RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiapas Firearms

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Chiapas Firearms

I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 falling block.

Thanks
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 10-10-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Boolit Master

I don't know about quality, but, I'm happy to report that their firearms have the proper rifling & twist in their leverguns.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 trapdoor.

Thanks
    Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.

Boolit Master
    For what you will pay for a reproduction you can get a nice original.

Boolit Master
    Chiappa is the same company as Armi Sport. When the son took over he just changed to the family name. Quality improved also.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I have a '92 Win. replica made by them and imported by Cimarron. It was kind of expensive, and I wish the wood was nicer, but the fit, finish, and metal work is satisfactory. There's a write-up on Cimarron in the Oct. 2018 issue of the American Rifleman, which includes some information on their Italian replica manufacturers, Uberti, Pietta, Chiappa, and Pedersoli. Trapdoors, original or reporductions, aren't that hard to find on the internet auction market. If I was looking for one I'd probably look at one of the H&R replicas.

Boolit Grand Master

Uberti, Pedersoli pretty much samo samo.... Then Chiappa then Armi Sport then IAB at the bottom of the heap. If I were buying new I would go for # 1 or 2 first. Beware the Trapdoor replicas have some changes from the originals and not for the better If I were looking for a trapdoor I would try and scout out an original first. We just sold one with a bright shiny bore for $750.00.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I agree with others, find an original Trapdoor.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.
    Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.

Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.
    So a falling block type rifle is what you would like ? If so I think your probably correct in pursuing a replica. Ive no experience with originals or other brand replicas but Ive really enjoyed shooing my dads browning made 85 replica in 45-70 this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That’s a beautiful gun. If I were looking at a Browning, I wouldn’t have to ask about quality.
    I put that same peep sight on my .45/70 Marlin maybe thirty years ago. The original flat sights keep getting ripped off in thick brush.

Boolit Buddy
    It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.

I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.

Boolit Master
    I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.
    Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse)
    So how do you clean up. There are a lot of people with muzzle loaders where I shoot, but no one shooting BP cartridges that I know about. The muzzle loaders take down their guns and wash them out with soap and water. Then they blow them dry with compressed air before oiling them.

In a lever gun, can you just run a brush with solvent through the barrel and then some patches followed by some oil? I can’t see myself washing out my Marlin with soap and water.

Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.
    mine not so different - I have a flush bottle with a bore size plastic tube fitted - hold the gun belly up - one squirt down bore - then a wet patch - another flush - another wet patch - third squirt down bore then dry it out - oil - put it away - yes way easier than cleaning up a smokeless gun - difference is you can "get away with" putting a smokeless gun in the rack dirty - that dont work with black.

Boolit Master
    Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Gf

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Gf
    I don't worry about it with BP but will check it every day if I ever burn that awful pyrodex stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast