was very easy to tell them apart.

There is always the option of a standard weight boolit sans gas check over 3 or so grains of fast powder.
    You'll go far providin' you ain't burnt alive or scalped."

Will Geer as Bear Claw in "Jeramiah Johnson"

Boolit Master

I have years ago. Suggest you start with 2.0 gr Bullseye and work up to 2.7 gr.
    Larry Gibson

ďDeficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.Ē
    ― Nikola Tesla